IDPA Match Tomorrow -- Jan 13th at Worcester Pistol

Cross-X

Shooting at the big range in heaven
Dealer
NES Member
Guys and Gals,

The Worcester Pistol & Rifle Club and the boys of Metrowest Tactical will be hosting the Second Annual Frozen Penguin IDPA Match at the Worcester Pistol & Rifle Club tomorrow.

Registration for the match is at 8:30 a.m., and the shooting starts at 9:00 a.m. For driving directions to the club, visit www.wprclub.com. The cost of the match is about $20, and be sure to bring at least 100 rounds of ammo, along with the rest of your competition gear.

Darius

I'm gonna be there. My IDPA legal holster and belt should arrive in the mail today along with the grip screw bushing for my gun. Looking forward to it, and the procedurals I am gonna get for being an IPSC guy.

That was a lot of fun today! Thanks to Cross-X, Gene, Joe and the others for putting on the shoot.

Respectfully,

jkelly

Very nice job guys, I was gratefull I was able to get some help with the kids so I could go.. I needed to get the kinks out- and there were KINKS! In reality the weather wasn't too bad either.

Nice stages, it was good to see such a good turn out and see some familiar faces- as well as some new ones too. More of the NES folks really need to attend these... it's a great time. I think there was at least one IPSC guy too-[laugh2] and he didn't bust on us IDPA folks either... although he was outnumbered. [laugh]

Again- thanks to the team for organizing this.

On behalf of the boys of Metrowest Tactical, Gene Gelberger, Jon Green, Michael Joffe and me, I'm pleased you guys enjoyed the first-ever IDPA match at the Worcester Pistol & Rifle Club.

For all those who braved the raindrops, I think the match proved interesting and challenging, and an auspicious start for the new year.

Many thanks for Jay Farmer and Turin Pollard for co-hosting the match and being our liason with the club.

Metrowest Tactical will be hosting a full season of matches at the Harvard Sportsmens' Club. Come join our Yahoo Group, MetrowestTactical, and get all the latest news about our practices and matches. www.yahoogroups.com.

Darius Arbabi

Last edited:
I had a great time, some fun and difficult courses of fire. Very different and interesting compared to the IPSC I have done that has very few rules specific to a stage. Gene asked for comments, well one comment I have that I have though of is that I like more freedom and problem solving in stages. Generally reloads, movements, and order the targets are engaged in were specified in the stage description. I went into each stage knowing the exact order to do every motion in, it was simply a matter of going through the motions.

Ariel- This is true. I'm somewhat of a noob to IDPA however one thing I do know is IDPA is more of a competition based on defensive tactics. In most cases I'd say there are tactical reasons for shooting the COF the way the stages suggest. At least most of the time.

I'll let some of the experts respond for more detail.

I had a great time, some fun and difficult courses of fire. Very different and interesting compared to the IPSC I have done that has very few rules specific to a stage. Gene asked for comments, well one comment I have that I have though of is that I like more freedom and problem solving in stages. Generally reloads, movements, and order the targets are engaged in were specified in the stage description. I went into each stage knowing the exact order to do every motion in, it was simply a matter of going through the motions.

Ariel- This is true. I'm somewhat of a noob to IDPA however one thing I do know is IDPA is more of a competition based on defensive tactics. In most cases I'd say there are tactical reasons for shooting the COF the way the stages suggest. At least most of the time.
There are also tactical reasons to not do it the way the stage instructions specified. Score and time are a good indicator of which was tactically superior. That is where problem solving comes in. I'm not a high speed operator but I don't think many schools encourage shooting to slidelock and magazine retention, especially with today's wunderguns with 17 round magazines. 3 or 4 rounds just aren't worth it when you have another 18 rounds on tap in addition to your second spare. Speed is life.

Given IDPA's rules, the only thing to do is dump the empty mag with one in the chamber lest you have to do the slowest reload of them all.

For me reloading is half the problem solving in a stage. The other half is order to engage targets and where to engage them from. Multiple points of cover would be great with some targets being obscured from each point so you have to visit some or all of them. IDPA rules and course description generally mandate the order, but leave some of it to the shooter, it's valuable training. In real life there is no course description so to speak.

Last edited:
Yeah, interesting/good points. Of course we need to realize that there are some imposed limits to level the playing field for the competition (max mag of 10 rounds), etc. I agree with many of your points. Personally to me, the retention "contraints" help me with handling skills that I can't try at my range- whether good or bad.

Here's something to chew on wrt to IPSC or IDPA... at the end of the day many (arguably most) COFs aren't representative of real life defensive situations anway. IANAL but if you go after the attackers like we do in these stages or you'd end up in jail (ie when pursuing attack vs retreating or holding position). At the end of the day it is just a fun competition to help me with gun handling skills.

Sometimes I like to have a COF which is pretty straight forward (predetermined sequence of events.. ordering if you wish) and some where you have lots of creative freedom. All good to me... each helps with certain skills for sure.

Either way- I'll take whatever the organizers are willing to put together during their free time... for that I am always thankful and appreciative.

Back
Top Bottom