Installing night sights (with a steel drift punch)

I have read a number of threads about using brass and/or nylon punches to install new sights (Night Sights in my case). Well, my night sights arrived yesterday and I didn't have a nylon or brass punch, but I DO have a steel punch. First thing I noticed is that the allen wrench that came with the new night sights (made specifically for the M&P) does not fit the screw that holds the (stock) rear sight in place. Hmmmm. Oh well, I'll just go ahead and replace the front sight and see whether a steel punch will work. Yup, it does work. I was as careful as I could be and it was a bitch to get out but get it out I did.... eventually. Tapped in the new sight and spent considerable time trying to center it, which I think I accomplished. Now I'm getting to the point of the story. If you HAVE to replace sights with a steel punch it CAN be done, HOWEVER: If I could do it all over again I would wait to get the brass, or better yet take it to someone qualified. The post mortem is that I dinged the slide a little where the dove tail slot begins. So the moral, haste makes waste and always have the proper tool(s). Now, can anyone tell me how to touch up a small ding on an M&P slide?[thinking]

Lazy people do the most work. Use the correct tool for the job. You knew the results. Send it back to Smith and have them refinish it or buy a new one if the small ding bothers you.

The risk you run using a steel punch on night sights is you my crack the sight bulbs and make the sights useless, also as you have experienced you have dinged the slide. This would not have happened if you used the right tools You were lucky this time. We only charge $25.00 to replace sights. How much did you save by doing it yourself? The ding will be hard to fix because the slide is stainless and you can't touch up stainless with a cold blue.

Last edited:
Pounding on night sights is generally a no/no. As said, you risk damaging the tritium vials and rendering them useless. The proper tool for the job is a sight pusher, no pounding just turn the handle and slide them in.

The small ding doesn't bother me too much. A little black sharpie and I think I'd never notice. BTW once I got the correct allen wrench, the rear sight came out pretty easily (way easier than the front). Suffice it to say, replacing the rear sight using the steel punch was easy and nary a nick or scuff mark! With a little care (and luck I s'pose) it turned out very well!

Back
Top Bottom