• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Important features to analyse before buying a circular saw

Hi All! Have you ever gone to buy a circular saw but you don't have any idea of what features are important to select the correct one for you? Let me explain to you some of the most important things you need to know: power rating, this power helps to determine the speed of the cutting, the diameter of the wood it can cut and how deep it could cut it. Weight, it is related to its power rating, the more powerful it is the weighter it is. Price, this is not related to its quality. The type, electric or battery powered. I found this article helpful A Circular Saw Buying Guide Prepared by An expert For Your Guidance - Tasteful Space Do you think this information is useful? What other features do you analyse before buying a circular saw?

I never thought that much when buying a power tool. I didn't know until now circular saws had features, except to know enough the blade spun at a high rate of speed. I still use a 60 year old black and decker my dad bought when I was a wee lad. works like a champ still without signs of slowing down when other saws are collecting social security.

Just like a pistol, get one that feels good in your hand or it will suck using it for hours on end.
Get one that has a sawdust chute that can be directed away from your work and or with the wind and maybe supports a dust bag.
Get one that has a strong blade guard that won't break the tenth time you put it down on a hard surface.
Get one that will run without popping the breaker on what ever generator you have because at some point you might need to use it where electricity isn't accessible.
Get one with a long enough cord that isn't stiff vinyl.....you want a rubber cord thats flexible and rolls up easily.
Get one with a large enough diameter.

upload_2018-10-5_9-37-17.jpeg
The guy that invented this saw is a twat, though. He tried to get the CPSC or some other .gov to mandate the use of the device so he could make a fortune. It's also a one shot deal, when it fires it basically costs 100 bucks or something to repair the saw.

-Mike
upload_2018-10-5_9-37-17.jpeg I’d pay a 1K for a reset..lol

I dithered between a Makita and a cheaper Ryobi. I hate to say it, but I kind of regret not getting the Ryobi. Both had about the same power. The Makita was built much better(heavier), but the Ryobi had a light that illuminated the work in front and a laser line to show where you were going to go. I rarely use a circular saw so I don't need ruggedness, but when I use one it seems I'm often in poor lighting for seeing my line or can't find a long straight edge to make a line.

The guy that invented this saw is a twat, though. He tried to get the CPSC or some other .gov to mandate the use of the device so he could make a fortune. It's also a one shot deal, when it fires it basically costs 100 bucks or something to repair the saw.

-Mike

$100 is cheap compared to the alternative. It costs $15,000 to re-attach the finger if you cut it off. I don't agree with mandating it though -- it should be up to you whether or not you want to lose a finger.

$100 is cheap compared to the alternative. It costs $15,000 to re-attach the finger if you cut it off. I don't agree with mandating it though -- it should be up to you whether or not you want to lose a finger.

It's not a foregone conclusion though that someone is going to cut off a finger without one of those brakes, though. At the same time i see the appeal/ usefulness of such a device....

-Mike

It's not a foregone conclusion though that someone is going to cut off a finger without one of those brakes, though. At the same time i see the appeal/ usefulness of such a device....

-Mike

Those blades can get you awful quick. The teeth have a pulling action, so if it's close enough to knick the hot dog, it would be close enough to grab your finger and chew most of the way through. 20180610_064844 (1).jpg

None of this stuff matters, that article is for metrosexual diy sissy boys. you want an older SKILSAW Mag77. And 357 Mag is the best round. Have a great weekend everyone!

Those blades can get you awful quick. The teeth have a pulling action, so if it's close enough to knick the hot dog, it would be close enough to grab your finger and chew most of the way through. View attachment 249286

Yes, that's why I keep my hands and fingers far away from the blade... maybe I'm just lucky... but then again, I don't own a table saw either. Most of the people I know who have cut fingers etc have all done it on a table saw.

That's different, then again my makita cordless isn't a worm drive and the blade's on the left on that, too.... but most of them that I see like that are worms...

-Mike

-Mike

I think Bosch or someone makes a variant that doesn't eat blades and can be reset in the field.
It uses some sort of a pyrotechnic charge (two tries in a cartridge) that yanks the blade below the table when fired. The blade still spins, but it is safely out of the way. You reset the saw, flip or replace the cartridge, and you are back in business.

I dithered between a Makita and a cheaper Ryobi. I hate to say it, but I kind of regret not getting the Ryobi. Both had about the same power. The Makita was built much better(heavier), but the Ryobi had a light that illuminated the work in front and a laser line to show where you were going to go. I rarely use a circular saw so I don't need ruggedness, but when I use one it seems I'm often in poor lighting for seeing my line or can't find a long straight edge to make a line.
Ryobi seems like its a company with brilliant engineers but its run by Nazi accountants. Legitimately cool features in a tool that's ok for homeowner use but not much more.

Yes, that's why I keep my hands and fingers far away from the blade... maybe I'm just lucky... but then again, I don't own a table saw either. Most of the people I know who have cut fingers etc have all done it on a table saw.
-Mike
When I was renovating my house back in the day, my sister had a friend who at the time was an ER nurse. She asked if I had a table saw and my sister replied "I dont know, whats it look like?" The nurse says "I have no idea, but every time someone comes in with their hand mangled or fingers missing, they ask how they did it and they almost always say it was with a table saw."

My uncle said it best. If you cut your fingers with a power tool your brain was disconnected from your eyes and hands. Only those that risk getting fingers close enough to cut get cut or those that remove safety guards.
Now for features. They only are good if they work.
Lasers are useless if you cant see them or not square with the blade. Theres another point. Can you actually adjust the shoe to correct out of square blade to shoe.
I have my dads old steel housing saw. Its a beast so worn i have no idea who made it. Figure its , craftsmen,B&D or Wen as thats the bulk of his power tools.
My current saw does everything i need it to do on the fly. Dewalt 7" ( i forget could be 6 1/2" ) cordless. I also have a Dewalt corded saw to replace dads 50# saw. Its powered well enough. Down side is it could use some squaring up. Its a few degrees off. I dont use it often or on cuts that its that big of a deal.

I have extensive experience using table saws and all sorts of other machine tools and have found that it is best to keep things that you don't want mangled away from the sharp, spinny bits.

My brother has the 5.5" saw you get for FREE with this deal. Plenty of power to cut 2x4, 6, 8, 10 at 90°. Lightweight. For $99.00 I'm jumping on this to supplement my corded Milwaukee.

Back
Top Bottom