If you really like that Garand 'ping' sound....

Was playing COD World at War 1 1/2 years ago and kept thinking I got a "head shot" when I heard that "ping". Then actually fired a Garand last summer. The owner was dumbfounded as I burst out laughing when the clip ejected, and finally realized what the sound was.

Yeah stupid story, but it's mine.

Fast forward 60 years and newbie AR owners ask if the "springy/sproingy" sound coming from the butt stock is normal.

Both are music to my ears. [smile]

When I scrolled down and saw this thread title, the very first thing that popped into my head was it was going to be about an iPhone app or ringtone or something involving the Garand Ping.

The Japanese loved it too.....for a while anyway, until GIs started tossing empty clips to make them ring, fooling the Japanese into thinking they were reloading and they popped up to advance on them. Ooops, guess I had two rounds left.[smile]

If the dictionary is supposed to reflect common word usage rather than prescribe it, do we have to revise our definition of the word "clip" to mean what "magazine" means now?

The Japanese loved it too.....for a while anyway, until GIs started tossing empty clips to make them ring, fooling the Japanese into thinking they were reloading and they popped up to advance on them. Ooops, guess I had two rounds left.[smile]

This might be the biggest wives tale concerning the M1. Who could hear a clip eject during a firefight without hearing protection? And when did every soldier run out of ammo at the same moment? Toss a couple clips into a field and tell me what you hear. the ping comes when it's ejected. If the hit grass, brush or the floor of the forest they don't make much noise.

Back
Top Bottom