• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

In Massachusetts, do reloading components have to be locked up?

I just thought about this today. Obviously all firearms and live ammunition have to be locked up when unattended, but how about bullets, casings, primers and powder?

Chris

The storage regs are in 527 cmr 13.04. Describes how and how much can be stored, without (or with) a permit. There should be a sticky In ma laws. the link to the regs is also on the goal website. Btw, permit refers to a storage permit issued by the fd, not the pd.

Baically, as i understand it, If you do not have a permit,they have to be locked, but I think it s optional if you have the permit.
(If that is not correct, someone please correct me)

The storage regs are in 527 cmr 13.04. Describes how and how much can be stored, without (or with) a permit. There should be a sticky In ma laws. the link to the regs is also on the goal website. Btw, permit refers to a storage permit issued by the fd, not the pd.

Baically, as i understand it, If you do not have a permit,they have to be locked, but I think it s optional if you have the permit.

Not sure why OP isn't checking GOAL website for this info.
ALL explosive material must be in locked storage. If you need a permit, then your locked storage will probably be blastproof as well.

I just thought about this today. Obviously all firearms and live ammunition have to be locked up when unattended, but how about bullets, casings, primers and powder?

Chris
Like many things in MA having to do with guns, the answer is unclear, but there is a plausible argument that may make you want to take the most conservative road.

527 CMR 13.04(1)(e) provides that:
(e) Exempt quantities [those inside of the permit limits] of small arms ammunition, primers, smokeless propellants and black powder shall be stored in original containers and such containers shall be stored in a locked cabinet, closet or box when not in use.

The issue it seems to me when it comes to non-volitile reloading components not directly covered by the CMR language (bullets, casings) is how the regulation defines "ammunition". Did the drafters have something else in mind or will they punt to the MGL?

If the latter, keep in mind the expansive definition of "ammunition" under MGL ch. 140, s. 121:
“Ammunition”, cartridges or cartridge cases, primers (igniter), bullets or propellant powder designed for use in any firearm, rifle or shotgun. The term “ammunition” shall also mean tear gas cartridges, chemical mace or any device or instrument which contains or emits a liquid, gas, powder or any other substance designed to incapacitate.
There are good arguments for and against the above interpretation, but remember admin regs are simply drawn up by bureaucrats and enforced; they can mean whatever the person writing them wants them to mean. On the flip side, I know very few cops, if any, who are aware of the CMR.

Like many things in MA having to do with guns, the answer is unclear, but there is a plausible argument that may make you want to take the most conservative road.

Thanks for the concise explanation, this should be a sticky in the reloading forum. I always hear of these rumors of police in a home for a well being check and finding an improperly stored firearm. Just wanted to make sure I was complying with the law. I have too much brass to lock up, but everything else is.

Chris

Thanks for the concise explanation, this should be a sticky in the reloading forum. I always hear of these rumors of police in a home for a well being check and finding an improperly stored firearm. Just wanted to make sure I was complying with the law. I have too much brass to lock up, but everything else is.

Chris

Talk to Stan Sokolowski...

As my reloading inventory grows, I am finding that I am running out of space to store all my evil reloading components. As a question to the masses in MA, are you keeping your unprimed brass locked up or do you leave it in a bag, bin or other unsecured container?

I suppose I could always run to HD to get another locking toolbox..but that would cut into my reloading budget :p

I built one of these in my backyard to hold all my reloading stuff...

transforming-vault-house.jpg

What the deuce is that? You could start up your own reloading factory in that thing!

Charles.

small arms ammunition, primers, smokeless propellants and black powder shall be stored in original containers and such containers shall be stored in a locked cabinet, closet or box when not in use.

Keep it locked up (at least loaded rounds, primers & powder).....it seems a bit less clear for empty brass.

As my reloading inventory grows, I am finding that I am running out of space to store all my evil reloading components. As a question to the masses in MA, are you keeping your unprimed brass locked up or do you leave it in a bag, bin or other unsecured container?

I suppose I could always run to HD to get another locking toolbox..but that would cut into my reloading budget :p

I took a cabinet, installed a hasp and regular keyed lock. It holds all my brass buckets, powder, primers, etc. Could probably make something similar using a found cabinet off craigslit.

I don't think locking up empty brass is necessary. If this were true every gun club in the state would be in violation, not to mention the scrap yards.

I'm looking at a permit I got in 1980 to "Purchase smokeless powder in quantities not to exceed 15 lbs".
And it has under restrictions "Must be kept in original or metal container and properly stored".
It does not expire and there was no fee (back then, I'm sure there is now).

Pretty vauge and they wanted to have it posted close to where it was stored so Firefighters knew what they were near. Not being on the FD, I wonder if they take the time to look at stuff posted on a wall. I remember getting a talk on storage at the time from whoever I picked it up from at the Chiefs office. 2 simple rules, don't store near the furnace and keep away from open flame. Times have changed.

I aslo remember a rumour that was going around at the time I got the permit, and probaly why I got it, as to your homeowners insurance might be voided if there was a fire and you didn't have this storage permit. Never had that validated though.

I bought a 36" x 72" cabinet with electronic lock. Has 5 shelves and I store all ammo and reloading supplies in it.

Back
Top Bottom