IL - Officer Guilty Of Threatening Cabbie At Gunpoint Over $8 Fare

A Chicago police officer was found guilty Thursday of stiffing a cabdriver of an $8 fare and then threatening him at gunpoint.

About half a dozen cabdrivers cheered when Judge Thomas Byrne convicted the officer, John Killackey, a 10-year veteran, of misdemeanor theft and assault following a short bench trial. He is scheduled to be sentenced June 24.

"This shows that the cops are not above the law," said Karl Clermont, the cabdriver whose complaint against Killackey led to the charges.

Prosecutors said Killackey hailed a cab about 1 a.m. on April 23, 2009, outside a bar on the Near North Side.

Clermont testified that Killackey fell asleep, so when he reached his destination, the driver tapped on the cab partition. Killackey woke up, exited the car and began to walk away, Clermont said.

Clermont said he told Killackey that he forgot to pay the $8 fare but Killackey didn't stop.

"No, I didn't forget," Clermont said Killackey told him. "I don't owe you (expletive)".....

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...bdriver-administrative-duty-short-bench-trial.

That's an outrage!
What, no assault with a deadly weapon charges?
That's a joke,
If it were one of us we'd be hit with multiple felonies.

[frown]
It's ok, he is the only one in that cab qualified to... BANG!

ah darn, NES went anti LEO again. [laugh] Prepare for a throng of hurt feelings reports...

(Disclaimer, neither I nor NES is anti-leo. Stupid comes in all walks of life. That said, it isn't unreasonable to do as Zappa says and charge this guy as a civilian would be charged and then some.)

Where is mayor Daley in this case?
The cop should be charged with armed robbery and sent to jail like anyone else would.

Back
Top Bottom