Improving PPC score

I'm new to competition and really enjoy it. So far, I've shot in PPC. I used my M&P40c and my Glock 17. I notice that I'm the only one with a poly gun. I've seen others using heavy 6 inch revolvers and a lot of 1911's, some look like custom jobs. All full size with none less than 4 inch barrels. I did shoot better on the second try. Maybe it was the extra length of the Glock, maybe the experience, maybe both. Of course, now I have the bug and I want to keep trying to beat my last score. So, my next purchase will not be a 1911, but a visit to the optometrist and a pair of glasses.

Usually, I practice at 21 feet, but after PPC, I'm sending the targets all the way down to the end of the range (50ft). I'm getting much better groups with the Glock 17 than the S&W40. Surprisingly, I'm doing almost as well with the Glock 26 as the Glock 17.

1. Wouldn't it be best to compete with the gun you carry most? I can't imagine the other regulars at PPC with the 6 inch S&W revolvers are carrying those. They certainly will be more accurate than my stock Glock, but is that practical?

2. What should be the next step after PPC?

I think I'm going to keep shooting my Glocks in PPC as it better prepares me for real world use of the firearm, but I am tempted to add a 5" 1911 to the safe, just to add another 30-50 points to my score. I might try the next one with the G26.

You have to decide what is more important: a better score or more proficiency with your carry gun. Glocks are not exactly the best pistol for PPC. A 1911 with the right trigger and sights would be more appropriate if a high score is your goal.

For now, I would stick with Glock and get as much practice and match experience as possible. One important detail to remember is that PPC stages have generous times. Make sure you use ALL of the time allowed; you should fire your last shot just before the buzzer goes off. PPC is an accuracy game and you should use all the time allotted to achieve this accuracy.

Where to go? There are IDPA, USPSA, and Steel Challenge matches held regularly in the New England area. These matches are listed elsewhere in this forum. Take your pick; you will find that these disciplines are more friendly toward your Glocks.

1. Wouldn't it be best to compete with the gun you carry most? I can't imagine the other regulars at PPC with the 6 inch S&W revolvers are carrying those. They certainly will be more accurate than my stock Glock, but is that practical?

Those folks want to win. They are not considering PPC as defensive practice. If I was in a defensive situation, I certainly would want to be able to shoot accurately, and PPC is all about accuracy. But in a defensive situation, you are unlikely to be standing still, with your target standing still, at mid-day on an open range. PPC does not prepare you for that type of dynamic situation.

PPC is a game. Decide what you want to get out of the game.

2. What should be the next step after PPC?

That depends. What is your goal? PPC is a fine game. Personally, I prefer something with movement and more time pressure (IDPA, USPSA, Steel Challenge), but whatever floats your boat.

I think I'm going to keep shooting my Glocks in PPC as it better prepares me for real world use of the firearm, but I am tempted to add a 5" 1911 to the safe, just to add another 30-50 points to my score.

The inner gamer emerges [laugh]

That depends. What is your goal? PPC is a fine game. Personally, I prefer something with movement and more time pressure (IDPA, USPSA, Steel Challenge), but whatever floats your boat.
I guess, since I'm a rookie, the next easiest challenge beyond PPC.

I guess, since I'm a rookie, the next easiest challenge beyond PPC.

I'm sorry, but I don't know what you mean by "beyond" PPC. You can spend a lifetime competing in PPC, or USPSA, or IDPA, or Bullseye. One isn't "beyond" the other -- they are just different. If you want to focus on pure accuracy, then Bullseye might be your game. If you want to run and gun, then USPSA might be your game. IDPA is similar in some ways to USPSA, but theoretically more defensive-minded.

Decide what kind of shooting you want to do. If you aren't sure what those games are like, go on youtube and watch some videos.

Last edited:
Decide what kind of shooting you want to do. If you aren't sure what those games are like, go on youtube and watch some videos.
Ruger has a set of very good videos covering the shooting sports on their website. They'll give you a clearer idea of what is available.

Back
Top Bottom