I was walking in the woods tonight..

ccm75

NES Member
And the lights were on! It always amazes me how well you can see some nights in the woods, especially with a little snow on the ground.

We are fortunate to live adjacent to 500 acres of state land so I often take the dog out for a run on the trails once the kids are in bed. (the dog runs, I walk - good for my fat ass too!) Even with snow falling an over cast sky, the fields and woods were lit up like mid-day. I could easily see 100 yards or better across the open and half that far in the woods. Made me think of the guys in WWII in the wintertime. Hunkered down in the woods looking over snow covered fields...

Back in my 11B days we called it "lunar illumination", but even with no moon there is plenty of light reflecting off the snow. The snow was crusted over so it was easy walking - a really nice night to be out. All quiet with the snow falling...

I recently picked up a dying rabbit call at Dick's. I think I may have to bundle up and get a white bed sheet, my hot seat, full choke 12 ga. and see if I can call up a coyote back there. Fox and coyote tracks everywhere, I've just never given it a try. Plenty of shooting light for sure!

My buddy was in the woods last night w/the moon a gleamin'.
First came the fox, then the coytotes, the rabbits! You're right about the snow, even starlight make everything bright. It's a good time to see whats up. I watched a fisher on his rounds one night for about an hour and a half on the snowy wooded ground during a full moon. Those critters cover alot of ground quick! Every nook and cranny was investigated!

There is something entrancing about the woods on a winter night. I particularly like being out on a moonlit night. Never tried it with a rifle, but it sounds good to me.

I agree. I just came in off the lake with my dog. We walked on the ice and could see every house around the pond. It's beautiful out there tonight. I wish I wasn't too fat to tie my ice skates on..

I love being out and about when it's snowing at night. It's my absolute favorite part of nature. When I was living in Western Coventry I used to take my truck out onto this old fire trail at night in the snow and do some fourwheeling... man, some good times. That's when I feel the most at peace with myself, at night in the snowfall.

You guys are so damn poetic! Had to whip this one out:

Robert Frost
Stopping By Woods On A Snowy Evening

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.
My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.
He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

01/10/09 was going to be the brightest full moon of 2009.

With all the snow here and coming down with the flu I am afraid I couldn't see it very well from my apartment windows.

Robert Frost

I wanted to use that poem on the back of my Christmas Card, but it wouldn't fit on the 5x7 postcard format. [sad2]

So I used this (this is half of it)

A Christmas Carol
by Christina Rossetti

In The bleak mid-winter
Frosty winds made moan,
Earth stood hard as iron,
Water like a stone
Snow had fallen, snow on snow,
Snow on snow,
In the bleak mid-winter,
Long ago.

I've got a stream about 300 feet through the woods. Dead quiet there on a winter night. You can hear the snow falling over the gurgle of the stream.

Awesome place under moonlight.

At around 12:30am last night I looked out into my backyard and I swear it was light enough that I could have gone out and read the newspaper.

Not that I am an overly religious man, but that hymn "In the Bleak Midwinter" is probably one of the most beautiful I have ever heard. You should listen to it Gringo, if you haven't.
Used to sing it as a choir boy.......boy does that seem a long time ago

ace57

Not that I am an overly religious man, but that hymn "In the Bleak Midwinter" is probably one of the most beautiful I have ever heard. You should listen to it Gringo, if you haven't.
Used to sing it as a choir boy.......boy does that seem a long time ago

ace57

I found the words quite moving. I read up a little about the author. Interesting story. If you can point me toward an online audio recording, I'd like to hear it as intended. If I have to go to church to hear it, it may be quite a while.

I found the words quite moving. I read up a little about the author. Interesting story. If you can point me toward an online audio recording, I'd like to hear it as intended. If I have to go to church to hear it, it may be quite a while.

Doh! What an ass I am! I researched this hymn and read up on the author's life before using the first verse on my Christmas card, and never took the extra step to check out iTunes! It seems this hymn has been recorded by James Taylor, Dan Fogelberg, Judy Collins, Placido Domingo, Olivia Newton-John and even ... Cindy Lauper?

Holy cats!

(never mind)

Robert Frost

Glad you brought this one out. One of my favorites. I love the snow at night.

Winter woods

I walk the dog very early in the mornings well before sunrise,and in the dark before bed, and these winter nights when the full moon shines down on the snow are almost magical. I've had coyotes pass us by within 20 yards, and small groups of whitetail watch us, with eyes glowing softly in the reflected moon. One night we came within yards of an owl hooting in the moonlight. There is something to be said for living a bit outside of town.

Glad you brought this one out. One of my favorites. I love the snow at night.

It was also Frost's favorite. He said the poem was probably " his best chance for remembrance."

One analysis I read said that Frost had an experience going through the woods one night - traveling to town in 1905 in the unsuccessful attempt to sell eggs so he could buy his children Christmas presents. The experience was so painful, he could not write about it until 17 years later.

I wanted to use that poem on the back of my Christmas Card, but it wouldn't fit on the 5x7 postcard format. [sad2]

So I used this (this is half of it)

A Christmas Carol
by Christina Rossetti

In The bleak mid-winter
Frosty winds made moan,
Earth stood hard as iron,
Water like a stone
Snow had fallen, snow on snow,
Snow on snow,
In the bleak mid-winter,
Long ago.

I've got a stream about 300 feet through the woods. Dead quiet there on a winter night. You can hear the snow falling over the gurgle of the stream.

Awesome place under moonlight.

Nice poems, who'da thunk it on here?

Your stream sounds nice also.

Good coyote hunting weather: cold and bright. I need to get out there. Lots of coyote, and this is prime time for pelts. Anyone have a good hide place in MASS?

When I visited in WA a year or so ago at Thanksgiving - the first snow of the season occurred...I am an early riser, and I sometimes jog at that time....so I put on my running shoes and ran in it...it was so neat. I always find the first snow feels warm to me - looking up at the very tall green trees, seeing the lake water behind them....so quiet. I love it! [grin]

I love being out and about when it's snowing at night. It's my absolute favorite part of nature. When I was living in Western Coventry I used to take my truck out onto this old fire trail at night in the snow and do some fourwheeling... man, some good times. That's when I feel the most at peace with myself, at night in the snowfall.

Oh, really?....Do you mind sharing where that was? Sounds like fun.....I'm in Western Coventry a lot [wink].

We did an overnight at the Mystic Aquarium and got to explore the outside exhibits at night- the Beluga Whales swimming in the moonlit tanks were amazing!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom