Interested in H&K USP Compact .45 ACP, but...

I have narrowed my search down to this one handgun. Has anyone seen one around South East New Hampshire, Northern Mass, or Extreme southern Maine? I am ready to buy.

Cory...

Being that you are a NH resident, your chances are probably very good you'll find one in either NH or ME. Don't expect any in MA, as they are a quite the rare comodity here. Most MA residents who own one are not very likely to let it get out of the state, either (unless you pay QUITE the premium for one). It is a great gun and you will love it once you find one.

Best of luck

Damn it! I just found out that this gun only carries 8 rounds. What is it with me and .45's? It seems I can find any variation I want except the exact specifications I need.

I need the following:
mid sized frame smaller than a full sized 1911 frame, but larger than a sub compact
Double/Single action with a hammer
double stack 10-12 round magizine

Last edited:
JackO said:
If you talk 45 ACP only, sounds like Paras to me.

Paras are great, but they seem to all be single action only. I actually really like the size of the p13/tac four, and it has the capacity I am looking for. I just am not crazy about the single action. There must be something in the double action of the USP Compact that makes the capacity less. [crying]

Mod Hat On!

This is getting off topic. Cory, if you would still like to keep this WTB up, we will leave it up. If you're still not sure if you want an HK USPc 45, please start up a "Help me decide what I want" type thread in Firearms, Equipment, & Ammo.

Thank you

wherewolf said:
KTP had a used full size USP in .45 cal for $650.00, this was about 2 weeks ago.

HTH

Yeah, I was there Saturday. I guess I'm just too picky. I'm just kind of put off by the size of a full sized frame. I just don't spend a lot of money on guns, and I want to spend my money wisely. they have a used Para P13 there too. It is just about exactly what I wanted, but it is single action only. Maybe dreppucci007 is right. Maybe I should nuke this thread and go back to a what to buy. [sad2] I'm just affraid that right after I buy something, someone wil have exactly what I am looking for, for about the same price I paid.

Cory, have you checked Manchester Firiing Line, thought he had a USP Compact in the for sale counter the last time I was at the range but do not recall caliber.

stosh said:
Cory, have you checked Manchester Firiing Line, thought he had a USP Compact in the for sale counter the last time I was at the range but do not recall caliber.

I've been meaning to check them out, but haven't yet. Maybe I will try to get there this weekend. Thanks.

In fact, I'l call them tomorow.

I need the following:
mid sized frame smaller than a full sized 1911 frame, but larger than a sub compact
Double/Single action with a hammer
double stack 10-12 round magizine
There are very few guns that meet that requirement. Some you could look at include:

- ParaOrdnance P13 and derivatives.
- Kimber Ten II (available in 5" and 4" compact sizes)
- Wilson Combat KZ45 Compact

The polymer Kimber Ten II and Wilson Combat KZ45 have not been that popular. It isn't clear to me whether those designs are really mature.

Glock's don't have hammers. The Glock 21 is full-size (too big for your requirements) and the 30 is compact (too small for your requirements).

The HK USP compact has an 8 round mag, so it doesn't meet your capacity requirements. The USP full size is too big for your requirements.

The Sig 220 and 245 are both single stack and don't meet your capacity requirements.

Beretta doesn't do 45 ACP.

Smith & Wesson has several 45 ACP models in their Third Generation line. They do have hammers and are DA/SA. They even have compact models. But they are single stack with capacities of 9 or less.

Another thing to consider is that 12+1 rounds of 45ACP is freakin' heavy.

I suggest that you reconsider your requirements and break them into 1) must haves versus 2) want to haves. I think you'll have a very hard time finding what you want because 1) DA/SA is not that popular in the US, and 2) in the US 1911 derivatives dominate the 45 ACP market.

Last edited:
Mod Hat On!

At first this belonged in Classifieds, but it is officially far from that now. I've moved it to this forum where everyone can continue their advice and discussion about this. When Cory has figured out what gun to buy, a new classified post can be made.

Thank you

I really do appreciate everyone’s input. This information has all been very pertinent to my particular query.

Is the HK USP compact a double stack? And if it is, why is it only 8 rounds when they fit 12 in much shorter frames?

