• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

If you were going to build/buy an AR15, what would you get and why?

I'm curious what others here think.

I'm thinking of going with mostly Rock River Arms parts and getting basically this but with an 18" barrel:

va407.gif

I can't answer your question, since I don't own an AR15. However, one of these days (especially if Hillary looks like she'll win) I hope to buy one. What would be the best caliber to get - a .223 Wylde chamber, or a 5.56mm NATO?

I built my Highpower rifle with an A2 National Match Rock River Arms AR-15. It is one accurate rifle and the 2 stage trigger is outstanding. I cannot say how your particular rifle would function, but from my experience RRAs are one great rifle

Oh, and no. They are not the meaning for my screen name. [wink]

I can't answer your question, since I don't own an AR15. However, one of these days (especially if Hillary looks like she'll win) I hope to buy one. What would be the best caliber to get - a .223 Wylde chamber, or a 5.56mm NATO?

The one I posted has a Wylde chamber which accomodates both .223 and 5.56. From a friend who's really knowledgable, getting a straight .223 chamber is the most accurate, a 5.56 is least accurate but most reliable (and could shoot .223) and the Wylde chamber is a good compromise between the two.

RRA makes good guns. If I was going to build another rifle, service or varmint I would get a RRA lower with a White Oak upper. Only because I know that John makes top notch uppers. You can't go wrong with what you have listed.

I have the 18" RRA upper pictured above, and it is a great upper half. It is on a Bushmaster lower and runs smoothly. This is my favorite ar-15 for bench shooting, but is a bit heavy for off-hand.

If I were starting from scratch and buying my first AR I would probably go with CMMG for the upper, buy a stripped lower, and do the trivial lower assembly myself. That way, it is simple to add a better trigger, your favorite stock, etc. CMMG is very helpful and will build you just about anything you want. Having said that, my RRA upper has been excellent and for a heavy varmint setup I would buy from them again. The only problem I had was that they were several months behind on production when I ordered earlier this year, so there may be a wait.

I think it really depend on what the rifle is going to be used for, A long range build will be alot different than a rifle used for plinking. As a HD rifle will be different than a 3gun rifle.

Varmint barrel are great if you are shooting off a rest. But they are to heavy for off hand shooting.

Me? I'd find some old shooter who got bit by the Bass Fishing bug and wanted to sell off all his pre-ban stuff and a crapload of ammo for about $600.

But that's me. (^_^)

Seriously, I'd start with a good namebrand lower in an A2 style and then whatever the most affordable upper with a NATO chamber you can get. That will start you off great and then you can get new uppers as you find new things to use the rifle for.

Me? I'd find some old shooter who got bit by the Bass Fishing bug and wanted to sell off all his pre-ban stuff and a crapload of ammo for about $600.

But that's me. (^_^)

Seriously, I'd start with a good namebrand lower in an A2 style and then whatever the most affordable upper with a NATO chamber you can get. That will start you off great and then you can get new uppers as you find new things to use the rifle for.

From what I can gather, the pre-ban lowers don't buy me anything I really care about. I actually like the A2 stock better and I don't think I'll ever need a bayonet.

RRA makes good guns. If I was going to build another rifle, service or varmint I would get a RRA lower with a White Oak upper. Only because I know that John makes top notch uppers. You can't go wrong with what you have listed.

+1

John at White Oaks Precision is the person who put together my NM RRA rifle. Back then he had an option for what he called a Rock River Arms Upper Upgrade. I provided the RRA NM lower and he did the rest. He does great work.

I also had a standard Bushmaster with a 20" bbl that I sold some time back. I still own a M4gery that has a pre ban Bushmaster lower on a J&T Distributing A3 upper. They are great rifles, but they pale in comparison to the RRA IMHO.

Go to ARF.com...do some research, ( there is a "little" there ) and then build your own. That way you get just what you want and you can say you did it yourself. AR's are like Harley's...there are a ton of after market accessories to personalize it to your liking...

But be careful...you'll get black rifle fever like I did.

My .02

B
Oh shit my avatars gone!!

Last edited:
I have an A2 20" upper, which a lot of people regard as an
antique, but I like the sights and it is very sturdy. I have a scope mounted on the carry handle, which probably isn't ideal for a serious target rifle but I am not a serious target shooter at all. In some ways I wish I had gotten a lighter weight barrel, I have the HBAR, and it is nice but I sometimes think it would be nicer to have a lighter barrel.

I am in the same boat. I am looking at stripped lowers and not sure what to get. I am not sure which is the best bet RRA, Stagg or Bushmaster? I have a Bushmaster M4gery but want to build an A2 with 20 in Hbarrel. Any suggestions?

I am looking at stripped lowers and not sure what to get. I am not sure which is the best bet RRA, Stagg or Bushmaster?

Turns out there really is only 4 types. All the above names just buy theirs from the same 4 manufacturers and put their names on it. Click here for details:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=318113

I'd get a gas piston upper (probably from POF-USA) for my current stripped receiver and then after that I'd get whatever I could get chambered for 300 Whisper.

As others have said, it all depends on your use. What do you want to do with this rifle?
Rock River makes a good rifle.
I have a RR M4 upper. I don't use it much, but it shoots well.

As for stripped lowers, the name on the side really doesn't make much difference. I buy whatever is available and cheap (I have heard one bad, first-hand experience with Olympic, so I wouldn't buy one of those). My Service Rifle has a Stag lower, mostly Bushmaster lower guts, a Geissele trigger, and a White Oak upper. White Oak will get all my business from now on when it comes to barrels or complete uppers.

Thanks guys, alot of good info for me to research. I am going to build an A2 lower and (eventually) have a varminter upper and possibly a stock 20". I am interested in the gas piston upper... just waiting for the prices to come down a bit.

Has anyone heard anything on Patriot Ordance AR's? They make a gas piston rifle, similar to the HK's. US Based. I recently held one and it felt rock sold. Super light. The upper had a urethane spray on it - making the grip feel awesome. Not sure why more companies don't do this.

Any how, some sweet looking weapons...

http://www.pof-usa.com/p415/p415.htm

Has anyone heard anything on Patriot Ordance AR's? They make a gas piston rifle, similar to the HK's. US Based. I recently held one and it felt rock sold. Super light. The upper had a urethane spray on it - making the grip feel awesome. Not sure why more companies don't do this.

Any how, some sweet looking weapons...

http://www.pof-usa.com/p415/p415.htm

I've heard they're very good. Somehow though, I don't like the fully railed front ends.

I have built two using DPMS lowers with excellent results. Both shoot 2.25 in five shot groups at 300 yds. The next one will use a DPMS forged (as opposed to cast) lower. I used an upper from American Spirit Arms on the 16 in barreled gun which does away with the charging handle in favor of a left hand operated bolt handle. With the exception of this upper I bought all of my parts from Brownells.

Back
Top Bottom