Interesting question during an ammo purchase

when that happens to me (and it does) I always say, "no I am not 18 I am 37..... is that ok?" that always throws them for a loop.

I agree with drgrant. Probobly some stupid anit gun dolt. I love opportunities like that with people because I always politely take the opportunity to school them in a very professional way and sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. Either way I make sure to get my point accross. As they certainly do.

I also add..... "I am exercising my 2nd ammendment rights as you choose to exercise your 1st ammendment. Dont forget my 2nd made your 1st possible."

that always throws a wrench in the works too. [smile]

Rob

I miss Pennsylvania...I once walked up to the Walmart ammo counter wearing a Punisher t-shirt (black with a big skull) and purchased six or seven hundred rounds of ammo, rubber gloves and handsoap. Not even a blink.

[laugh]

No one blinked because you didn't include yard-size trash bags.

My favorite "Walmart Ammo buy" was a box of tampons, a supersized bottle of Extra Strength Tylenol, & the last 5 boxes of the cheap .45acp. The dolt that eventually showed up to unlock the cabinet & ring me up had the nerve to say "why do you need so many bullats?". I said "because the Midol ain't working today" & gave her the hairy eyeball to express my displeasure.

My favorite "Walmart Ammo buy" was a box of tampons, a supersized bottle of Extra Strength Tylenol, & the last 5 boxes of the cheap .45acp. The dolt that eventually showed up to unlock the cabinet & ring me up had the nerve to say "why do you need so many bullats?". I said "because the Midol ain't working today" & gave her the hairy eyeball to express my displeasure.

[rofl]

I've purchased ammo from the Walmart in Raynham, Walpole, Bellingham and Plymouth and I've had only good experiences. They have all asked me for an FID card before even opening the case. No one has ever said anything to me about the use of the ammo either. That's messed up.

It sounded like it was her first day as asst manager. She sounded like she had no experience in the sporting goods section either.
You don't need to show your DL to purchase ammo. Wacky...

Last edited:
I've purchased ammo from the Walmart in Raynham, Walpole, Bellingham and Plymouth and I've had only good experiences. They have all asked me for an FID card before even opening the case. It sounded like it was her first day as asst manager.

It's part of the assitant manager training program. She was just an oblivious turd.

She sounded like she had no experience in the sporting good section either. Since when does Walmart ask to see your DL when purchasing ammo? They don't!

In NH?

Clearly that associate couldn't find a cow, inside a barn, at a slaughterhouse. Uneducated at best. I blame the person who taught that associate about working at SP.

Nope, blame Walmart's programmers and trainers on this stupidity. Their POS terminals (that's Point Of Sale, not what you were thinking!) come up with a display that says "check FID card". Strike one. Stupid programmers who don't know that MA has LTCs as well.

Now add to it stupid trainers who tell their people that they MUST follow the prompts exactly and you have an assistant manager who can't think for herself. I had a few words with the manager about this - she knew the correct procedure and corrected the idjit assistant manager.

Friday night, looks over my ltc for almost 2 full minutes tilting it back and forth in the light lol. then ask me for another form of id so i give him my license ok another 2 minutes. well my mistake i wasnt done shopping he told me i would have to come back (even though it took 15 minutes to find someone to open the case). he told me " i cant have you walking around the store with bullets" )i had more than bullets on my hip if u know what i mean) LOLOL . so i came back this time i had a lady go over my id and ask me if i was 21, thats when i told her she hasnt seen many of those (ltc). the place is just so f'd up, if the prices were not so good i would love to give them a hard time and never go back.

I was at the Walmart in N. Attleboro buying bikes for the kids B-days this past spring, and I asked the guy if they still sold ammo. He said no. Then I asked if they sell American flags, and he said no. I think I should have said that I was gonna cancel my order...... (after some snooping around I found both, but bought elsewhere..............)

I like when they double bag my stuff. It's heavy and usually rips the bag otherwise. I usually ask them to if they aren't already doing it.

There is a nice older guy that works the Framingham counter. i like him, he seems to know his isht.

Older guy with a cane? He is a very nice and personable guy. I stop in from time to time just to look around and see whats in the case. If he is there i usually end up chatting with him for a few minutes.
As for the store manager(S) I used to work in the building as a contractor. I am very surprised that the management was capable of waking up and finding their way there due to the extreme lack of any intelligence whatsoever. It baffles me that retail outlets like that make any money just because of the gross incompetence of the management staff.

You guys must never have shopped at an NH Walmart. I always get asked for my NH drivers license, but then again I am early 20's so I expect it. I have never had anyone question me about the ammo I've bought even at the walmarts closer to Mass (like the one on DW highway).

All of my ammo purchases at Walmart have been pretty smooth (minus the time it took for someone to get to sporting goods with the cabinet key). No one's ever hassled me about anything, and one time a younger kid (who was a customer, not a clerk) even started asking me about what it takes to get an LTC.

Of course, then again, I don't normally buy my ammo at Walmart. [laugh]

Funny, the last time I was at Walmart the guy at the register tried to sell me a Remington 700 and was REALLY interested in how my various EBRs handled under various scenarios (rapid fire, long range, etc.) Never asked for an ID, never commented on the 200 rds of ammo. Glad I'm not in Mass. anymore.

It ain't Walmart guys, it's where you choose to live. MOVE.

I remember buying 6 boxes of Federal 550 round bulk packs, 3300 rounds. The reaction from the associates was priceless, especially since they had to walk it to the front to be rung up because the sporting goods register wasn't open. Even customers were looking at me strange when they saw the side of the boxes say "550 ROUNDS".

I remember buying 6 boxes of Federal 550 round bulk packs, 3300 rounds. The reaction from the associates was priceless, especially since they had to walk it to the front to be rung up because the sporting goods register wasn't open. Even customers were looking at me strange when they saw the side of the boxes say "550 ROUNDS".

I would have smiled back and politely say I have 3300 cute little squirrels in my yard.

Nope, blame Walmart's programmers and trainers on this stupidity. Their POS terminals (that's Point Of Sale, not what you were thinking!) come up with a display that says "check FID card". Strike one. Stupid programmers who don't know that MA has LTCs as well.

Now add to it stupid trainers who tell their people that they MUST follow the prompts exactly and you have an assistant manager who can't think for herself. I had a few words with the manager about this - she knew the correct procedure and corrected the idjit assistant manager.

I think thats what I was getting at. Well said!

last wallyworld ammo buy was 12 ga for the club - about 30 boxes IIRC.

Sporting Goods lady, didn't blink an eye, but I did get a few "looks" on the way out, as it was not bagged.....

However, there was another guy buying ammo, and he commented on the quantity...."gotta be ready for the zombiepocalypse!"

I recently bought ammo at Framingham WalMart. The new store manager is from Colorado and he is pro-gun. Nice guy. He did say he has a lot of trouble hiring and retaining good employees, though. Sucks to be in Framingham, that's all.

The last time I saw ammo at a Walmart was in Iowa when I was on vacation last summer. I chatted with the guy at the gun counter for awhile, talking about what the laws were like in MA. First off, he politely implied several times that I must simply not understand the laws in MA because they couldn't possibly be as bad as I described. After that, he kept pushing me to stock up on ammo to bring home with me, and even tried to get me to buy a rifle to take home. The difference in attitude was amazing.

Also, just to mention, they did have a policy at that store to check FOID cards for Illinois residents, since this store was very close to Illinois. If you weren't specifically from IL, though, you just needed to be 18 or older to purchase long guns or ammo, no questions asked. The guy even showed me a laminated flow chart covering the policy. It was literally "is the customer from IL?" -->(no)--> "is the customer 18 or older?" -->(yes)--> "proceed with sale".

That's one I wouldn't have appreciated........it wouldn't have gotten a nice reply if I chose to answer it.

My assumption when I buy ammo at any Wal Mart in MA is I will be asked a dumba$$ retarded question. I'm surprised when I'm not. I can't believe people actually go into big box stores like Dicks/WM etc, and assume there are any knowledgeable people working there. It's like going into Fing Home Depot or Lowes and expecting to get home improvement advice from them, or for them to even know WTF a 2X4 is.......Cmon.

How I answer it depends on my mood at the time.....but most of the time I realize these people are put there because they exist and not for their knowledge base, its just a BS job to them....so most of the time I'm nice. I've had my STFU days though....where I just ignore them, don't answer shxt, give them my LTC , pay and walk away.

Last edited:
The last time I saw ammo at a Walmart was in Iowa when I was on vacation last summer. I chatted with the guy at the gun counter for awhile, talking about what the laws were like in MA. First off, he politely implied several times that I must simply not understand the laws in MA because they couldn't possibly be as bad as I described. After that, he kept pushing me to stock up on ammo to bring home with me, and even tried to get me to buy a rifle to take home. The difference in attitude was amazing.

Also, just to mention, they did have a policy at that store to check FOID cards for Illinois residents, since this store was very close to Illinois. If you weren't specifically from IL, though, you just needed to be 18 or older to purchase long guns or ammo, no questions asked. The guy even showed me a laminated flow chart covering the policy. It was literally "is the customer from IL?" -->(no)--> "is the customer 18 or older?" -->(yes)--> "proceed with sale".

I faced a similar situation in Utah a couple years ago. It started off with an older guy asking me where I was from and I replied "Massachusetts." Without batting an eye and completely serious he asked me... "wow. They let you leave?" I said "Yeah. This time, but that is the next step isn't it."

Ahhh! A Walmart Thread. Good, because I'm just in the mood for a rant!

I know there is much diversity in the workplace in company the size of Waltards, but for the sake of brevity I can narrow down Wally World employees to three basic worker categories:

1. Mothers/Retirees looking for a bit of extra income/something to do.
2. Displaced workers/College kids just passing through waiting for a job to open in their field.
3. Morons.

I've dealt with the first two the way you pretty much expect in the marketplace: Find an item, bring it to counter and purchase it. Exchange pleasantries as the mood befits you, and out the door you go. But I'm not here to talk about them. I'm here to talk about category number 3. Now you can mix and match any of the 3 categories above as you like, but if number 3 is in the mix, it will be the most prominent characteristic no mater how you slice it.

Sure, sometimes "number threes" get to be shift manager, night manager or even store manager, but that does not remove them from the third category. Nope. It just emboldens them. It should be stressed that just because they have the ability to shuck past stocking tampons in aisle 7 to become some kind of manager does not remove them from category number 3. Regardless of where they land on the Walmart Employee Hierarchy, These people are dumb enough to believe every myth about firearms and ammunition that passes through their ears, yet still haven't figured out that somehow these facts might be flawed, as it is still perfectly legal to purchase all these icky guns and ammo (along with the publication of the same name). Maybe I shouldn't call them dumb, but these people would stop pissing if store policy stated that bladders didn't exist. Now, I fully expect them to do their job by locking up the ammo and checking my ID when I purchase it. That's fine. I don't believe in punishing the messenger for corporate policy. But to think they are entitled to give me their opinion on my purchases, or ask me if I'm going to be on some cops & robbers-type TV show is pretty God damned annoying. Does this assistant manager's question mentioned in the OP really think someone's going to be answer with, "Yeah! Boy am I pissed off at my boss. I'm going to unload every one of these into his ass."

It's bad enough that there seems to be only one friggin key to the ammo cabinet in the entire store, and the holder of said key is never anywhere to be found. I shouldn't have be scolded when purchasing my three box limit. I know, Miss "48 Hours", you don't think much of me for actually owning firearms and purchasing ammo, I get that. Well, it's pretty even because I don't think much of you for being an ignorant toad with your finger two knuckles deep in your nose as you stand in judgment of me for exercising my Second Amendment rights. But I pretty much keep my social opinions to myself when making a business transaction with a complete stranger giving business to the company that writes my paychecks.

Seriously, I have to know, do they snicker and laugh when someone comes up to counter with a giant box of Magnum condoms? "Aw, come on buddy, you're bulge ain't that big. Why don't you put those back and get the smaller pack, Pee-Wee." How about the fat guy who cruises through the check out with a cart full of cupcakes, frozen foods, and soda. Do they offer their opinion on health and diet? Perhaps these people should pay more attention to their job rather than ask stupid questions as to what law abiding citizens are going to do with their purchases. Furthermore, maybe store policy should be updated to state that harassing customers with ridiculous questions or offering opinions on their purchases is a fireable offense. Here's a piece of advice even a moron can follow: Smile politely to the customer and say, "Thank you for shopping at Walmart. Come again." Or maybe actually impose that no bladder policy I mentioned earlier and let me watch them try not to piss themselves as I purchase 300 rounds of .40 cal. Winchesters.

Oh, how I wish it were painful to be stupid. [frown]

Back
Top Bottom