• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

ICOM 7300

Admin

Staff Member
Administrator
NES Member
Anyone else have this rig? I started with the 705 and added this for my base. I have a question on 80m interference that I didnt see on my 705.

Anyone else have this rig? I started with the 705 and added this for my base. I have a question on 80m interference that I didnt see on my 705.

I have had one since before covid, what kind of interference are you getting? are you powering the radio from a different PSU? some switchers have RFI problems.

ETA: does the interference follow a pattern? like every X khz? sometimes you can use that to narrow down what might be causing it.

Last edited:
I have had one since before covid, what kind of interference are you getting? are you powering the radio from a different PSU? some switchers have RFI problems.

ETA: does the interference follow a pattern? like every X khz? sometimes you can use that to narrow down what might be causing it.
Cross spectrum. Only happens on 80m, I never saw this on any band with the 705. I may connect the 705 again tonight to see if it's showing now.

I am using this power supply. MFJ MFJ-4230MVP MFJ 4230MVP MightyLite 30 Amp Switching Power Supplies | DX Engineering

These shoot across the entire spectrum pretty regularly. I assuming it's something in the house causing it, if so does anyone know how I find it?

1673358345239.png

When you say "these shoot across the spectrum" do you mean like they sweep across? If they do, I think those are chirps used to test propagation. That doesn't explain why you'd see them on one radio and not another though, and only on 80m.

So you A/B testing from same position vs 705 w same antenna? That pattern seems oddly regular intervals.

So you A/B testing from same position vs 705 w same antenna? That pattern seems oddly regular intervals.
I literally took out my 705 and put in my new 7300. Same antenna. The 7300 is powered by the MFJ, the 705 was powered by the ICOM power supply that looks like it was for a laptop.

Mike, I wouldn't say it's regular intervals, but its frequent, I dont think I can go more than 5 seconds or so without seeing a full line of noise across the spectrum.

I literally took out my 705 and put in my new 7300. Same antenna. The 7300 is powered by the MFJ, the 705 was powered by the ICOM power supply that looks like it was for a laptop.

Mike, I wouldn't say it's regular intervals, but its frequent, I dont think I can go more than 5 seconds or so without seeing a full line of noise across the spectrum.

So those spikes are on, then off?

When you say "these shoot across the spectrum" do you mean like they sweep across? If they do, I think those are chirps used to test propagation. That doesn't explain why you'd see them on one radio and not another though, and only on 80m.
I've seen those once in a while, these fill the spectrum, shoot or sweep it was probably the wrong choice of words because I know what you're talking about.

Im going to hook back up the 705 tonight and see if I can replicate this on 80m. I'll also try running the 7300 on a battery to try and rule out the power supply.

Time intervals or frequency intervals?

Are you talking about static crashes? May even "kill" your audio while the AGC catches up?

Just did some image searches.

I get this kind of noise, although primarily on 15m, where it's every x KHz.

iMac-SDRPlay-Noise-Level.jpg

And this is a big static crash across the whole band (and then some). These seem worse on lower bands.

w4pre%2Bat%2B0614.jpg

I couldn't find a picture of the propagation scan chirp, but it looks like someone was tuning up while sweeping the VFO quickly across the band.

still working on reducing the b.s. in the house for the 7300. I found out the nice little lamp I have on my desk creates a lot of noise. It sucks because I liked it alot. [smile]

Still have some offenders but until the house is empty and I can cut the power it will take some time to square it all away.

still working on reducing the b.s. in the house for the 7300. I found out the nice little lap I have on my desk creates a lot of noise. It sucks because I liked it alot. [smile]

Still have some offenders but until the house is empty and I can cut the power it will take some time to square it all away.
At least the noise is local which allows you to fix it. It's a different story if some a**h*** with cheap chinese pot grow lamps that leak RFI is two houses down from you and they don't care, lol.....

At least the noise is local which allows you to fix it. It's a different story if some a**h*** with cheap chinese pot grow lamps that leak RFI is two houses down from you and they don't care, lol.....
Hopefully I dont find that. Its fine during the day on 80m. I was on it a lot today testing winlink. Something is happening at night.

Hopefully I dont find that. Its fine during the day on 80m. I was on it a lot today testing winlink. Something is happening at night.
If its night it might be someones photocell operated lamp, etc.

still working on reducing the b.s. in the house for the 7300. I found out the nice little lamp I have on my desk creates a lot of noise. It sucks because I liked it alot. [smile]

steve carell anchorman GIF

@Admin not related to your noise issue, but what are you running for an antenna?

11' off the ground, straight from the house out to my range.

11' off the ground, straight from the house out to my range.
Cool, thank you. I have been considering their MPAS 2.0 kit as well.

Make sure you're in bypass mode... I never got the tuner to work for me on my g5-rv or 80m dipole (homebrew flavor)

Worked very well on a new MFJ versatune. (Can't remember which model number, but around $220 from HRO)

I *do* run mine setup for PSK31 almost exclusively. So some of my noise/notch/filter settings are geared for digital.

Back
Top Bottom