I think I did a stupid thing last night

If a perp tried to get into my gunsafe - they would end up blowing up the house

I will hazard a guess that most people find out they were broken into when they see things inside that are missing/out of place and THEN they search around and find a broken basement window or whatever the source of entry was. I think it is far less common to see your front door flapping in the wind.
It does happen, though - before I was married I was up here visiting my fiancee one time when I forgot to pull the door completely shut on my way out (had an armful of riding gear - helmet, jacket, etc). I realized what I'd done before I'd gone a mile down the road, turned around and went back. Door was open, boombox and a couple of belt knives were gone. I was gone less than 5 minutes. I'm not sure, but I still think I actually passed the guy who broke in in the hallway. He was gone before I was sure that there was anything missing, though.

I was waiting for someone to mention it but read every post hoping someone would be smart enough to suggest having one.

People... EVERY home or apartment should have an alarm system! Its always the family that waits till they're robbed before they get one. Every time mine has been set off accidentally, the phone rings in a few seconds right after the alarm goes off, then if no one answers, the cops are here in under 2 minutes.
You're either incredibly lucky, live right near a cop shop, or are quoting an ADT commercial.

I've seen those things fail entirely, or get ignored. I remember a time back when I was working as a [STRIKE]target[/STRIKE] security guard that ADT completely screwed the pooch. Our post was in the front office of a manufacturing plant; we were not allowed on the shop floor as it had electric eyes in every aisle. One night, someone backed up a truck to the wall, broke through and cleaned it out... and ADT did NOTHING. We guards weren't at fault as we were specifically not allowed back there - this was entirely on ADT.

Also, if you have too many false alarms, the PD may start charging you for them - I've heard of that happening. There's also the fact that like any other electromechanical system, it can break - have the alarm start going off for no reason, for example.

And of course, when seconds count, the cops are only minutes away.

They have their uses, but alarm systems are NOT panaceas.

I have had a second floor neighbor steel a washer/dryer from me when they moved out and i was at work - cops could do nothing.

I had an alcoholic co-worker of my wife's, who was also in the family in a sister in laws, husbands, brother type of way who broke in and only stole some Mexican Mayan kahlua bottles from us

I had my brother break in and steal our rent money and jewelry

I 2 times had people try to climb in my window while i was home - they never made it.

I had another man try to start to climb in my window. when i stepped out to confront him he saw the size of me and took off.
Hobbit, have you considered MOVING?????

Your wife actually calls you "fprintf"? I think you've taken the internet personna too far.[smile]
Where do you think he got the screen name from? [laugh] Hate to point out the obvious, but yeah, my friends DO call me Dwarf. Hell, MrTwigg calls me that all the time!

Yep, these posts proves what my wife has been saying all along. Guys are dumber the girls. [laugh] All kidding aside, I think if it ever happens again we'll call the cops. I'm really hoping it's was just the door didn't close properly when we left, but who knows at this point.

I did change the locks when we moved in as well as the code to the garage door opener, just to be sure. My door doesn't have a dead bolt. I went to Home Depot and bought a Schlage outdoor locking doornob and dead bolt. I'm going to install it today. Wondering though if they are the best I can get. They damn were the most expensive there.

Actually for the winter I change from the P3AT to my PM9 as it conceals fine in my coat. My thinking is that with all the layers people wear in the winter, the 380 rnd probably wouldn't be as effective as I'd want it to be.

But then another thread would emerge asking "Should I be part of the NES response team ? It's kind of cold outside " [smile]

then the next day when the pics of the triumphant response team were posted some will ask:

"is that a high cap magazine? and a flash hider? and I can't see Greg's trigger finger since his hands are in his pockets so he must have his finger on the trigger!"

Now that I have some time . . .

7 days after we passed papers on our house, it was broken into and the perps ran out the back door into the woods as we drove up the driveway. We were working on the house and bringing some stuff in with each trip to the house. There was probably $1K in tools, a few radios, clocks, etc. in the house but no furniture/clothes.

We backed out and called the police from the neighbor across the street (this was 35 years ago, no cell phones). The responding officer refused to enter the house unless I went with him, BECAUSE HE FORGOT HIS GUN AT THE STATION! No shit! And I was stupid enough to agree and enter the house unarmed (I didn't get my permits until a few few years later).

I immediately installed deadbolts after the police left. The locks were changed right after we passed papers.

When I worked for the PD, we responded to numerous alarm (or neighbor) calls for front door wide open. Luckily each case was "owner error" and not a real B&E. And yes, PDs get so many false alarms that there is a tendency to take them rather lightly. Most of the time the occupants don't pull it shut fully and the wind pops it open after they leave.

Alarms are good, but since they must reset w/in 15 minutes (IIRC), if a neighbor calls, the PD will only respond if you can isolate exactly what house it is coming from . . . which is difficult as noise reverberates off the trees, etc.
Monitored alarms are better, but in spite of TV commercials, nobody responds or calls within 10 seconds!

It's always safest NOT to try to clear your house by yourself. Too many nooks, crannies, under beds/furniture, in closets, etc. that someone can hide and attack you when you are within striking distance. That's why proper police procedure (not always followed) is to go in in teams with proper training in house clearing tactics.

NES Winter Rapid Response Team Gear

Group buy?

mil_sled1.jpg

I would have done the samething. I also would not have called the cops. Last thing you need is a cop wandering around your house. I would be afraid to be deemed unsuitable at my next LTC app.

My uncle lives in another anti state and had the same thing happen as you did except the neighbor saw the door open and not him. The neighbor called the cops. The cops went through his entire home by themselves and when it came time for renewal my uncle was denied a LTC and had to get a lawyer. Cost him 10 grand to get his LTC back. All because he forgot to pull the door all the way shut??? IMHO cops will do anything in an anti-state to refuse a citizen a license.

I deliver out of a big brown truck everyday. Less than a month ago, I came up to a house-call and their front door was wide open. It was windy and like 20 degrees outside, there was no car in the driveway. I was actually quite worried that someone may be hurt or possibly someone had broken in. Against my better judgement, I called into the house announcing my presence and took 5 steps into the house, trying to stay as "out of the house" as someone possibly can. Nothing seemed to be disturbed, the heat was cranking (obviously). I stopped, listened, and I didn't smell anything (thank God) so I left the package securely in their house and closed it up.
I couldn't stop thinking about it though for the next couple of hours. It actually never occured to me at the time that I could have run into a burglar. Which says alot for my self-defense IQ[thinking]

so I left the package securely in their house and closed it up.

I can't help but wonder what the residents thought when they found the box inside their house!

I know the monitored alarm is not a panacea, but I see it as another very useful layer of security... in the "olden days", your neighbors provided that function... now, I get my early warning from my electronic "observation post/listening post"

I can't help but wonder what the residents thought when they found the box inside their house!

OUTSTANDING CUSTOMER SERVICE! From a very handsome/strapping/virile 26y/o with stunning legs! Oh yeah...

Also, I thought the same thing, but I didn't hear anything about it so I'm gonna go with the above [smile]

I would have done the same thing you did but I would call the cops after, They will patrol your block for the next few days maybe catch somebody doing something bad instead of sitting at a DD waiting for you to call them. (Or giving me a speeding ticket[laugh])

No, you actually have the best oil on hand for that sticking bolt - gun oil! Now I don't want to start a debate about the best oils for sticking locks, because we might get into an argument about grease vs. oil, whether WD40 is suitable vs. an oil specific for the job at hand etc. But if the lock periodically sticks, maybe try CLP or something on it!!!! :)

I've done that, and it worked great.

They have their uses, but alarm systems are NOT panaceas.

Someone I know has one on their summer place, and it's connected to the heating system and smoke alarms so they know if the temperature in the house drops (so the pipes won't freeze) or if it's on fire. It seems like a good idea to me.

Actually for the winter I change from the P3AT to my PM9 as it conceals fine in my coat. My thinking is that with all the layers people wear in the winter, the 380 rnd probably wouldn't be as effective as I'd want it to be.

Smart man. [grin]

I would have done the samething. I also would not have called the cops. Last thing you need is a cop wandering around your house. I would be afraid to be deemed unsuitable at my next LTC app.

My uncle lives in another anti state and had the same thing happen as you did except the neighbor saw the door open and not him. The neighbor called the cops. The cops went through his entire home by themselves and when it came time for renewal my uncle was denied a LTC and had to get a lawyer. Cost him 10 grand to get his LTC back. All because he forgot to pull the door all the way shut??? IMHO cops will do anything in an anti-state to refuse a citizen a license.

I'm running out of disgusted phrases to say. This is just so screwed up.

I deliver out of a big brown truck everyday. Less than a month ago, I came up to a house-call and their front door was wide open. It was windy and like 20 degrees outside, there was no car in the driveway. I was actually quite worried that someone may be hurt or possibly someone had broken in. Against my better judgement, I called into the house announcing my presence and took 5 steps into the house, trying to stay as "out of the house" as someone possibly can. Nothing seemed to be disturbed, the heat was cranking (obviously). I stopped, listened, and I didn't smell anything (thank God) so I left the package securely in their house and closed it up.
I couldn't stop thinking about it though for the next couple of hours. It actually never occured to me at the time that I could have run into a burglar. Which says alot for my self-defense IQ[thinking]

I wish Mike was my UPS guy......

I really don't see why a BG would leave a door wide open, way more suspicious when someone drives up........my wife/kids have left the door open before and I've done the same thing......

THIS!

I would have posted in the members section asking some of you active guys for an artillery strike, better safe than sorry. My house and whatever is left and right, just in case they were hiding in the neighbors bushes. [wink]

"in spite of TV commercials, nobody responds or calls within 10 seconds!"

My home security system has paid for itself. We've had a couple of false alarms, but we've also had attempted B&Es. The siren and flood lights scared off the baddies at least twice (the first time they tried forcing the back door with a screwdriver, the second time they broke a window and left footprints in the snow - go figure). It's much better to clean up some smashed glass than it would be to have to smoke some perp. ADT has never let me down. They're usually on the horn before I get the 870 racked.

"in spite of TV commercials, nobody responds or calls within 10 seconds!"

My home security system has paid for itself. We've had a couple of false alarms, but we've also had attempted B&Es. The siren and flood lights scared off the baddies at least twice (the first time they tried forcing the back door with a screwdriver, the second time they broke a window and left footprints in the snow - go figure). It's much better to clean up some smashed glass than it would be to have to smoke some perp. ADT has never let me down. They're usually on the horn before I get the 870 racked.

No doubt they calll before you get the 870 loaded...with the MA storage laws. By the time you get the trigger lock off and load up or the gun out of the safe your toast.

[wink] hypothetically speaking, of course, a safe can technically be locked with the key in the hole, or so I've heard. See I have this friend... [smile]

I think I would have done the same thing. Keep in mind, it's always easier to figure out the best course of action after the fact. If you didn't have your CCW, running into your house would have been pretty dumb. Even still, and some might disagree with me, but if your family is with you, leaving them to search the house when the cops are or could be on the way (assuming you were able to call from a cell phone) might not be the best scenario. Maybe a better idea to wait with the wife and your CCW (holding both tenderly). Buuuuut, I can't blame you at all for doing what you did, I'd have done the same in the heat of the moment. Us preparedness minded folk have probably spent a good amount of time day dreaming about this kind of scenario.

"Combat roll into the living room, grab M4 from under the couch, flashbang, CLEAR!"

Woh, sorry I blacked out for a second lol

Add my to the list of guys who came home to find the front door open. My two young (at the time) kids were with me. I checked out the house. Later, experimenting with the front door, we discovered that with the right sequence of twist and pull, it could bounce open without latching. The new door has a deadbolt.

Back shortly after college, I went with my now-wife and one of her friends to the friend's house. I think she'd been away for a while, but she maneuvered it so I was the first to go in, being THE MAN, and all that. As I was fat, slow, untrained, and unarmed, I felt a little silly.

No doubt they calll before you get the 870 loaded...with the MA storage laws. By the time you get the trigger lock off and load up or the gun out of the safe your toast.

It's legal to store a loaded gun in a safe without a trigger lock on it in Mass.

I was waiting for someone to mention it but read every post hoping someone would be smart enough to suggest having one.

People... EVERY home or apartment should have an alarm system! Its always the family that waits till they're robbed before they get one. Every time mine has been set off accidentally, the phone rings in a few seconds right after the alarm goes off, then if no one answers, the cops are here in under 2 minutes.

These days most systems have remote keys that go off if your house alarm is tripped and alerts you wherever you are like a pager. If your front door lock didn't engage like it was supposed to and the door oppened by accident, you'd know about it before arriving home and being put in the scenario you were in.

While we're on the subject of doors... check your weather seals and make sure the door is closing correctly with just enough pressure to make it snug, not so much that you have to force it to lock.
Good call SKS, my door will feel and sound as if it is closed but if I push on it it opens right up with little effort. It happens only in winter but I always push on it to be sure it is fully closed and locked.

RR1, any lava dust left?

For quicker access, why not leave a few guns in your gun safe loaded? You don't need to have trigger locks on them, or store them unloaded. It's a misconception.

Would I have done the same? Depends. If I were alone, sure, I'd probably go in. If my wife was with me, I'd leap out of the car and eat grass as my wife tackled me and called the police.

I've had the same happend to me awhile back. Got home to see my door kicked in. At the time didn't have LTC, but did carry a large Knife. Wanting to catch them off Guard Rushed into the house Knife in hand. Small Apt at the time, Nobody was there nothing was missing. About a month later samething happend again and I moved. Now living in a house Gun Safe is down stairs me and the wife are upstairs. We keep a gun in the bedroom while sleeping and one time my wife was sure someone was in the house. Had me go downstairs gun drawn going room to room.

Back
Top Bottom