Interesting article on why the NYPD keeps shooting bystanders.

It is my understanding that the Boston PD also use the NY Trigger in their Glocks.

Hmm, I'm not sure if this is true. It certainly is possible. I sold my SOCOM to a BPD LEO a long time ago, I remember him grousing about his G23 banging up his thumb but I don't think he complained about the trigger.

-Mike

I respectfully disagree. It take a lot of time but with practice it is achievable. I practiced double action trigger pulls almost ever day to get the memorization down. The trick is to remember where the break point is on the uptake, then stabilize and break the shot. This is instead of breaking the shot in one complete pull.

It's still more or less masochism. I hope that you did this only because work handed you a gun and didn't allow you to change it. Otherwise coping with terrible triggers is more or less wasted brain space and muscle memory, and it can even lead to bad habits getting developed. Staging a trigger is usually terrible.

-Mike

No, the guns should be remotely disabled. When a cop needs to shoot a perp, he should have to call dispatch, explain the situation, and then have his shoot request vetted by a committee that will determine whether the shoot request is valid and reasonable.

If the committee approves, then the officer's gun will be enabled for 30 seconds to facilitate the shoot. If the encounter lasts more than 30 seconds, the officer will have to file a shoot extension.

Example requests:

1) "Offcier down! My partner has been shot, and several gang members are coming at me with guns and knives!"

Response: Request denied. The alleged attackers are just turning their lives around.

2) "This ignorant m*****-f***** is acting like an ***hole and deserves to be shot."

Response: Approval pending further review.

Forgive me. I was thinking like a reasonable person. [crying]

In a gun shop I picked up a Sig pistol that had that 12+ or whatever trigger, and tried to fire it. I literally broke out laughing, it was so absurdly hard to fire. There is no way you could shoot accurately with that kind of pull.

you should have seen my 18lb M&P40 trigger. She's 5lb even now an silky smooth as far as tupperware assisted DA guns go.

I think SW just threw the MA triggers when the MPs first came out w no quality control figuring anyone who bought the guns in MA would get a trigger job anyway so they just had super loose tolerances on the upper end as long as it was min 12lb

Shoot a gun at 5lbs and then shoot one at 2-2.5lbs. The difference is night and day. Even the MA M&P triggers are complete shit shows. There is no reason to have guns with triggers that heavy.

In a gun shop I picked up a Sig pistol that had that 12+ or whatever trigger, and tried to fire it. I literally broke out laughing, it was so absurdly hard to fire. There is no way you could shoot accurately with that kind of pull.

My buddy is a FFDO (Federal Flight Deck Officer a/k/a armed pilot) and the USP 40 that he carries has a similar terrible trigger. At first he could not hit anything with it. But after a while, he got used to it and developed a very smooth, hard squeeze. He adapted and learned to shoot it well.

My buddy is a FFDO (Federal Flight Deck Officer a/k/a armed pilot) and the USP 40 that he carries has a similar terrible trigger. At first he could not hit anything with it. But after a while, he got used to it and developed a very smooth, hard squeeze. He adapted and learned to shoot it well.

Why not get a trigger job? Are they weighing triggers before the match? err Flight?

One other thing. Unless you have a trigger gauge, your stated trigger pull weights are worthless.

I did an experiment with a bunch guns owned by friends and people I met at the range. I brought my Lyman gauge and asked them what they thought the pull of their trigger was. The general trend was that most people significantly underestimated the weight of their trigger.

Most glock owners think that since their Glock trigger has a 5.5 lb connector, its a 5.5 lb trigger. WRONG.

I let people try my Les Baer 1911, which has a very nice trigger. Nobody estimated over 3 lbs for the trigger. It actually tests out 4.2 to 4.4 lbs.

I respectfully disagree. It take a lot of time but with practice it is achievable. I practiced double action trigger pulls almost ever day to get the memorization down. The trick is to remember where the break point is on the uptake, then stabilize and break the shot. This is instead of breaking the shot in one complete pull.

That is a terrible way to shoot a DA revolver

It depends on how you are shooting.

Its fine for bulls eye. But terrible for IDPA. But then again, why would you shoot bulls eye DA.

So I guess you are right. Ha.

My goal with revolvers has always been a nice smooth stroke (yes, I know. I said stroke) that is as straight back as possible. Its a suprise break with no attempt to time the shot with when the sights are "just right".

Don

Back
Top Bottom