If I get a .556 lower does this mean I’m stuck with that caliber?

they say - "Works best with round-style AR-15 hammers; notched hammers can cause function problems."
is the problem real? as i got a 3lb pull larue trigger i love, not going to alter that, but, it is notched.

It basically could be made to work with anything. It takes a little hands-on experience for you yet how to make it work properly. Log on the CMG website and look at the accessories. I initially ran mine F/A but typically I run it Semi now....The biggest issue with function I ever ran into is if you dont occasionally oil it or clean the spring under the firing pin in it either won’t work or fires runaway F/A...

i kinda play with the idea to make an upper for a soviet 7.62×39 round, but, not sure if it is really worth the time.
a 300blk i would want to do as well, i want it - but prices and availability of 300blk now are both insane. so, it will wait.
300 blackout only thing different is barrel, same BCG, magazines, etc.

x39, barrel, BCG, magazines all different. My buddy has one and it’s fun to play with. We’ve had no issues playing with it but allegedly there can be reliability issues with those proprietary magazines since they’re curved, but have to be straight to fit in the AR lower mag well. Think of an AK magazine next to an AR magazine....then cut the top off the AR mag and weld it onto the bottom half of the AK magazine.

i kinda play with the idea to make an upper for a soviet 7.62×39 round, but, not sure if it is really worth the time.
a 300blk i would want to do as well, i want it - but prices and availability of 300blk now are both insane. so, it will wait.
300BLK is pretty much plug n play. Use the right upper and it even works with 5.56 mags.
X39 will need a little tuning.
Suggest the heavy hammer spring and extended firing pin. Steel case ammo needs a good whack on the primer.
Also special mags for the more tapered roosky round otherwise you’ll have feeding issues.
I have 3 AR’s chambered in x39.
2 carbines and a pistol.
Build 1 works great.
Build 2 has some chamber issues I’m sorting thru.
Build 3 (the pistol) has not been fired. Yet.

But typo aside, yes you're good assuming its not an NFA item
Even with NFA, you can swap to your hearts content. They just ask that you maintain the ability to convert it back to the configuration on the form. You can also add a configuration addendum with a list of all the caliber/barrel length/overall length configurations it might be in.

Last edited:
I’ve got this 22lr upper on my SBR and it is AWESOME. Super well made and very accurate.
That is pretty sweet.

For anybody wanting a dedicated 22lr upper, but want to build it themselves, RightToBear.com .22LR Rifle Parts, Upgrades & Accessories has a lot of 22lr AR components, both CMMG and their own branded parts.

.556 will either be tiny, or illegal

But typo aside, yes you're good assuming its not an NFA item
Even if it is a nfa item you can adjust the caliber, you can have a multicaliber by specifying it in box 4h.

If you've already paid your tax stamp you can send a letter to the ATF describing which uppers you are planning to use with the your SBR. When you send a letter to the ATF, send it in duplicate and request a letter back from the ATF confirming that received/approved the letter. What you need to include in the letter is the make, model and serial number of your lower, who it is registered to, the caliber and OAL (overall length) of the new uppers that you want to add to the SBR.

Back
Top Bottom