IBM M1 carbine - 2ND range report

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
No, I didn't get one...yet.

I've decided to complete my American arsenal next June with a M1 carbine. To my surprise I did get a little something from Santa which would be about 1/3 of a carbine. I have decided to bank it in advance of this.

Currently the American portion of my collection consists of a 1919 RIA receiver 8/31 Springfield completed M03, and a 6/43 Remington 03-A3. Through the sale of a 1916 Simson & Co. Gew98, I will have a 2/18 M17 Eddystone arriving in the coming week. Through the selling of other assets, I am currently one week into the pipeline for a field grade M1 Springfield Garand, due in the usual 30-60 days (I have asked for a WWII dated receiver). With these rifles representing the most of the major US manufactures, this leaves me only a Winchester to complete the lot.

I am looking a carbine education from NES members. What to look for, what to avoid, etc. What I know is from surfing Gun Boards and noting the descriptions and comparing pictures.

So where do I begin?

MS

I've already found a neat WWII repro accessory package; sling, oiler, and buttstock pouch for $28.

KGrHqZhE7Q2NzlfCBO7rfTD9IQ60_3.jpg

Last edited:
You can still get original accessory sets for decent money. Shotgun News usually has an add or two with vendors selling them or you can check the Marlboro show at the end of January.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

This is good for now; repro for shooting, original for show. I guess I'll start backwards; accessories and magazines first!

MS

Since you are already looking for a Winchester I can't tell you to avoid the commercial ones. Just like any milsurp barrel and general wear of parts. The more earlier parts the more money they bring. These parts are flip sights, no bayonet band, and push button safeties. Also watch for fake inspector stamps on stocks. Do NOT pay extra for an inspector stamp unless you know for sure it is real. I personally will not pay anything for a stamp, but people pay big dollars for them. Winchesters seem to bring in more money because of the name, no other reason. Rock-ola made the fewest and Irwin pederson's bring in the most money.

I have a Winchester spring tube I got from the CMP. I shoot it all the time. There is no reason not to.

those 'butt stock' pouches were not made for that. They were made to go on a belt, but some GI's used them on the stock. If you have a nice stock, you will not want to put it on there as the snap on the original pouches will scratch the heck out of the stock.

It's VERY unlikely that you'll find an original all Winchester as the vast majority of the carbines have been reassembled over the years with various makes and nearly all went thru the 'improvements' with newer parts. I have a early (first batch) Winny that had a later stock which I replaced with a very expensive high wood version. But I can't replace the newer sight on it with a flip site as it was staked so firmly that the stake marks will be very obvious if I change it back to original.

Trying to locate all the original parts for most of the carbines available now, and swapping newer stuff out for replacements is very likely going to prove cost prohibitive.

Not looking for an 'original' configuration, just a decent plinker. I want a C&R that's small enough to start training my son in a couple of years or so. This seems perfect as I'm not interested in owning a .22. I'm not fixed on Winchester, but I would like one in my collection.

MS

those 'butt stock' pouches were not made for that. They were made to go on a belt, but some GI's used them on the stock. If you have a nice stock, you will not want to put it on there as the snap on the original pouches will scratch the heck out of the stock.

or do what i did, and cut/pull the snap off

On the back side, there's a single male snap. Meant to lock on a female adapter on a waist belt.

One thing I like about em is its comfy to rest cheek on while shooting

Took the quick solution to the problem; gave up on a Winchester. Traded my S/42G K98K Mauser (RC/restored) to a NES member (thanks again!) for this IBM M1 Carbine. Parkerized refurb with peep rear sight, lever safety, and bayonet mount. Serial number dates this piece to March of 1944. AO subcontract receiver, HI rear sight, MMQ front band, SW magazine, sling, oiler, and 12-20-1950 dated pouch. IBM barrel is very good. I've mounted the pouch to the sling for now. Blue Sky import.

Big American Family Picture coming next month.

023.jpg

021.jpg

020.jpg

019.jpg

018.jpg

017.jpg

016.jpg

015.jpg

014.jpg

MS

Last edited:
Took it down to check inside and wipe it down. Some soot from blowback in the front parts of the stock and handguard. The stock has no marks whatsoever. Is this normal? Perhaps a replacement stock as no major blemishes? Wood looks older.

MS

Last edited:
It's a potbelly stock. They were used on later Carbines, but made for M2's thats why the cutout is there, to the left of the chamber. If there is a mark from the MFG it will be in the sling well. The upper handguard will have one on the under side unless they are replacement stocks which is very likely.

It's a potbelly stock. They were used on later Carbines, but made for M2's thats why the cutout is there, to the left of the chamber. If there is a mark from the MFG it will be in the sling well. The upper handguard will have one on the under side unless they are replacement stocks which is very likely.

Looked over the slingwell with a magnifying glass and flashlight - nothing.

MS

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350516491068?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

MS

P.S. It's less if you go to their website; I've ordered a M07 sling for the Eddystone from them as well.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but those look like 10 round mag holders in your original post. That is what is out there now as far as repo. One item which is a much have is a bolt tool. makes changing the springs etc. such an easy task compared to without.

Very nice rifle....congrats

Last edited:
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but those look like 10 round mag holders in your original post. That is what is out there now as far as repo. One item which is a much have is a bolt tool. makes changing the springs etc. such an easy task compared to without.

Very nice rifle....congrats

I am returning the repro mag pouch as soon as it gets here as the IBM came with an original. Use that money to get a couple of original mags from (XXXXXXX).

I will get the bolt tool shortly; I know better than to try to take it apart without it. I've already ordered one for my Garand. I stripped the rifle down further than I intended as the bolt came out. Thank God for the Surplus Rifles link. Still don't know how I did it, but quite a bit of fussing later I got the tab of the bolt back into the action arm. Rifle is exceptionally clean from its rebuild; only a little soot from some shooting.

The only IBM parts are the barrel and the receiver, and the receiver is actually an AO subcontract. The rest is a mixmaster; bolt is Rock-Ola, trigger group is Inland, hammer and magazine are SW, front band is MMQ, and the bayonet lug is EMQ. Butplate is unmarked and the wood hole for the screw is stripped; I have the screw wrapped in electrical tape to hold it in. Barrel is bright and shiny; hopefully I can find a box of carbine today and try it out.

How might I fix the stock to re-seat the butt plate screw?
MS

Last edited:
I fixed the butt plate screw by drilling the hole a little deeper and lining it with a flared broken off wooden match. Now the screw head is flush and the screw has something to bite.

Took it to the range today. Bought a box of Tula (Russian) steel case 110gr FMJ for $20. 41 degrees and raining. The first mag had three ejection stove pipes. The second mag I tapped firmly to set the heads flush, and there were no problems with the second 15. I shot 30 rounds at 50 yards, standing, with hasty sling. Elevation was fine. We do have a problem - the rear sight base drifts out of its position when firing and I didn't notice this until the second mag. Looks like I have to get it re-peened to hold it in place. Once it is nailed down and I get the windage right, this should be a great shooter.

003.jpg

MS

Back
Top Bottom