Information on Remington 700

I recently picked up a Remington 700 VS SF rifle in .223. Using rings and a cheap scope I had I shot about 100 rounds through it and it is absolutely incredible. I'm ready for a new scope for long distance shooting and am thinking about the Supersniper 20X42. I have a SS 10X42M on a different rifle and love it. My problem is rings/bases. Can anyone recommend a good base set and rings? Also, and excuse my ignorance here, but what is the difference between a "long action" Rem and a "short action" Rem 700? Thanks for the info.

Short action is for short cases going up to .308,
.30-06 would be long action.

I use a EGW one piece base with Burris extreme rings with a SS 10x40. works very well, I haven't had any issues with them. I have had some issues with Warne, but other have not. Badger makes some of the best stuff, but you pay for it

Scope

I have heard many good things about SuperSniper, but you should be the best judge since you already own one. For rings and bases, I recommend not going cheap. I have Badger Ordnance 0-Cant base on mine, and Badger Ordnance Medium rings, which bring the scope as low as possible. The key is to get the scope as low as you can without touching the barrel. Badger Ordnance is THE best brand, it costs a decent amount, but its built tough and everyone loves it, you won't find any negative reviews. Our military guys swear by it, and so does everyone else.

The difference between long action and short action is as it sounds. The action is longer on some Rem 700s than on others. This is due to round size. In the larger magnum calibers, the action is longer because the rounds are longer (at least this is my understanding). So, the screw holes for bases are in different spots, as the receiver is longer. You have a short action, you need to buy a base for short action, otherwise nothing will line up, the screw holes won't and also if you have the integrated recoil lug that won't fit right either.

ltr1.jpg

My Remington 700 LTR .308, Badger Ordnance base, Badger Ordnance rings, Badger bolt knob, Harris bipod, and IOR Valdada 4-14x50 side-focus illuminated scope.

Last edited:
It appears many of us have a Remmy LTR [wink]

On mine, I've got:

- Leupold Mark 4 1-piece picatinny-style base
- Leupold Mark 4 30mm picatinny-style rings (high)
- Leupold Mark 4 Long Range Tactical M1 Scope w/30mm tube, 4.5-14 x50mm Side Focus with Illuminated Mil-dot reticle
- Leupold 4" sunshade
- Badger Ordnance tactical bolt knob
- Harris Bipod
- Allen Buttstock Cartridge Carrier

102_0624.jpg

I got standard leupold 2 piece base and standard leupold rings on my 700PSS. While not as heavy duty as Mk4/Warne, they work fine for target shooting.

Back
Top Bottom