IDPA Cover Garment

Joe G

NES Member
After Sunday's match at Riverside I've become uncomfortably aware that my lined, hooded windbreaker is not an appropriate cover garment for summer competition. I'm looking for recommendations - both for IDPA and for actual CCW. The ideal suggestion would be good for both.

Some of the vests that people were wearing seemed functional from a competition point of view, but screamed "GUN INSIDE" and would cause me to stand out in a crowd.

The opposite extreme would be taking an old ratty XXL button-down and tearing off the sleeves. It would be light and comfy, but it would need to be weighted somehow so that it could be thrown back when I draw. And it would not be terribly pretty for me to be wearing in public.

TIA,

- Joe

Personally, I use a "safari vest" from Cabelas.

http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ...ucts&QueryText=vest&Ntx=matchall&N=4887&Nty=1

I'm not that worried that it "screams GUN INSIDE."

To us gunnies, yes if we see someone wearing a photog vest and no camera, we suspect they're carrying. But the average sheeple is oblivious. A few years back I was at Brooks Brothers in Boston trying on a suit coat. They were having a sale, so the floor was pretty busy. No one other than the salesman and tailor noticed the black Kimber Compact in my belt holster outlined against my white dress shirt, and that includes a woman who was within 5 feet of me.

Besides, the extra pockets are useful and I'm not supposed to sit on my wallet anymore.

You can also use a long sweatshirt or pullover. That works for carry, but would slow you down in competition. Some people leave their shirts untucked. I don't like that look, but if it works for you...

Joe G said:
After Sunday's match at Riverside I've become uncomfortably aware that my lined, hooded windbreaker is not an appropriate cover garment for summer competition. I'm looking for recommendations - both for IDPA and for actual CCW. The ideal suggestion would be good for both.

Some of the vests that people were wearing seemed functional from a competition point of view, but screamed "GUN INSIDE" and would cause me to stand out in a crowd.

The opposite extreme would be taking an old ratty XXL button-down and tearing off the sleeves. It would be light and comfy, but it would need to be weighted somehow so that it could be thrown back when I draw. And it would not be terribly pretty for me to be wearing in public.

I wear a lightweight fleece vest both for IDPA and about town. It's light enough for all but the height of summer. If it's too hot for that, I wear a t-shirt and an unbuttoned, untucked shirt. Generally I wear a hawaiian shirt: the fabric is a little stiffer than normal and the pattern both hides printing and stuns would-be attackers with my godawful fashion sense. You can also just use an untucked shirt. It takes two hands to draw but does nicely follow the spirit of IDPA.

Who cares about an extra few tenths of a second if you're having fun and learning something? I know I'm not comparing my times to the guy shooting a full size gun with a magwell or the guy using using an OWB kydex rig: when I finish a stage I compare my run to how well I know I could have done if I did everything right.

Get some style in your life.

Guayabera Shirts

100-i-new-ss.jpg

Regards,

As often as the weather will allow, I too prefer the Hawaiian shirt as a cover garment.

This is what I often wear when not competing, so it's great training to shoot with what I usually wear on the street.

Yes, get some fashion in your life.

I had a windbreaker with me yesterday and discovered real quick that it was just too warm. But Hawaiian shirts sound like a good idea...

MrTwigg said:
Sweet link ! [smile]
I've been there... the store is huge and the selection of shirts is amazing. When I go back, I will be coming home with more than only three shirts!

You might also look here for vests... the summer weight Working Man's Vest might be good, although I don't know if the mesh on the back is all there is or not. That'd be bad for a concealment garment if it was see-through... [wink] But they have their regular weight one which looks good, or the moleskin one (SR - no moles were harmed in the making of those vests!).

I saw a guy at an Extra Space Storage facility once wearing a logoed denim vest that was longer than usual; wish I knew where Extra Space ordered them from; it'd be a GREAT concealment vest. Denim, with only the usual number of pockets so it doesn't look like you're a photographer who's lost his camera.

Thats the way I roll...an oversized tropical themed shirt worn open over a tucked in T shirt. Or you could go with the Don Johnson/Sonny Crocket look and wear a light cotton white jacket............

Back
Top Bottom