Ideas for a Trap\Skeet gun

I've been doing some research and so far what I've read is that the Remington 870 and 1100 30" in either 12 or 20 gauge is the way to go for newbie like me. I've been shooting since I was a kid, but have never handled a shot gun before.

All feedback welcome.

I've heard fit is most important. I've read that a good field test is to shoulder the shotgun with your eyes closed and take an aiming stance. When you open your eyes, if you're nicely aligned down the barrel, it fits. (maybe soneone can explain this better than me)

It seems like 28" and over is the choice of clay shooters. I'd go with the 12ga.

More knowledgeable folks will be along soon....

I am by no means an expert or accomplished clay shooter, but have done most of the clay sports - love sporting clays - golf with a shotgun!

Anyway, from what I have learned Skeet guns typically have somewhat shorter barrels than trap. 28" barrels are probably a good compromise for shooting all the sports - but the experts will be along shortly!

I would recommend against a pump action if you really intend to shoot skeet with it - can be done, and I have seen 25's shot with a 18" Rem 870, but definitely at a disadvantage. 1100's are excellent as are 11/87's. I have an OU Browning, as well as a SA Beretta 391 (20 ga) I bought at Dicks on sale for a great price. I have shot skeet, wobble trap and sporting clays with them. I like them both, but the OU is sweet.

Depending on your budget I would recommend a Beretta 391, 1100 or 11/87 (used should be very reasonable). If budget isn't much of a problem, take a look at the OU guns.

For Trap, go with a 12. All other things being equal, you're at a 20% disadvantage in the amount of shot (pellet count) with a 20 (Typical 20 ga target loads are 7/8 oz. Maxium allowed for competition is 1 1/8 oz., so that's what they pretty much all are in 12 ga.)

The info on fit above is spot-on. It's like wearing shoes the wrong size...won't be comfortable, and your perforance will suffer if the fit is wrong.

Now....before you buy....try on a few at your local range. Our club has club guns for people to use, but if you go out to your home club on Trap day and say "I'm trying to see what's best for me," The only problem is that you'll have a wide range of (often conflicting) opinions that are all often correct, as much of the game is subjective. I was told, "If you get a REAL Trap gun, you'll be a threat," but my misses are not my gun's fault! [laugh]

Since you've not decided on a single, all-consuming oving target sport yet, a good quality general purpose 12 ga. ( preferably with adjustable choke) IMO is your best bet. If you decide that Trap is the True Faith (tm), then get a dedicated Trap gun. Same for skeet...

And, speaking as a Cheap Yankee, remember that there are a lot of used "entry level" guns that people have traded up from.

You show Tewksbury as your location, but if you feel like coming down to Southborough Rod & Gun Club www.srgclub.com I'm sure that a variety of toys will be shared. We're having an Easter Egg Trap Shoot ( see the thread under copetition) this Sunday if you're interested.

Have fun!

Sibb,
I was looking for a trap/skeet gun last Saturday. I ended up going to Kittery Trading Post to look around. Even if you aren't interested in buying a gun there, they have everything you could possibly want to shoulder to get an idea of fit. At the least it will help you narrow down your choices. And if you don't mind ugly, they have some good deals ($295 for an ugly but functional Rem 1100 for example)

For Trap, go with a 12. All other things being equal, you're at a 20% disadvantage in the amount of shot (pellet count) with a 20 (Typical 20 ga target loads are 7/8 oz. Maxium allowed for competition is 1 1/8 oz., so that's what they pretty much all are in 12 ga.)

The info on fit above is spot-on. It's like wearing shoes the wrong size...won't be comfortable, and your perforance will suffer if the fit is wrong.

Now....before you buy....try on a few at your local range. Our club has club guns for people to use, but if you go out to your home club on Trap day and say "I'm trying to see what's best for me," The only problem is that you'll have a wide range of (often conflicting) opinions that are all often correct, as much of the game is subjective. I was told, "If you get a REAL Trap gun, you'll be a threat," but my misses are not my gun's fault! [laugh]

Since you've not decided on a single, all-consuming oving target sport yet, a good quality general purpose 12 ga. ( preferably with adjustable choke) IMO is your best bet. If you decide that Trap is the True Faith (tm), then get a dedicated Trap gun. Same for skeet...

And, speaking as a Cheap Yankee, remember that there are a lot of used "entry level" guns that people have traded up from.

You show Tewksbury as your location, but if you feel like coming down to Southborough Rod & Gun Club www.srgclub.com I'm sure that a variety of toys will be shared. We're having an Easter Egg Trap Shoot ( see the thread under copetition) this Sunday if you're interested.

Have fun!

+1 Great advice. Especially on the Easter Egg Shoot. Just walk around and let people know you're sane, can walk upright, and are new to the sport looking for your first. People in the "Clay World" are all addicts. And they LOVE to get new addicts. I think they get Bonus points for every addict they sign up.

+1 Great advice. Especially on the Easter Egg Shoot. Just walk around and let people know you're sane, can walk upright, and are new to the sport looking for your first. People in the "Clay World" are all addicts. And they LOVE to get new addicts. I think they get Bonus points for every addict they sign up.

One quibble with your post: Many Trap shooters are not sane....if you've seen some of the weather we've shot in, you'd agree! [laugh]

We had a 105 Trap shoot last fall, and it was raining so hard, you could literally see the path of the shot as it hit the raindrops! [rofl] This is another good reason not to spend too much $ on a trap gun....a $15K Perazzi likes nice weather....my A5 pretty much doesn't care! [smile]

FWIW, I do all of my trap shooting with an 870, and its perfect....but for skeet, a pump gun really just doesn't work very well...the doubles are nearly impossible to get.

Also worth noting is that pump guns tend to kick harder, so after a long day, you'll be more sore with a pump gun than a semi-auto...not that recoil matters to us...because we are manly men and all....

FWIW, I do all of my trap shooting with an 870, and its perfect....but for skeet, a pump gun really just doesn't work very well...the doubles are nearly impossible to get.

Also worth noting is that pump guns tend to kick harder, so after a long day, you'll be more sore with a pump gun than a semi-auto...not that recoil matters to us...because we are manly men and all....

Agreed there.
I did go 25 straight once in skeet with a Mossberg 500, but even I admit that was my lucky night.
If you want to get serious about clay sports, you should decide if it's going to be skeet or trap and then get a gun appropriate to the game.
I prefer skeet, and got myself a Browning Citori Skeet model (26") back in 1986, when they were only $700 new. [wink]
I've shot it countless thousands of times and it's has been superb.
A semi-auto just doesn't hold up to the pounding year after year like an O/U does.

Sitting on the sidelines reading this too-brief discussion, I realize why I come to this site every damn day. You guys offer up so much great info. And I feel my wallet getting lighter with every post.

Now I want to try shooting clays [sad2].

The cheapest brand name over/under shotgun you can buy that isn't made in some third world country is the Beretta 686, I believe. Its a nice gun, if it fits you.

Sitting on the sidelines reading this too-brief discussion, I realize why I come to this site every damn day. You guys offer up so much great info. And I feel my wallet getting lighter with every post.

You did see where I said that we'd share our toys at Southborough Rod & Gun, right?

And when it comes to wallet-lightening, we like to say, "When you're out of money, we've done our job!" [rofl]

Sibb,
I was looking for a trap/skeet gun last Saturday. I ended up going to Kittery Trading Post to look around. Even if you aren't interested in buying a gun there, they have everything you could possibly want to shoulder to get an idea of fit. At the least it will help you narrow down your choices. And if you don't mind ugly, they have some good deals ($295 for an ugly but functional Rem 1100 for example)

i agree with this.

they have a good selection that you can roam without having a salesman breathing down your neck (until you get to the browning section) and its a good place to try alot of different style guns all in one place to see how they feel.

You did see where I said that we'd share our toys at Southborough Rod & Gun, right?

And when it comes to wallet-lightening, we like to say, "When you're out of money, we've done our job!" [rofl]

I was going to mention that MisterHappy is the culprit in getting ppl addicted but, he fessed up all on his own.
[smile]

Thanks everyone for the feedback. MisterHappy I'll try out Dick's, they got a store in Danvers I'll check out.

First of all, hang out at a trap range and ask to try people's guns. Most people will be happy to let you shoot. Second determine if you want a dedicated trap gun or if you want to try different clay games of skeet, sporting clays and 5 stand.

Any shotgun with a "sporting" configuration will work. Avoid field guns as they shoot to flat. Semi's are an option if you are right handed and are willing to learn how to take the gun apart and really clean it. I just got certified as a trap/skeet coach, PM me if you have specific questions and check out this site:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/index.php

I went with the 30" 12ga. I'm looking to start shooting doubles, as that looks like a lot of fun. The shotti came with the Midas choke tubes improved modified in the over and improved cylinder in the under. Considering I've never even fired a shotgun before I'll try that configuration before messing with it. Any suggestions on the type of loads I should use? Are normal 12ga target loads fine for an amature?

Most 16 yard single trap is shot with a mod, Improved Mod and the old timer's will tell you use a full. The IC is too wide open for trap unless you are required to shoot steel shot. 7 1/2 or 8 target load is standard, most club sell ammo and buy it by the pallet. Standard cost for a box of ammo and clays is around $10.

Download this trap fundamental handout from Remington:

http://www.remington.com/pages/news-and-resources/downloads/brochure-downloads.aspx

Be safe on the line and have fun.

Back
Top Bottom