If you could only keep ONE of the C&R/Mil-Surp firearms you own which one would it be

Ok, so yes its one of those chessy "WHAT IF" threads. Im curious as to what makes people interested in certain types of firearms and why, so Ill repeat a question that my wife asked me. "IF you could one keep one of the "OLD" (C&R/Mil-Surp) firearms you own, which one would it be and why?"

So, I dont know if anyone is interested in playing, but I think it might be interesting to hear and or maybe see ( pics are always fun ) Ill start tomorrow, when I can get to what I have in mind and take a few pics.

Anyone else???

This isn't fair in two ways.

1. I didn't see which one you would keep.

2. Why, oh why are you making me choose?? My heart is ripped wide open!

My nicest one is my unissued New England Westinghouse Mosin Nagant, still in cosmoline. It would be hard to part with it. Not the most expensive or the rarest, just the nicest. It would at least be ONE of the last to go.

NEW_US_051.JPG

NEW_US_047.JPG

NEW_US_053.JPG

NEW_US_033.JPG

NEW_US_022.JPG

NEW_US_001.JPG

I'm sticking with my M1 Garand. Its just a great gun and I love to shoot it.
Now if we are talking value? Guess I would keep the most worthy...all my C&Rs are from high end value.

My Mosin M44....fun as hell to shoot and always gets attention at the range.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

i would stick with my SVT40 sniper
reasoning as follows.
-semi-auto [mg]
-detachable 10rd mag and aftermarket also available
-shoots cheap but venerable and universally powerful 7.62x54r (can you shoot M1 Garand for $0.18 per round?)
-simple for semi-auto rifle reliable and easily maintained
-simple/rugged tilted bolt design
-sniper/scope ready but easily detachable (if not needed) without special tools
-lighter than a Garand [wink]
-could be fed with standard Mosin stripper clips without disconnecting magazine
-compensated for a faster follow up shot
-adjustable gas-trap for additional reliability in various weathers
-and last but not least the rifle's slender somewhat industrial-futuristic dsign (for it's time) is super sexy and very appealing to me [smile]

although I feel this choice wouldn't be fare to any of my Mosins

DSCN2410.JPG DSCN2399.JPG DSCN2404.JPG DSCN2407.JPG

Last edited:
I have a WW1 Colt 45 ACP mfg date of 1917. Shoot that sucker all the time. Its @ 98%, this pistol stays.

My Nagant pistol...why you ask..Well for starters no one would ever try to steal it or fight me for it. No one would ever try to steel my ammo supply and lastly it has enough small parts that I could dissamble it and use them for all sorts of survival solutions. Hell it isn't like it would be any help as a firearm, a slingshot is more powerful!!!

Seriously come on!! the only choice would be my M1 Garand!!!!!!!!!!! can't imagine anyone that owns one would ever think any differant...

Well, it depends on the situation...

WWIII defensive position: M1 Garand

015-1.jpg

Hunting: M03A3 Springfield

003-1.jpg

Self defense: Walther PP

004.jpg

Overall, if pushed, M1 Garand

MS

I changed the pistol. Although I've shot it only once, the Walther PP was well balanced.

Another very close overall choice would be my M1 Carbine; light, handy, and 45 rounds on hand when you pick it up. However mine isn't entirely reliable yet; although when it it is, I will have to reconsider it over the Garand.

004-1.jpg

001-2.jpg

Last edited:

Self defense: M03 Colt

MS

Glad to see that I'm not the only one who feels pushed. Heck, I hardly slept at all last night after contemplating the possibilities.

Glad to see that I'm not the only one who feels pushed. Heck, I hardly slept at all last night after contemplating the possibilities.

That cracked me up Martin. I hope you get some sleep tonight :) I love that Westinghouse. I did not know you had that. That looks like it is in excellent plus condition. Where do you find this stuff?

Back to the question at hand...... I want to give one answer for a rifle and one for a handgun.

Rifle: My Winchester M1 Carbine. I just love shooting that gun and think it represents the height of American problem solving solutions. It is the best little light hand carbine devised in the 20th century.

View attachment 33015

Handgun: My 1907 Savage pistol. An extremely unique and pleasant design that is the easiest handgun I have ever shot for point shooting. The art deco design helps as well. While Europeans while makings Ortgies, Stocks, 38H's and the like... the US came up with the Savage.

View attachment 33014

A close 3rd would be my Nambu 14 rig. Not so much about the gun, but the fact that the holster still has grenade shrapnel in it and the story of how I acquired the pistol.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/121672-What-Would-Your-Milsurp-Say

I love all of my Garands, but if I could only pick one rifle I would go another way. I have an all correct IBM M1 Carbine from 1944 with all of the early features. It was the first rifle I really hunted for. I got rid of the other IBM's once I got my hands on this one.

My father in law also gave me my first M1 Carbine, a well used Quality Hardware Machine Co. manufactured rifle from 1943. I will never part with it, even though he only paid $39 for it (through the NRA in the 1960's).

Ok, so heres mine. Pics 1st, explanation second....

DSCN0223.jpg

DSCN0229.jpg

DSCN0224.jpg

DSCN0231.jpg

This picture was what had me interested in firearms/military since the age of about 6, right around the time when the man in the picture passed away. I have very little knowledge of my grandfathers service during WW2. He never talked about his service very much, and those that he did talk to dont have very many details. In addition to that the US Gov lost my grandfathers ( and many others ) service records in a fire, so all I have is a few pictures and few memories from those left behind. I know from pictures he served with 3rd army, and was for a time part of a tank destroyer unit. My mother remembers vague mentioning about the "Ardennes" in 44 and that after the war was over he stayed in Nuremberg and work as a driver for the trials. I have a few Nazi coins, that as the stories goes came from a prisoner from those trials.

Im not sure when or where this picture was taken, some of the pictures I have are in Germany, some in the US from what I presume is training or boot camp. What I am sure of is that he is holding a M1917 rifle. When I fisrt purchase the rifle shown in the pics I had no idea it was a "lend-lease" rifle and and British proofs, I was only buying it to honor a man that was part of the greatest generation, and that unfortunately I barely knew

The rifle itself is 100% Remington, right down to the front sight. The only two issues with is are the non serial matching bolt, and the amazingly small import mark at the muzzle ( which I didnt notice for 2 years of owning it )

This picture and that rifle are why I collect. My kids and their kids deserve to touch, see and feel the history that lives in these pictures, in these bits of metal and wood.

We can offer those that served in whatever war the ultimate gift, "Immortality" by passing on this knowledge, the memories, and the artifacts of the past.

This whole thread was just a plot to get guys like you a fred to show off some of your cool stuff [smile] Martin08, that NEW is amazing! the westinghouse is one that Im sure will be missing from my small collection for a while!

015-1.jpg

003-1.jpg

Self defense: Walther PP

004.jpg

MS

I changed the pistol. Although I've shot it only once, the Walther PP was well balanced.

Another very close overall choice would be my M1 Carbine; light, handy, and 45 rounds on hand when you pick it up. However mine isn't entirely reliable yet; although when it it is, I will have to reconsider it over the Garand.

004-1.jpg

001-2.jpg

Nope, your entire collection is going to disappear except for 1 rifle or pistol..... Which one?[smile]

Nope, your entire collection is going to disappear except for 1 rifle or pistol..... Which one?[smile]

OK, so we're subject to random management decisions here. Get to keep one, no circumstantial considerations, then...

Gotta look in the cabinet...be back in a bit...

MS

So if I can only have one, I have to pick my M03 Springfield. A member of the 10 M03 Springfield Oddities list with an unfinished 1919 RIA receiver, completed and barreled by Springfield in 8/1931; one of the last of its type. The rifle is in WWII re-arsenal trim, has a perfect bore, and I have the original sling for it as well; this is a repro 1942 marked shooter M07 sling. Of all my rifles, this one comes to my shoulder the most easily and the sights set up naturally and quickly. A M03 Springfield is one of the earliest rifles I wanted to get; when I got it four years ago I bought it for the bore condition, not knowing its rarity at the time.

011.jpg

010.jpg

007.jpg

006.jpg

Last edited:
OK, so we're subject to random management decisions here. Get to keep one, no circumstantial considerations, then...

Gotta look in the cabinet...be back in a bit...

MS

You can play the game or answer the question however you want, no biggie. My original intent was to see what was truly most important/sentimental/interesting/whatever in your collection. This was not intended to be a SHTF/self defense/end of the world gun thread. I also didnt specify that it would be the only firearm you could possibly be left with, just that you could only be left with ONE mil-surp/C&R gun and all the others would disappear

my old faithful SA garand that dad built when i was a kid a and still have , i can load it fast, and im deadly with it been shooting it since i was 16 yrs old, i recently restored her to her old glory by hand talk about a job.ok one ? how do we put pics from our pc onto forum, i dont know much about computers. and how do i get the url of a pic can we just attach them?And how cant get em off our pc's????????.are we on a probation period says im not allowed attachments???? help im lost lol.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom