IDPA (and other action shooting) and Life Insurance

Just wondering if any of you have experience with participating in IDPA disqualifying you for life insurance (or boosting your rates)?

From the IDPA membership application:
I UNDERSTAND THAT ENGAGING IN DEFENSIVE PISTOL SHOOTING ACTIVITIES CONSTITUTES MY INVOLVEMENT IN A VERY HAZARDOUS AND DANGEROUS ACTIVITY WITH ACCOMPANYING RISKS OF PERSONAL INJURY OR DEATH AND LOSS OR DAMAGE TO PERSONAL PROPERTY, AND I HEREBY VOLUNTARILY ASSUME THOSE RISKS.

I think this might be a problem with my insurance company... (because of my family situation life insurance is a very important issue for us).

Thanks,
Matt

Life Insurance

Check with an agent, but....

The exclusions on life insurance are explicit, the company can't just add some after a claim is filed becuase they thing you were wreckless. There is a 2 year contestability period, during which a life insurance claim in MA may be denied due to misstatements on the application (for example, the failure to disclose a disease, mis-representing non-smoker status, etc.). After the two year contestability period is up, the insurance company can't go on a fishing expidion looking for a misrepresentation.

Exclusions are explicit - for example, suicide, skydiving, etc. "Engaging in an acitvity you know is risky" is not the kind of thing you find in a policy.

Back
Top Bottom