• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

If you were going to build/buy an AR15, what would you get and why?

Are there any issues with combining and upper and lower from two different companies? I've heard there may be fit issues if that's done.

Are there any issues with combining and upper and lower from two different companies? I've heard there may be fit issues if that's done.

There should be no issues if the parts were built to spec and I'd stay away from anyones product that has this issue. The only exception I can think of is Colt with the different size pivot pins. That can be taken care of with an adapter.

I have built rifles off of one Bushy, one Stag and two Olympic stripped receivers. I had no problems with either assembly or functioning with any of them.

I love my RRA AR, however, i do not think (and I could be completely wrong) that they were making ARs prior to the ban... there for a RRA AR lower would be out.

I would go a preban, bushy lower and replace the trigger with the RRA match trigger set up.

RRA 16 upper, flat top, Mark 4 tactical scope, 6 position stock, 3 point sling.... think of more as I go...

I have built rifles off of one Bushy, one Stag and two Olympic stripped receivers. I had no problems with either assembly or functioning with any of them.

What is the advantage? I am newbie and I am little confused. You can get a good build for a Bushmaster 20" AR-15 for $849? With a magazine, lower kit, and upper kit, FFL fee, you can easily be at $800.

I'm really curious are there some advantages ?

thanks
bill

I love my RRA AR, however, i do not think (and I could be completely wrong) that they were making ARs prior to the ban... there for a RRA AR lower would be out.

I would go a preban, bushy lower and replace the trigger with the RRA match trigger set up.

RRA 16 upper, flat top, Mark 4 tactical scope, 6 position stock, 3 point sling.... think of more as I go...

What do you mean by an RRA lower would be out? Wouldn't it only be out if you had to have an AR15 with a collapsible stock, bayonet mount, etc that could be done pre-ban?

What is the perceived benefit from a piston upper?

The piston system keeps the propellant gases out of the bolt and reciever. This was a big mistake on the AR; the gas was supposed to blow the action clean but didn't. The piston system has worked well on all of our semi autos with the exception of the AR. The other mod that makes sense is moving the recoil spring out of the stock and placing it over the barrel. This allows for a compact folding stock version. Z Man Weapons in Bernadston makes a beautiful example of this re-design.

Personally, I think the "problem" of the AR "$hitting where it eats" so to speak, has been vastly over-emphasized. I look at the piston uppers as a solution to a problem that really isn't that much of a problem. All semi-auto rifles need some sort of cleaning after a few thousands rounds or so.

I don't know if this is old news or not, but i emailed S&W about the possibility of purchasing a stripped M&P15 lower. Here is the response I got:

joe- we should start selling them in a few months
thank you.

I now know that most lowers are made by only four companies, but I think I might hold off until the new year and purchase one of these.
I just love S&W.

Good to hear. How was he to deal with? How do you like the rifle?

Pete is excellent. he answers email. his phone number is a cell and he turns if off sometimes so he is not answering it 24x7. He will get back to you if you leave a message. you can pick it up there in NH.

the rifle is sweet. It was really tight when I received it. very well put together. there are some pictures of it in the AR thread. As someone else stated it is really heavy. The 2-stage NM trigger is excellent. I have a Bushmaster XM15 as well that I picked up used. The quality is at or above the level of the BM.

What is the advantage? I am newbie and I am little confused. You can get a good build for a Bushmaster 20" AR-15 for $849? With a magazine, lower kit, and upper kit, FFL fee, you can easily be at $800.

I'm really curious are there some advantages ?

thanks
bill

Stripped receiver.....$100
FFL transfer...........$25
New mil-spec mag...$13
Complete kit..........$460

Complete AR under $600

While I am no expert, I believe a 14.5" barrel with a 2" compensator pinned to it is fine. Less than that, it would be considered an SBR.

Stripped lowers are all over.
Mag= Brownells list $18 or with C&R $12.50 http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/Store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=21225

Complete kit from model 1, J&T, M&A or others. I happen to like Model 1.
They all have many models and options to choose from.
http://www.model1sales.com/subcats.cfm?Category=01&sessionid=3940159943

Here's a link to the 20" standard configuration that the original poster was looking for.
http://www.model1sales.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=KSE200&storeid=1&image=s20prek.gif

I used to think the same way, until I was educated by a Man far more knowledgeable about the AR platform than You or I will ever be.

Service rifle or match rifle uppers........John Holliger at White Oak Precision.
I bought a match upper from him a few years ago and his work/product is great. Very personable to speak with over the phone, too.
I plopped that upper onto an A2 lower from B'Master with a Jewel.
I'll be happy when I can finally get back up to Reading and put a whole season in with it.

Stripped lowers are all over.
Mag= Brownells list $18 or with C&R $12.50 http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/Store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=21225

Complete kit from model 1, J&T, M&A or others. I happen to like Model 1.
They all have many models and options to choose from.
http://www.model1sales.com/subcats.cfm?Category=01&sessionid=3940159943

Here's a link to the 20" standard configuration that the original poster was looking for.
http://www.model1sales.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=KSE200&storeid=1&image=s20prek.gif

A question on the Brownell's mags. Are these effectively pre-ban?

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom