If I take customers shooting can I write it off as an expense?

fencer

NES Member
I am sorry if this has been asked before but a search yielded no result, or if this is in the wrong forum, but I have a question that perhaps someone here can answer.
If I take a customer to lunch I write it off as a business expense. Or if you give them tickets to a ball game or give them promotional items like T Shirts, sweatshirts etc. Well... I take a ton of customers to the range. AFS has a nice lounge and after shooting we will talk business etc.
Am I crazy for wondering this? This week I took two customers to the range and we ate more than 800 rounds of FMJ in .40. 38 special, and .357. What do you think? Would it be a huge stretch to write it off? Would you dare?Does anyone know if it's legal? I mean what's the difference if your on the rifle range and between cycles of the bolt, you say " So Bob, what did you think of our price on blah blah..." Or if you asked him between bites of a steak and fries?
Any financial, accounting geniuses care to tell me if you could? That would be about a 25% discount on ammo.

Please keep the laughter to a minimum. Just asking.

I have a number of times. If I can write off a business lunch then why not a range session. Either way its just to build relationships with your current/potential customers and in the end is meant to bolster your company.

All that matters is that you keep your deductions for things like that under a certain percentage so it won't attract an audit. Keep your receipts along with dates and names in case you do.

that was a serious answer. "entertaining a client" is a legitimate write off.[/QUOTE

Thanks. I thought so but I didn't know if there may be some obscure IRS regulation that says " entertaining a client except when done in conjunction with exercising second amendment rights"[grin]

All that matters is that you keep your deductions for things like that under a certain percentage so it won't attract an audit. Keep your receipts along with dates and names in case you do.

Makes sense to me. Some customers want to meet for lunch, some on the golf course. I hate golf mostly because I suck at it. Waste of a perfectly good rifle range.

My annual budget allows for less than .5% for gross sales to be allocated for entertainment and promotions

If you are an employee working a sales position, and your company does not reimburse you, you can right it off as a non-reimbursed employment expense. (Consult HR or Finance to make sure you aren't getting yourself in any crud as far as they're concerned by "entertaining" clients on your dime)

If you are a business owner, it counts against your bottom line like any other expense.

I'd hold on to a few receipts as with anything in that nature.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer and/or tax preparer

Good advice. I'll start saving some receipts and give my accountant a call.
Everyone likes to go to the range. If I can save a buck in bringing a client it's a great way to get a few more people into shooting. And it's another excuse to practice.

+8 Bugs. THIS

Just save receipts, jot a note on them who the client was. Let your accountant worry about an audit. Like the lunches, you can't write yours off, but those you're entertaining are fair game.

Good advice. I'll start saving some receipts and give my accountant a call.
Everyone likes to go to the range. If I can save a buck in bringing a client it's a great way to get a few more people into shooting. And it's another excuse to practice.

Now why wouldn't you have just done that in the first place. [wink][grin]

Kidding.

Kudo's to you for taking people out shooting.

If a sales guy takes you out golfing, don't you think he is going to write off the $400? Don't you think he writes off his $30,000country club membership dues every year? Of course he does.

What you need are clear records with date, time, who you took out, expenses, etc. They, obviously, have to be legitimate business clients, and documentable expenses.

Now why wouldn't you have just done that in the first place. [wink][grin]

Kidding.

Kudo's to you for taking people out shooting.

Ya know, I thought about that just after I asked the question[thinking]. I just hate calling him or my attorney. I know that after I call him I'll get a fax with the related laws and language and at the end of the month a bill for $200.

If a sales guy takes you out golfing, don't you think he is going to write off the $400? Don't you think he writes off his $30,000country club membership dues every year? Of course he does.

What you need are clear records with date, time, who you took out, expenses, etc. They, obviously, have to be legitimate business clients, and documentable expenses.

Exactly right.

The issue is the entertainment expense related to your customers. The venue (as long as it's legal activity) is irrelevant.

Tax returns are full of deductions for visits to strip clubs, for example (perfectly legal).

Shootiing is a legal activity, just as golf is. Deduct, deduct, deduct!

Exactly right.

The issue is the entertainment expense related to your customers. The venue (as long as it's legal activity) is irrelevant.

Tax returns are full of deductions for visits to strip clubs, for example (perfectly legal).

Shootiing is a legal activity, just as golf is. Deduct, deduct, deduct![/QUOTE]

I love it! And now it's a write off. I have atleast 200 regular customers. I'll bet I can get atleast twenty to the range for their first time. Eggsellent Smithers[grin]

I don't know about the write off, but I'm looking for someone who does whatever it is you do. We should go to the range sometime and talk about it.

I will need to but more ammo. Between two customers, one potential employee and a neighbor I have eaten more than 1200 rounds this week. I gotta learn how to reload!

Ya know, I thought about that just after I asked the question[thinking]. I just hate calling him or my attorney. I know that after I call him I'll get a fax with the related laws and language and at the end of the month a bill for $200.

Good point, but can't you write that off as an expense? [smile][wink]

Good point, but can't you write that off as an expense? [smile][wink]

Yeah, I can, but when you write it off that just means you don't have to pay taxes on those dollars. For the most part that means about a 25% discount. When it comes to ammo that's like buy three get the forth one for FREE!

Back
Top Bottom