• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I'm in love (with the new Springfield XDs)

Just went thru the new issue of guns and ammo that came in the mail today. The article on the XDs has me wanting one BAD! I was looking at the LC9 to replace my LCP and SR9c. I then decided I will get a Beretta Nano as I already have plenty of carry Rugers. (LCP, LCR, and SR9c) But after reading this article it looks like my XDM is gonna get a little brother. Anyone else see this review?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

http://www.gunsandammo.com/2012/03/29/carrying-it-off-the-springfield-xds-review/

specs-ll.jpg

specs-ul.jpg

specs-lr.jpg

Last edited:
Looks sweet but yet another cool pistol we can't have in MA. I have a Kahr PM45 it is almost perfect. The trigger reach is a little weird.

I am also in LOVE with this gun. I have deposit down on one at my local shop. I get the first one in. I noticed the other day they changed the website from "Coming soon" to "Shipping soon". At shot show they said it was shipping in March, so I'm hoping to see it sometime here in April.

What is your gun shop price on that? i have a Kahr PM9 with night sights, but I paid $800 for it. It is a comfortable carry gun and shoots very well. If the XDs comes in at half the price, and shoots as well, I'd be envious. How many rounds does it hold?

What is your gun shop price on that? i have a Kahr PM9 with night sights, but I paid $800 for it. It is a comfortable carry gun and shoots very well. If the XDs comes in at half the price, and shoots as well, I'd be envious. How many rounds does it hold?

5+1

The XD line of triggers is the best striker fire trigger I have fired. A 1911 trigger is still the best IMO but the XD is a close second. I sold my XD subcompact a few years back. I intend on buying a xdm at some point. Probably a .45 and a 9mm.

That said I do love my SR9c.

The XD line of triggers is the best striker fire trigger I have fired. A 1911 trigger is still the best IMO but the XD is a close second. I sold my XD subcompact a few years back. I intend on buying a xdm at some point. Probably a .45 and a 9mm.

That said I do love my SR9c.

I am fond of my SR9c also for carry. My XDM is a better "range toy" tho.

I love my XD. I shot distinguished graduate out of a IWB holster at Frontsite with one. I carry it about every day that I don't carry my 1911. I shoot as well with it as I do my 1911.

One thing the XD has done for me is make me rethink my position on Glocks. I tried a Glock 30 a few months ago and loved it. since they are essentially the same gun (the Glock 27 is too small for my hand) I have to re-think my stance on Glocks. I think a Glock will likely be my next gun.

Nice job by Springfield. My only complaint is the grip safety.

I love my XD. I shot distinguished graduate out of a IWB holster at Frontsite with one. I carry it about every day that I don't carry my 1911. I shoot as well with it as I do my 1911.

One thing the XD has done for me is make me rethink my position on Glocks. I tried a Glock 30 a few months ago and loved it. since they are essentially the same gun (the Glock 27 is too small for my hand) I have to re-think my stance on Glocks. I think a Glock will likely be my next gun.

Nice job by Springfield. My only complaint is the grip safety.

You don't like grip safeties but like 1911's?

Psst. Kahr CW45. $375 and available now. Pass it on.

I just got off the phone with a friend who had an opportunity to fondle an XD-s and he said it felt thinner than the Kahr!! He also said the reset was much shorter. So this will be interesting.

A micrometer on a kahr I have in stock shows the slide at about 1.0". This would make the XD-s noticeably slimmer. Interesting. I just put 2 on order.

Don

I just got off the phone with a friend who had an opportunity to fondle an XD-s and he said it felt thinner than the Kahr!! He also said the reset was much shorter. So this will be interesting.

A micrometer on a kahr I have in stock shows the slide at about 1.0". This would make the XD-s noticeably slimmer. Interesting. I just put 2 on order.

Don
Springfield says the slide is only .9 of an inch wide. If you measure it at the take down lever it's one inch wide. If you look is this months American Rifleman there is a two page ad with actual size pics of it. It's very small. This is why I ordered one. Guns & Ammo said it's possibly the best summer carry gun on the market. In this months issue they loved it.

