"If you see something, say something!"

Police said they did not have time to make their presence known or to tell Zerby to drop the weapon before opening fire because they believed he was a threat.

Zerby was shot in the torso with a shotgun and handgun, then handcuffed, Zapalski said. He died at the scene

Wow... I'll refrain from the rest of my thoughts on this.

Its ok Derek I'll say if for you

F @##$** no good #$^@&!@&# sons of !@&@^# and you can all go @!@*##* yourselves.

Hope this helps m8

I'm seeing a trend, shooting first. Shooting at backfires, at water nozzles, are the police afraid of something?

Just like the guy in the backfiring van, if a citizen made that mistake he'd be in a cell.I guess we have higher standards.

So, let me see if I get this straight. Two cops are "observing" the subject, on private property, holding an object in his hand and gesturing. Then, when they decide they must open fire, they fire 15 times (according to a witness)? Come on, guys. They're either the worst shots on the planet or just the worst cops. And what was with the "observing"? In that time they couldn't "observe" that it was a hose nozzle?

Don't get me wrong, drunk or not it was silly for the guy to point anything at a cop in a gun like manner and I would have understood if the object was suddenly produced. But, they were there on a call in. Isn't part of that determining if the caller was full of crap or not?

"The officers had a position of cover and were observing the suspect while other officers were en route," said Sgt. Dina Zapalski, a spokeswoman for the Long Beach Police Department.

Zapalski said Douglas Zerby had been sitting on a stoop playing with what appeared to be a weapon and pointing it at objects as if it were a gun. He extended his arms and pointed in the direction of an officer. Police said they did not have time to make their presence known or to tell Zerby to drop the weapon before opening fire because they believed he was a threat.

i was going to say: "stupid cops", but after reading this, i guess its one of those things that you had to be there to understand. What i am trying to say, is that maybe the angle the cops where at, sun and shadows, and maybe some inexperience all had a role. and stupid ass neighbors too.

i mean, the cops where watching him, the neighbors that called where watching him, and everyone thought it was a gun. wtf?

EDIT: i am not defending the cops.

Last edited:
I'm not saying what happened was right...

However, generally when someone points something resembling a gun at someone, they're going to assume it's a gun - and when they're already coming into a situation where they've been informed a gun is present and the person is reportedly acting erratically, you would assume that they would be on edge.

http://www.amazon.com/Claber-9567-Metal-Jet-Pistol-Garden/dp/B000BQSSA2/ref=sr_1_12?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1292360377&sr=1-12

Something like that could easily look like a gun from 50 feet away.

The fault lies equally if not moreso with the person who called the police, because the call prompted the officers to come in with guns drawn. The police f***ed up, but in reality it's not too far removed from the cases where someone points a BB gun or airsoft at a cop and gets shot.

Last edited:

However, generally when someone points something resembling a gun at someone, they're going to assume it's a gun.

http://www.amazon.com/Claber-9567-Metal-Jet-Pistol-Garden/dp/B000BQSSA2/ref=sr_1_12?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1292360377&sr=1-12

The fault lies equally if not moreso with the person who called the police, because the call prompted the officers to come in with guns drawn.

Any officer that mistakes that for a firearm should probably stick to writing parking tickets. I have to identify a weapon before I shoot, they should have to as well.

Just don't get seen taking a pee outside....

.....particularly holding it with both hands.

However, generally when someone points something resembling a gun at someone, they're going to assume it's a gun - and when they're already coming into a situation where they've been informed a gun is present and the person is reportedly acting erratically, you would assume that they would be on edge.

The fault lies equally if not moreso with the person who called the police, because the call prompted the officers to come in with guns drawn. The police f***ed up, but in reality it's not too far removed from the cases where someone points a BB gun or airsoft at a cop and gets shot.

With or without the hose attached?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom