IGNORANT RHETORIC BY MAINE CITIZENS AGAINST HANDGUN VIOLENCE

Maine Voices: Maine should require background checks on all gun sales
The only effect of such a law would be to make sure customers are legally qualified to buy firearms.

By J. THOMAS FRANKLIN

PORTLAND — Since before "Bert and I," Mainers have been proud of their common sense and common decency.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR
J. Thomas Franklin (e-mail: [email protected]) of Portland is president of Maine Citizens Against Handgun Violence.

But when the subject is guns, this respect for community often gives way to more self-centered views.

Making safer our food, water, air or job sites is fine, but making gun ownership safer for us all is widely perceived as an assault on inalienable and absolute personal rights.

READ MORE

Misleading rhetoric by J. Thomas Franklin 12/08/10

Maine gun owners are responsible. Because of that, we enjoy a very low crime rate. It truly amazes me Maine Citizens Against Handgun Violence repeatedly attack the NRA and ignore the fact both the NRA, SAM, Maine Citizens Against Handgun Violence, Project Safe Neighborhoods and the Department of Justice partnered and endorsed the Maine Gun Sellers Kit.

Perhaps Maine Citizens Against Handgun Violence should ask to be removed as one of the sponsors if their main objective is to attack the NRA, the largest civil rights organization on the United States of America.

Maine and the federal government have very strict penalties on the books both criminal and civil for transferring firearms to prohibited persons by statute.

Transfer of an air pistol… to minors is also a crime in Maine. Misleading rhetoric by J. Thomas Franklin, president of a once respected organization infuriates law abiding citizens to no end.

Paul J. Mattson
NRA Certified Instructor / RSO
Maine CWP Training
101 Main St.
Harrison, ME 04040

(207) 583-4723
CELL 232-7063
www.MaineCWPtraining.com
facebook

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom