Important features to analyse before buying a circular saw

I have a cheap $40 ryobi that I got in 2009 when I bought my multi family. Corded. Done everything I need.
Back up to my 20 year old milwaukee v18 cordless. .. which will do everything on its dying battery except rip cuts or plywood. It just cut down two 36" doors no problem.
I do alot of stuff, but don't work construction, the basic shit, from decent brands have never let me down, although lights and lasers would be a great addition

My brother has the 5.5" saw you get for FREE with this deal. Plenty of power to cut 2x4, 6, 8, 10 at 90°. Lightweight. For $99.00 I'm jumping on this to supplement my corded Milwaukee.

I have the saw also, and it's my new favorite tool. so light and cuts great. Used it building the chicken coop and a deck last spring/summer. Thinking of adding one of the impact tools, also have the portable fan.

Maybe it's just me but the quality of the Ryobi tools especially the plastic housings seems incredibly cheap. Milwaukee tools also carry a 5-year warranty. I can't speak specifically to the saws but I have a bunch of impact wrenches ratchets cut off wheels and they have all run flawlessly. The stuff I leave at the shop in New Hampshire gets used and abused everyday and two and a half years later they're still running.

Cordless wise my favorite circular saw is my 36v makita, it’s left bladed which I like since I’m right handed, easier to see my line making cuts and the rear handle I think is easier to maneuver.

I’m a huge fan of makita anyway and I really like that they have so many 36v tools so I can utilize the 30+ 18v batteries I already have vs buying into a larger battery platform.

The guy that invented this saw is a twat, though. He tried to get the CPSC or some other .gov to mandate the use of the device so he could make a fortune. It's also a one shot deal, when it fires it basically costs 100 bucks or something to repair the saw.

-Mike
I'm not about mandating it, but the fact is that the table saw has claimed more limbs and appendages than any other power tool. Were I a contractor, or professional carpenter using such a saw with regularity, I would want one. Especially if I had employees using it. If I were the Super Intendant of a vocational school with a carpentry program, etc... This device has its place.

As for circ saws.... since I got my Milwaukee M18 I haven't touched my corded one... I should throw it up for sale. Also, since I got my M18 impact wrenches, I haven't used my air tools. In fact I junked my 30 gal compressor and went down to a pancake just to fill tires and run the nail guns I have. That M18 shit is the real deal.

Back
Top Bottom