• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

F Class or Ftr

Vin81

NES Member
I’m fairly new to F Class. Seems like it’s not to popular in New England. PRS and sling matches mainly. Maybe I’m just not looking in the right places? Nationally there’s a ton like accurate shooter or the hide. Figured I’d find something here. Any thoughts?

There are usually F / FTR classes at the area prone matches. Check in with clubs that have 600 yard ranges.

I shoot F-class open at Nashua and Keene N.H. Reading, MA. has them and Scarborough ME. all 600 yards. We also go to Forbes in Albany, NY. for 1000 yards.

Does anyone have a calendar/list put together of only f class matches in the mass/nh/Maine/ area for 2023?

I’m thinking about trying F class. Can you even be competitive with a factory gun?

I’m thinking about trying F class. Can you even be competitive with a factory gun?
Depends on the gun.
The F-class X-ring is 1/2 moa. Ideally you want a rifle/ammo combo that will at least do that.
However, if you are just looking to get started, use what you've got. Don't take this the wrong way, but in your first match, you're not going to be competitive anyway (unless you already have competitive rifle experience). The main thing is to get out there and do it.
Best thing would be to let the match director know you want to try it out. I'd be surprised if they didn't offer you a rifle and ammo to use.

Depends on the gun.
The F-class X-ring is 1/2 moa. Ideally you want a rifle/ammo combo that will at least do that.
However, if you are just looking to get started, use what you've got. Don't take this the wrong way, but in your first match, you're not going to be competitive anyway (unless you already have competitive rifle experience). The main thing is to get out there and do it.
Best thing would be to let the match director know you want to try it out. I'd be surprised if they didn't offer you a rifle and ammo to use.
Thanks, for the advise. I toyed with idea of trying FTR but my 308 is not really up to the task. My “target gun”is a 6.5 creed shooting about half inch for 5 shots at 100 but I know the 7’s dominate f open. Im gonna try to get to keen to watch a match and look around before I decide what I want to do.

Go to Keene and SHOOT the match. Use your 6.5; many guys do and there's no real reason to use anything else at this point. We're in New England; a good 6 5 bullet will handle the little wind we get. Out West in wide open spaces, a 7mm bullet MAY be better.

Go to Keene and SHOOT the match. Use your 6.5; many guys do and there's no real reason to use anything else at this point. We're in New England; a good 6 5 bullet will handle the little wind we get. Out West in wide open spaces, a 7mm bullet MAY be better.
Sounds good! I will give it a shot, thanks

Back
Top Bottom