Incorporating shooting into my resume

I thought mine was too, and when I started my most recent job, a couple of my folks asked me about shooting. They had found a facebook photo of an action pistol competition. It turns out my privacy settings weren't right. My profile page on FB had some image permissions.
Facebook has simplified its security settings, so it is easier to control permissions. And I don't have any shooting pictures on Facebook.

If the hobby/sport fits directly, or to a point indirectly, I'd put it in. My dad is an middle to upper management qualifications, he was also an avid golfer, and the circles he ran in, most of the people doing the hiring/firing were as well. He only touched that he was an USAF veteran, didn't put into detail that he was in fact a crew chief on a C-141 Starlifter.

Most of all Kaisha, great luck in find a job.

I thought mine was too, and when I started my most recent job, a couple of my folks asked me about shooting. They had found a facebook photo of an action pistol competition. It turns out my privacy settings weren't right. My profile page on FB had some image permissions.

Such is life in the digital age. But let them find that rather than volunteering it.

Which is why I do not exist on facebook, myspace, twitter, or anything else similar. Outside of my professional profile on Linkedin, you will be hard pressed to find anything about me on line for free.

Great points regarding Hobbies being inappropriate for the task at hand: ie getting a job. But let me make two more salient points.

1. Let's use the power of math. Do you believe that the majority of employers will find it a positive addition? Mind you, first subtract the percentage that are not gun friendly. Then subtract the people who don't believe Hobbies should be on your resume. The end result will be that somewhere between 5-30% remain. If, on the other hand, you omit firearms references, you only risk loosing out to the people who believe that your hobbies are salient. If you use these (NES) responses as a non-representative sample (I can see my stats prof rolling in his grave) perhaps 10-30% believe hobbies are salient. So...the bottom line is the negative impact of including firearms sports on your resume is far greater than the potential benefit. Your choice but with something so important on the line...

2. I've made a career in marketing communications for nearly 20 years. I can tell you that it's a heavily liberal career track. Do with that info what you will.

I wouldn't do it, just based on the fact that so many shooting-enthusiasts think it's a bad idea. If a bunch of people who hang out on the Internet talking about guns think it's a bad idea to mention shooting, then it's most definitely a bad idea.

Putting hobbies and interests on a resume is in general a bad idea. Resume space is valuable space, and you shouldn't be taking up space with useless information that doesn't pertain to the job. I know that some articles recommend doing this: but take those articles with a grain of salt, and listen to the people on the ground, people who have resumes come across their desks and make the hiring decisions. They're the ones who know what they're talking about, not some random person quoted for an article on the Internet somewhere.

However, if asked in an interview about any hobbies, you could potentially take that situation and discuss your Appleseed Instructor-In-Training. I can personally attest to the fact that you have great people skills and are great at motivating others to achieve their goal. Talk about how well you work with all kinds of different people, and how friendly and outgoing you are, and how you love learning new things and taking in information.

What sort of jobs are you applying for?

I wouldn't do it, just based on the fact that so many shooting-enthusiasts think it's a bad idea.

I have been persuaded to think the same

Putting hobbies and interests on a resume is in general a bad idea. Resume space is valuable space, and you shouldn't be taking up space with useless information that doesn't pertain to the job. I know that some articles recommend doing this: but take those articles with a grain of salt, and listen to the people on the ground, people who have resumes come across their desks and make the hiring decisions. They're the ones who know what they're talking about, not some random person quoted for an article on the Internet somewhere.

I am beginning to re-think placing a hobbies/interest section on my resume after hearing many good suggestions on the forum. It actually upsets me a little that I was conditioned to think it was beneficial to place a hobbies/interest section on my resume after taking a class, for college credit, from a professor, that I paid a lot of money to attend, and a requirement for the college to graduate and now find out so many disagree. What I thought was useful information is now being portrayed with very good suggestions that it may have hurt my career search thus far. Very disappointing.

It actually upsets me a little that I was conditioned to think it was beneficial to place a hobbies/interest section on my resume after taking a class, for college credit, from a professor, that I paid a lot of money to attend, and a requirement for the college to graduate and now find out so many disagree. What I thought was useful information is now being portrayed with very good suggestions that it may have hurt my career search thus far. Very disappointing.
You can lump much of what else you learned in college with that too.

Welcome to the real world where all that matter is what you can produce and bring to the table.

I am beginning to re-think placing a hobbies/interest section on my resume after hearing many good suggestions on the forum. It actually upsets me a little that I was conditioned to think it was beneficial to place a hobbies/interest section on my resume after taking a class, for college credit, from a professor, that I paid a lot of money to attend, and a requirement for the college to graduate and now find out so many disagree. What I thought was useful information is now being portrayed with very good suggestions that it may have hurt my career search thus far. Very disappointing.
I'm sorry to say it, but a lot (almost all?) of placement information that you get from the college placement office is completely full of crap.

I loved college. I loved it so much that I stayed there for 3 degrees and almost 10 years. But one thing you have to learn is how to separate the wheat from the chafe. That is true as much for technical knowledge as it is for placement knowledge.

College teaches you how to learn. The specific skills that you learn may (or may not) be useful later.

I had "target shooting" as a hobby on my very first resume coming out of college, I ended up having a great discussion with the Director of the department who would end up being my boss's boss. We talked almost the whole time about varmint shooting, the history of the .220 Swift and the relationship between bullet weight and rifling twist and he shared his African safari pix with me. He even cancelled my limo and gave me a ride to the airport. I am sure it got me the job. I've dropped the hobbies section as it's no longer in vogue but still remember that it got me my first job...

If you're a competitive shooter, a qualified trainer and you travel the country attending shoots and events I would include all of that on the resume. That shows you have a competitive spirit, you have the makings of a teacher/trainer and you have a passion for what you do. Of course if it's under the hobbies & interests section it'll probably only be one line. I would also be sure to include some other kinds of things that you do to show. You can't be all about one thing. As others have pointed out you want to focus on the your qualifications most of all.

I have been persuaded to think the same

You can lump much of what else you learned in college with that too.

Welcome to the real world where all that matter is what you can produce and bring to the table.

Experience takes it over education a lot of times. I have never listed hobbies on my resume' people don't care.

Last edited:
Ksisha it really depends on the company you're applying to. Some places will either not care or value your commitment to a "sport." Others will be very excited about hiring a "chick who digs guns."

On the down side, some companies have HR departments that will trash your resume instantly based on the info you put into the original post.

I generally have about 3 separate resume's (if not more) that I send out, each emphasizing a different area. I've done a lot of different things, so if I was applying as a credit analyst or medical finance management job, the resume would look very different than the one I sent out for a tech job. The IT people don't want all the details of my finance experience, just a very brief mention and job description.

I would suggest you research the companies you're applying to and send out the resume that fits the job/company. In this market you may have to take what you can get. In better times you could figure that anyone who'd have a problem with your interest in firearms would be an ass to work for anyway.

Worst that can happen is they trash the resume. Only you can judge if it may be an issue and if you care about it.

G/L with your search!

I've never considered it professional to list hobbies or interests on a resume. My resume is about one thing - my qualifications.

That nails it.

I think once you have a certain amount of time in the workplace your resume should be about why you are qualified for the job...not your hobbies. When they are listed people usually list the same safe boring BS - reading, travel, dining out...etc. You are taking a chance that your potential employer is pro gun. More people are afraid of guns than are open minded towards them. I would never list shooting on my resume.

Which is why I do not exist on facebook, myspace, twitter, or anything else similar. Outside of my professional profile on Linkedin, you will be hard pressed to find anything about me on line for free.

I even discontinued my LinkedIn profile. I did a google search and my resume came up with my phone number and address... I obviously could have just taken down my resume, but figured to get rid of the whole thing.

I think it is important to list some of your hobbies and interests. Anyone who knows what they are doing will have read the resumes of other people who work for them. If you can find someone with similar interests as other folks in the group it does help the "team" become cohesive faster as they have common interests. People who get along and dig each other are happier and more productive than a random bunch of people thrown into an office who can't stand each other.

I am a freelance stagehand and am in the arts and entertainment industry (read liberal and "diverse"). On my resume I have listed that I posess a MA firearms liscense. While some of you find that odd and I have ben asked about it several times I use it as a talking point in interviews. In MA prop guns are legal for anyone to own and use without blanks. However with my liscensing I am able to use or directly supervise the use of said blanks. I find that most employers find this type of forethought interesting and file it away for future use ( I have gotten 4 week long jobs from this) and it provides something that sets me apart.

All of that being said what is your field and will it be beneficial to your career path? If that is a yes then go for it, otherwise leave it off.

in this market and as a hiring manager I can say two things:
1) keep the resume concise and on topic - illustrate how you will add value to the employer.
2) with all the excess applicants in the market right now, prospective hiring managers have their pick of the litter. They will look for any reason NOT to read your resume, they likely have no shortage of other applicants resumes to run through after yours.

I think that the inclusion or not of hobbies would depend on the position you were going for. I don't know what you do for work but for example if you are going for white collar - financial they would look at it different than something in retail or manufacturing.

Best of Luck!

Back
Top Bottom