USP Compacts

Riley's Gun Shop in Hooksett should have them. I have a USP Compact 40 w/ 12 round mags and a USP Compact 45 w/8 rounders. They are my main carry guns. Don't compromise. These may be the finest combat pistols in the world. If you want more rounds, the Springfield XTD's are about the only option, unless you go to a full-size H&K USP. Here's a suggestion, if you haven't joined a F&G Club, Country Pond in Newton, where I am a member, has an FFL. As a club benefit, they will order any pistol, rifle, or shotgun for wholesale plus shipping and a sliding club fee(about $30.00). I saved $100.00-$150.00 per pistol ordering it through the club. I'm ordering the new USP Compact Tactical soon. List price is $1115.00. Club price is $890.99 plus $30.00 fee. $1115.00 or $921.00? Which do you like?

www.countrypondfishandgameclub.com

Last edited:
Buffalo Bill said:
Riley's Gun Shop in Hooksett should have them. I have a USP Compact 40 w/ 12 round mags and a USP Compact 45 w/8 rounders. They are my main carry guns. Don't compromise. These may be the finest combat pistols in the world. If you want more rounds, the Springfield XTD's are about the only option, unless you go to a full-size H&K USP. Here's a suggestion, if you haven't joined a F&G Club, Country Pond in Newton, where I am a member, has an FFL. As a club benefit, they will order any pistol, rifle, or shotgun for wholesale plus shipping and a sliding club fee(about $30.00). I saved $100.00-$150.00 per pistol ordering it through the club. I'm ordering the new USP Compact Tactical soon. List price is $1115.00. Club price is $890.99 plus $30.00 fee. $1115.00 or $921.00? Which do you like?

www.countrypondfishandgameclub.com

That sounds like a good idea. Support the sport by joining a local club, and get a discount on firearms to boot. How much is a membership to Country Pond?

First year there is an initiation fee. I forget what it is. After that it's $110.00 per year. Club is 100 years old. Great members. Pin shoots, cowboy shoots, social activities, outside rifle, pistol, and archery ranges, trap range, and indoor pistol and archery ranges accessible 24/7 by keypad. Your membership will be paid with the savings from one pistol purchase. I know trap guys that ordered Beretta Silver Pigeon's and saved like $700.00 per shotgun. My Compact 40 with 2-12 round mags was about $740.00 with fees. My Compact 45 was $810.00. Maximum club fee no matter how much the gun costs is $20.00. They also order bulk ammo once or twice a year. $5.00 club fee, even if you order $500.00 worth of ammo. The VP orders the guns and ammo. Name is Earl Tibbets. He's a great old guy.

CORY, i am a newbie here but i would go with the hk and carry a second mag if you feel necessary.if you cant stop it with a .45 then run like the wind in the other direction.on a side note i have the gun you are thinking about if not bought yet,love the gun handles great and carries well.like others said you are lucky you dont live in mass the hk goes for stuoid money.i bought mine private sale 4 years ago and will never part with it.well never isnt right,the right price may sway my mind.but i dont think anyone would pay my price.

I agree with with Marine96. If 8 rounds plus 1 in the pipe isn't enough for concealed carry, then maybe more range practice is needed. 9 rounds is more than enough for my needs, and I don't carry a spare mag. If 9 plus a spare isn't enough, get an H&K MP5 or MP5K.

Heckler & Koch-No Compromise

cory ashe said:
Paras are great, but they seem to all be single action only. I actually really like the size of the p13/tac four, and it has the capacity I am looking for. I just am not crazy about the single action. There must be something in the double action of the USP Compact that makes the capacity less. [crying]

Find a gun store that has a Para with their Light Double Action (LDA) trigger and try dry firing that in the store.

A Para with an LDA may be just what you want.

I know where you are coming from. I always spend six months or so figuring out exactly what I what the gun to do and exactly what the perfect gun to do that will be before buying it.

Regards
John

Another thought

I suppose if you're set on a .45, you're set. I actually prefer my Compact .40 over my .45. I have the .45 just because I like H&K's. The facts are the .40 S&W cartridge outperforms the .45 auto in velocity and energy, the two main performance standards of a cartridge. I haven't checked the wound performance, but I would imagine the .40 to be at least equal to the .45. A 165 gr. Federal Hydra-Shok outperforms any .45 auto. Check the ballistics for yourself. I think the 230 gr. .45 auto is strictly a testesterone cartridge. It is slow in velocity and its energy is nothing special. In addition, my Compact .40 has two 12 round mags. Another one in the pipe and you have 13 rounds of .40 caliber grief, plus a thinner grip. I suppose at the normal self-defense range of 7-15 feet it really makes no differance, but if my life is on the line, the pistol I want to have is my USP Compact 40.

Back
Top Bottom