You don't like grip safeties but like 1911's?

The grip safety on the XD is a lot different from the one on the 1911. My gripe about the XD one is that it makes locking the slide back a pain if you aren't conscientious about hand position. it's a more conscious more than you need to do with a 1911. -Small gripe, not a big deal.

The grip safety on the XD is a lot different from the one on the 1911. My gripe about the XD one is that it makes locking the slide back a pain if you aren't conscientious about hand position. it's a more conscious more than you need to do with a 1911. -Small gripe, not a big deal.

Ah, gotcha. I really never even notice the thing on my XDM.

It holds 5+1. I have been calling around trying to find one, but nobody has them yet. I figure the price will be $400 and change based on the price of the other XD pistols. So by June you should be able to buy one here on NES for $650. I want one badly.

Last edited:

Ah, gotcha. I really never even notice the thing on my XDM.

That's my only gripe about my XDm. You cannot open the slide if the grip safety isn't completely depressed.

Just went thru the new issue of guns and ammo that came in the mail today. The article on the XDs has me wanting one BAD! I was looking at the LC9 to replace my LCP and SR9c. I then decided I will get a Beretta Nano as I already have plenty of carry Rugers. (LCP, LCR, and SR9c) But after reading this article it looks like my XDM is gonna get a little brother. Anyone else see this review?

I remember when I red in Guns and Ammo that the Taurus Judge was a great gun...[hmmm]

I am not saying the new Springfield isn't a good gun.

the gun dimensions look a lot like the PPS.

Springfield says the slide is only .9 of an inch wide. If you measure it at the take down lever it's one inch wide. If you look is this months American Rifleman there is a two page ad with actual size pics of it. It's very small. This is why I ordered one. Guns & Ammo said it's possibly the best summer carry gun on the market. In this months issue they loved it.

I fixed it:
XD.jpg

Last edited:
A few thoughts on the XD-s based on my experience with the Kahrs.

Remember that the Kahr P9, P40, P45 have been joined by the CW9, 40, and 45.
The CWs are functionally identical but cost $250 less than the P series guns.

I just sold a CW45 for $389.

Someone mentioned thhat they didn't like the PM9/40.

I can agree. They are both really small. The PM9 actually does work great. In contrast the PM40 is terrible simply because I've never met anyone who could shoot one quickly and accurately. The recoil impulse is such that the gun inevitably shifts in your hand. It just doesn't work. This is not just my personal experience. I've NEVER seen anyone shoot one well.

Go to Youtube and look up "shooting my PM40 and watch the vids. Not a single person can shoot it without regripping between shots.

In contrast, the P40, P45, CW40 and CW45 are a bit larger and they all shoot great.

My main concern with the XDs is that in trying to make it (marginally) pocketable, they made the grip too short to support rapid accurate shooting.

Even still I'm excited at the prospect of a big bore slim single stack gun.

Don

p.s. Its funny to think that much of the development in slim handguns happened as a result of Bill Clinton's magazine ban. I don't know if all of you are old enough to remember it but in the early 90s there was an all out capacity war going on as each new gun tried to up the total round count over its competitor. When Bubba capped it at 10, all of a sudden you felt pretty dumb with a gun designed to hold 17 rounds and only 10 in the box.

If you could have 8 rounds in a nice slim grip that carried beautifully, then it wasn't worth the extra thickness to get 2 more rounds.

p.s. Its funny to think that much of the development in slim handguns happened as a result of Bill Clinton's magazine ban. I don't know if all of you are old enough to remember it but in the early 90s there was an all out capacity war going on as each new gun tried to up the total round count over its competitor. When Bubba capped it at 10, all of a sudden you felt pretty dumb with a gun designed to hold 17 rounds and only 10 in the box.

If you could have 8 rounds in a nice slim grip that carried beautifully, then it wasn't worth the extra thickness to get 2 more rounds.

Don't completely thank Clinton for that.... there was another factor as well.... Shall Issue CCW started to catch fire big time in a whole bunch of different states. Kahr probaby figured they could capitalize on that movement by producing handguns catered for that market, slim, concealable pistols that people would carry. They were right.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom