interesting range trip

So I wanted to go to mfs but they close at 6 and I had no idea until I got there. So I said I'm half way to afs screw it I want to try out my new vp9 which I love btw. I'm the only one on the range at about 745 pistol lane the other guy left. So I'm doing double taps rapid reloads etc etc etc. Putting a combat pistol through combat pistol stuff as much as I can at a 10 yd indoor anyways.

Then all of a sudden I see this piece of metal come flying back at me and nail me square in the chest. It was moving at a pretty good clip too. Reminded me of paintball when you get shot in the head and you can see it coming and can't do anything about it. Anyways here's the piece that hit me.

Scared the crap out of me. I'm not inexperienced but i'm not Hickok 45 either. So I guess any thing I could've done to avoid this. Here's a the thing that hit me.

Total aside I bought a case of magtech that ammo is total s**t.View attachment 144472

- - - Updated - - -

I was using magtech fmj 115 grain fwiw

That'll happen.

Indoor ranges are the number one place you need to wear eye pro. Lots of opportunity for weird angle riccochets, even in well designed places.

+1 on the magtech. My P226 will eat anything, but I don't like it and avoid it when possible. Glad you're OK

It's Darwin reminding you to wear safety glasses.

I drove a friend to the hospital who got hit by a fragment of a bullet bouncing back - they took 16.5 grains of lead out of his face.

Been hit by stuff several times shooting there.
Never hard enough to do any damage and for me it's usually a small piece of copper jacket if I can find it.
Not sure how common it is but maybe they need to replace some of their hanging rubber mats?

I also have a case of Magtech 115 gr with a different issue - reliably produces 1 to 2 squibs per 100 and I have used up a few hundred. It's not worth the hassle to do anything with it - incl shipping it back. But I found an acceptable use for it - as practice ammo for my Sig 938! The squibs seem to go through the 2.75 inch barrel every time!

yes Magtech $ucks recently.

O I had glasses and ears on and everything. I was just comparing it to paintball. I was more lax about wearing glasses between shots because it was humid and I was alone. But the most I did was turn away and wipe them. That's some scary s**t with your friend man j hope he's okay.

Yeah the magtech shot okay. Just had one bad primer in 300 rounds. But I feel like the crimps are poorly done. And the ammo is smoky as hell. Weird thing however my Taurus pt 92 loves it. I blew out the bullseye in like 30 rounds. But my beretta hated it my groups were fist sized with 30 rounds

Twelve years of age, Boy Scouts, indoor range for Riflery merit badge, first day. Waiting for the scheduled time and the indoor range to clear, I got hit in the chest by jacket material. I was standing WELL behind the line, somebody was shooting jacketed contrary to the rules of that range.
The RSO / Scout dad that putting on the merit badge class absolutely lost his sh!t on the club member with the big revolver.

When we shoot bowling pins indoors bullets come back quite often. Usually not with enough force to do any damage but enough that i've been there on 2-3 occasions when someone took one to the chest/stomach hard enough to leave a mark. Usually full deformed rounds, not fragments.

Club just started allowing steel targets, too...so I may beef up my eye protection to something that covers the sides a bit better, as well.

I've had that happen a few times at my local club during steel plate shoots. I had a piece of the jacket hit me just above my left eye [shocked]. But I did have eye protection but damn that was close.

O yeah I had eye protection on. I've had stuff hit me in the legs and arms before it was just scary because I watched it come at me. And just couldn't react in time but it got me square in the chest. No harm no foul.

The magtech worked okay no super issues just not good quality compared to blazer or even my cheap Hollow points.

Interestingly enough though my Taurus pt92 loved it I shot the best I've ever shot with the gun with the stuff. But my beretta 92 hated it. Smoked a ton and the groups we're much wider.

The only time I've shot Magtech, was their 44 magnum ammo. It shot fine except they were way underpowered compared to other factory 44 mag ammo I shot. But the cases were GTG for reloading.

I dunno about the 44 but the crimp and case look like crap on the 9. Reloading for 9mm is something I may do down the road but not now. But the case wall looks thin on the ones I have anyways

Two months ago i caught a piece of lead on my upper leg.....two inches to the left of the boys! It happens. I wear jeans long sleeves ans always eye pro at the range.

Back
Top Bottom