• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is a S&W99 really the same as a P99c?

I found a used for $400, something seems off to me though. Too much crap out on the intnerdweb, so I thought I'd ask you guys. I did search, now I'm confused as to what parts are the same and what is not.

AFAIK, the S&W99 is the same as the Walther P99. As for the P99c, I know it's the compact version, but I'm not sure of compatability of parts.

Give S&W a call...They make both the S&W and the Walther, so they'll be able to give you a definite answer.

The P99 is made entirely by Walther and imported by S&W.

The frame of the SW99 is made by Walther and the barrel and Slide are made by S&W. I don't know about the other parts.

There are differences in the material of the slide and barrel as well as the contour.

Some good info here:
http://www.praxagora.com/lunde/WaltherP99FAQ/

and here:
http://www.waltherforums.com/vb/index.php

thanks. Seems they are very similar.

What do you guys think of the price? I'm assuming he meant it was the compact, as that's what I was asking for.

Sorry, can't really help you on the price since I've never looked for the compact version of either.

Ok, it was in really good shape so I bought it. I spoke to S&W who said it was virtually identical except for the slide, the frame and internals should be the same.

Congrats on the new pistol, enjoy. I forgot to ask before, is the AS trigger?

My P99 is my favorite pistol.

Congrats on the new pistol, enjoy. I forgot to ask before, is the AS trigger?

My P99 is my favorite pistol.

Is that the one that has the DO then SA trigger pull? the first pull feels light with two distinct parts then the second is heavier with one smooth pull? <-dry fire.

thats what mine does^.

I'm still a noob. [thinking] Haven't been to the range yet.

Last edited:
It sounds like that's what you have, although when live firing you'll notice a difference. What you're experiencing now on your second shots is the DA.

When you first load you have the option to leave it in SA mode with a long light trigger pull, that's the AS(anti-stress) part. Or de-cock using the button on top of the slide for a first shot double action trigger pull. (for carry that is my preference) Your follow up shots will all be SA with a short trigger pull.

Try this while dry firing. Obviously make sure unloaded. Rack the slide and either de-cock or not, dry fire but do not release the trigger. With the trigger still in the reward position rack the slide again, this will simulate a normal follow up shot as far as the pistols striker action is concerned. Now release the trigger and you'll see what it's standard SA trigger pull is like.

The P99 also has a short trigger reset which is fantastic.

Enjoy & let us know what you think when you get to the range.

CD

It sounds like that's what you have, although when live firing you'll notice a difference. What you're experiencing now on your second shots is the DA.

When you first load you have the option to leave it in SA mode with a long light trigger pull, that's the AS(anti-stress) part. Or de-cock using the button on top of the slide for a first shot double action trigger pull. (for carry that is my preference) Your follow up shots will all be SA with a short trigger pull.

Try this while dry firing. Obviously make sure unloaded. Rack the slide and either de-cock or not, dry fire but do not release the trigger. With the trigger still in the reward position rack the slide again, this will simulate a normal follow up shot as far as the pistols striker action is concerned. Now release the trigger and you'll see what it's standard SA trigger pull is like.

The P99 also has a short trigger reset which is fantastic.

Enjoy & let us know what you think when you get to the range.

CD

I see, thanks.

I'll hit the range at some point this weekend, not matter j=how many rain/snow "events" we have. [grin]

Back
Top Bottom