IDPA: How does a club do this?

Just curious how a club starts doing IDPA shooting? Do they do other competitions first, and see if there is interest? Do they invite someone to come in and run a competition and then see if anything sticks?

Just curious, as I've read that this IDPA thing might be fun. Right now, the club is not so big on pistol competitions, doing bowling pin shoots now and then.

Thanks.

Where do you live? I'd definitely suggest trying a match or three before you think about organizing your own. If you're in MA, Worcester and Harvard put on excellent matches.

Do your club's current range rules allow IDPA type shooting? ie: drawing from a holster, shooting silhouette targets, shooting on the move, shooting fast, shooting targets not directly against the backstop, shooting from the 'field' of the range, etc. If so, I'd start with an informal practice to build a core group of shooters. Once you have this core group, start running informal matches. Then, once you've worked out the bugs and built a core group to help you, join IDPA and run a club match announced to the public. Then go from there.

When I started, I got a bunch of friends at the club together and we started shooting at targets using cover, while moving, etc.

I went and shot USPSA, took Rob Boudrie's class down at Hopkington, and looked at every style of "Action Pistol" that existed.

One summer, I decided to get a little more serious. So we began shooting to the rules of several different formats. (I even included one that was small out in Arizona that I can't remember the name of but basically didn't grow)

The biggest thing that tipped the group to IDPA was the strict gun modification rules and the simple scoring.

The key was to start small. The mailing list that started is called "RiversideActionShoots" because we had not picked a format. We shot informally. We did a lot of drills. many of the original shooters comment on how much they 'miss' the old days when we had a lot of fun learning. So don't feel you have to be an IDPA club right away. Be sure yo are ready. And from experience, be sure that you have a TEAM of people to run things. One person can do it, but if something happens and that one person isn't around stuff can easily fall apart.

A few years later, We got an instructor in to get people certified as IDPA Safety Officers and had the club signed up as an IDPA club. From then it was just a matter of scheduling matches and practices.

People came from all over. We would see shooters from other New England states and Many of those went back and started their own programs at their own club.

I'm quite pleased with the way IDPA has grown along the 495 corridor. It is really something to see just how many people are shooting and getting involved. Some of the people I got started as walk-ins now run their own programs and are doing an amazing job of it.

Best of all, I got to meet a lot of great people. Many of these people I call friends. Many of these people are the type that would come if you called for help. In the end, that really was the most satisfying part of the whole thing - the great people that were drawn to the sport.

I would get some of the people interested in running something at your club and travel around to different clubs experiencing how matches are run and learning the rules. I believe any sort of affiliation needs to have certified Safety Officers or Range officers.

Why limit it to IDPA? Try out and visit USPSA and the various sort steel matches.

The BrianEnos forum has a subforum on match management. I'm sure there is info in there.
Match management

Do your club's current range rules allow IDPA type shooting? ie: drawing from a holster, shooting silhouette targets, shooting on the move, shooting fast, shooting targets not directly against the backstop, shooting from the 'field' of the range, etc.

We had that. I became certified as an NRA RSO and used that training to develop a clear and concise set of rules and range procedures to mitigate the issues and show how the 'action shoots' could be done safely. We had to modify those rules, and we had a huge battle with range closings and steel targets, but things CAN be worked out.

IDPA is not fun. It's the most fun you can have with your pants on and without a hot mop or a wet phone book.

Is that an endorsement? [laugh2]

Where do you live? I'd definitely suggest trying a match or three before you think about organizing your own. If you're in MA, Worcester and Harvard put on excellent matches.

Just South of Worcester.

Do your club's current range rules allow IDPA type shooting? ie: drawing from a holster, shooting silhouette targets, shooting on the move, shooting fast, shooting targets not directly against the backstop, shooting from the 'field' of the range, etc.

Beats me, I'm kinda newish there.

...If so, I'd start with an informal practice to build a core group of shooters. Once you have this core group, start running informal matches. Then, once you've worked out the bugs and built a core group to help you, join IDPA and run a club match announced to the public. Then go from there.

Good idea. I didn't know it was as organized as this (have to join). I thought it was just a style of shooting (like trap, skeet, etc. sort of...). I guess I need to study up more.

I think what I need to do is to just get to the range more, and see if we can get a group of people interested in ANY sort of organized competition and fun shooting. They do bowling pin shoots currently, and lots of trap, but that is about it. I'd say the drinking and meat raffles parts of this club are more organized right now.

Last edited:

I am at Braintree. Sign says "no fun allowed." My luck the club I joined is the club that has, nor will ever have, any IDPA. [frown]

I truly think starting more clubs that are affiliated waters down the field. My suggestion is find a club that has already organized and join it. All clubs need more help. People get burned out. The cost to start up an action pistol program is quite high with props, targets, steel, and more.

Think seriously about joining someone rather than competing against them.

Think seriously about joining someone rather than competing against them.

+1. Now that I know where you are, I highly recommend coming out to one of the IDPA matches at WPRC. Turin and Jay and their cohorts put on some great matches. If you're new, they'll pair you up with someone experienced to help you learn the ropes. Between Worcester, Harvard, and Riverside, most of the weekends have matches already.

Like I said, I didn't know it was an entire league between different clubs. I thought it was more a style or set of standards for competition for use at the club level only. Our club doesn't allow anything other than paper targets right now. They are mostly a drinking club from what I can tell. I would love to help them along on the path back to a true Sportsman's Club. I guess much smaller baby steps here.

Back
Top Bottom