IDPA Handgunner I Class at Riverside (8/27)

This was my first time attending anything related to the IDPA and I had looked forward to it since signing up quite a while ago. I was not dissapointed.

Chris ran a great show all around. Any time you face a four hour or so stint in a classroom there is the potential for massive brain fade. Sure, people were no doubt itchy to get to the range, but he gave a great presentation, dispensing the info in a no-nonsense but easygoing style. He kept the mood light and kept the subject matter rolling. It was a very helpful learning experience. He answered plenty of questions during the several breaks. The coursebook he has put together is well thought out and will be somthing I turn back to before my first real IDPA matches. Although I'd read the IDPA rulebook several times this summer Chris made a lot of things clear about things that I was not 100% sure of. Before you knew it it was time to hit the range.

The instructors he had on board were great. Not one bit of condescension, superior attitude, or impatience. These guys all had stellar credentials as shooters and leaders in the local shooting community but were, to a man, mellow and extremely down to Earth in how they approached things. Great ambassadors for the handgunning community and the IDPA. The coaching and tips I received during the drills we did at the start of the range time were eye opening and will lead to changes in how I practice at home and on the range. It made me more eager to get out there for some real formal training.

While I didn't get to talk to too many other students (there really wasn't much time apart from lunch), the group seemed very into it, with no loudmouths, "know-it-alls" and no BS attitudes at all.

The best part of the day, of course, was going through simulated courses of fire. Although people were getting a bit tired after a long afternoon in the sun, I don't think one guy would have left for hours more if we hadn't run out of time. Note to self: Next time don't wear a black t-shirt under a dark navy blue cover shirt on a hot day.

Thats the short version. Consider me hooked and on board for the match on the 24th.

Steve

I'm glad you enjoyed it ozman. Chris does an awesome job, and I look forward to getting out there again with that awesome group of guys.

Lynne said:
I'd just like to be able to make it once! :D

I was a bit surprised there were no women at the class.

My wife would have no interest in something like IDPA, but she is totally game for going to the range some time. We just haven't been able to find the time.

Thaks for the review Steve. I'm glad you had a great time, and very happy to hear the time was well spent.

We do have trouble getting women into the shooting sports in general, and IDPA in particular. I'm not sure if it is a lack of interest, or a percieved intimidation. I do have one woman who regularly shoots, and is one heck of a shot. (Should have seen her target during the Low Light training we had recently. She shoots better in complete darkness than many men do in full daylight) She was willing to help instruct had there been some women in the course. I know she was disapointed there were none.

Who knows, maybe we'll have to run a 'Women Only' event next year so that the fairer sex can come have fun without the high testosterone levels.

There is also the possibility of taking the show "On the road" if there is some interest. Details would have to be worked out, but I kept the course simple in an effort to allow it to be run on almost any range.

We'll have to see what 2006 brings. (^_^)

Chris - if my schedule allowed I'd be there in a heart beat!! Maybe once things settle down at the range, I can get there at some point.

Back
Top Bottom