ICOM IC-7100

I have one and like it. It has a built in sound card so connecting to a PC via USB for the digital modes is fairly straightgforward. Most of my operating time has been PSK, WSPR, JT65. I've never used it for D-Star.

The just-discontinued Icom IC-7200 also has this feature. If you're in the market for an HF rig take a look at the just-released Icom IC-7300. It looks like a sweet rig.

If you have any questions re: the 7100 let me know.

I have one and like it. It has a built in sound card so connecting to a PC via USB for the digital modes is fairly straightgforward. Most of my operating time has been PSK, WSPR, JT65. I've never used it for D-Star.

The just-discontinued Icom IC-7200 also has this feature. If you're in the market for an HF rig take a look at the just-released Icom IC-7300. It looks like a sweet rig.

If you have any questions re: the 7100 let me know.

The 7100 is 2m/440 - 160m, but the 7300 is only HF/6m, as far as I can tell. Or am I missing something.

I would be more interested in an all band radio at this point. I figure if I'm going to plunk down $1500 ish...may as well get more bang for the buck.

Definitely interested in the digital modes including D-Star.

Thanks

I believe you're right, the 7300 is HF/6m only where the 7100 does HF/6/144/440. In that regard the 7100 is more versatile, but it doesn't have a built in tuner. I stuffed my 7100 into a Gator half rack case along with a power supply and tuner, pics attached, and I pack it up and take it along when we go to our place in Maine. It's not really grab-and-go portable like a 'go box' but it does travel well. I keep telling myself that I'm going to get more into D-Star but I'm still way down at the bottom of the learning curve.

IMG_7022.JPG IMG_7024.JPG IMG_7030.JPG IMG_7042.JPG IMG_7046.JPG

I believe you're right, the 7300 is HF/6m only where the 7100 does HF/6/144/440. In that regard the 7100 is more versatile, but it doesn't have a built in tuner. I stuffed my 7100 into a Gator half rack case along with a power supply and tuner, pics attached, and I pack it up and take it along when we go to our place in Maine. It's not really grab-and-go portable like a 'go box' but it does travel well. I keep telling myself that I'm going to get more into D-Star but I'm still way down at the bottom of the learning curve.

View attachment 160982 View attachment 160983 View attachment 160984 View attachment 160985 View attachment 160986

That is a slick setup. Maybe this fall after go pass the General test I will pick your brain a little bit about this rig.

Back
Top Bottom