• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Indoor Range Target Height

A few members of my pistol team were having a discussion after our .22 bullseye match this evening and wondering is there is any required or recommended target height? We consulted the NRA rule book and couldn't find any information. We're interested in moving the nominal target location further down so that there is more margin for error vertically for the other users of the range.

I remember doing a search for the same thing a couple years ago when I put my airgun range in the basement and not finding any standard for NRA competition. I also spent a good bit of time with the rule book and you're correct that there's nothing there. I believe ISSF has a standard for international competition (1.4 m comes to mind, but you can check), and I suppose there's some merit in considering that on the off chance that someone from your range gets involved in international events, but strictly in terms of the NRA rules I think you have the option of doing whatever you like.

but strictly in terms of the NRA rules I think you have the option of doing whatever you like.
Thanks Dick. Moving them 6-8" down from where they currently are could help in two ways. The first gives us a little more margin of error for the new shooters who have been beating on the deflectors. It would also move the majority of bullet impacts off of some repaired areas of the backstop that have been taking a beating.

This is intersting. There are specific rules for lots of target parameters, but I couldn't find anything re: height.

If it were me, and all my shots were low, then obviuosly the target was too high, and I'd want a re-fire! [smile]

This is why I mostly stick with Trap....my excuses are all well-rehearsed![rofl]

Mike,
That sounds like a good idea! I'll bring it up for discussion next week at Littleton when the team gets together.
Jim

We (Westford) were thinking of taking a poll of the other clubs in the NVPL to see what their height is at. We've been fighting the issue of range damage and it seems like a simple change that we could make that could have a big benefit. We wouldn't want the height to be drastically different than other teams in the league.

As mentioned above, the only thing I can find concernng height is in the NRA international pistol rules, and that is 140cm to target center and eventhat has some leeway.

6.8.1 Target Equipment for 25m and for 25 yard & 50 Feet
(a) The height of the target center (center of the 10 point ring) measured from the level of the shooting
platform, shall be 140 cms. (55 in) ± 10 cms. (8 in).

Let me measure how high my bore is when I'm shooting. [grin]

I've noticed variation in heights throughout the league. The one time it bothered me was when it felt like I was shooting uphill. (I forget which club this was) Lower doesn't seem like it would be as much of an issue.

Let me measure how high my bore is when I'm shooting. [grin]

I've noticed variation in heights throughout the league. The one time it bothered me was when it felt like I was shooting uphill. (I forget which club this was) Lower doesn't seem like it would be as much of an issue.

I agree that I have more difficulty when I feel like the target is too high. It is definitely a little disconcerting to have significant differences in ranges for our matches. One we shoot through concrete pipes that are underground - definitely takes some getting used to, but worse is that at the same range the ports are low and the target wires actually interfer with my shooting. I have to really widen my stance and slump down, not to touch the wires with the red dot.

Guys,
Interesting topic. Any determinations about this? Might be worthwhile for us to fashion different length target holders just to move the impact zone around periodically if there is some consensus that varying the target height would not be a big issue.
Jim

Guys,
Interesting topic. Any determinations about this?
We (WSC) measured ours and they were 59" from the floor to the center of the bull. We're probably going to modify the hangers to put them at ~55" (4" closer to the floor). That would put it right in the middle of the international pistol target height.

Back
Top Bottom