• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

If I get a .556 lower does this mean I’m stuck with that caliber?

Nope. Not stuck. But not just ANY upper. Way too in depth question for one post. But no, you are not stuck with 5.56.
Thanks I just finished two multi cal lowers into two SBR’S and I just found another lower but it says 556 on it and I have not looked into reasons why I could not buy the lower and do say a 22 upper for it sounds weird maybe but I’m trying to build on for my wife and I wanna start her with a 22 but then get her into doing a 224 wylde later on and I don’t want a bolt conversion for the 22

what ammo brands you found to cycle the CMMG well?
Anything copper head cycles best. I found if the polymer/lead bullet is old, the residue will cause the round to half feed. Generally speaking, it'll take just about any brand.

Last edited:
Just built a 8.5” criterion 300 love it not the price per round tho
i kinda play with the idea to make an upper for a soviet 7.62×39 round, but, not sure if it is really worth the time.
a 300blk i would want to do as well, i want it - but prices and availability of 300blk now are both insane. so, it will wait.

If you run the 22 conversion it’s direct blow back. Meaning every so often you should take the conversion out and shoot .223/5.56 through it. Keep your gas tube and gas block from getting filled with lead and copper shavings.

i kinda play with the idea to make an upper for a soviet 7.62×39 round, but, not sure if it is really worth the time.
a 300blk i would want to do as well, i want it - but prices and availability of 300blk now are both insane. so, it will wait.
Yes I hear you on that I did not wait because I wanted to get my SBR done ASAP along with my 12.5” wylde

Anything copper head cycles best. I found if the polymer bullet is old, the residue will cause the round to half feed. Generally speaking, it'll take just about any brand.
i was looking back and forth at it and got a CZ varmint which is nothing short of amazing accuracy wise, but, still tempted to go the CMMG way also. thx for the confirmation.
a conversion kit in the G17 is pretty sensitive - only works well with blazers and cci mags, pretty much. anything else including aguila se is not cutting it.

It’s really not that big of a deal. I burn thousands upon thousands of rounds of 22 through my .22 conversion...There’s no real issues until you’re putting it in and putting it out of time...It’s quite accurate as well

It’s really not that big of a deal. I burn thousands upon thousands of rounds of 22 through my .22 conversion...There’s no real issues until you’re putting it in and putting it out of time...It’s quite accurate as well
i did shoot norma rounds from CZ at 100yds when i zeroed it - spent about 30 rounds, it formed a very tight 1.2" hole. no fliers, no misses, most rounds went into a 0.4" center. that was with an 11moa drop.
amazing rifle. at 25yds it places your shots into same hole. kids love it, it is a great feel to see how shot actually goes where you aim it at.

When they come back in stock, these are great. We have two and they get used a lot.

they say - "Works best with round-style AR-15 hammers; notched hammers can cause function problems."
is the problem real? as i got a 3lb pull larue trigger i love, not going to alter that, but, it is notched.

Don't forget the .277 Wolverine...

Back
Top Bottom