I suck and can't diagnose WTH is wrong with my AR-15--FTF

You're exactly right. What you read was a bastardized combination of "does it fail to lock back?" and "does it lock back?" and the appropriate "if it doesn't," or "if it does." Too much thinking/editing as I type. I mashed the two thoughts together, and f-d it up.

I fixed the post.

Double-negatives is the only time that two wrongs make a right. LOL

I may have to try some of these things on my Carbon15 before shipping it back to Bushy. It's not FTF, but FTE. Still, might check the bolt and such before I try something else.

Not necessarly , I just had a customer in who’s rifle was doing this exact thing, everything mechanically and structurelly checked out ok

After a few questions he told me he cleaned the rifle after every shoot but was primarily shooting steel case ammo before this happened , now with brass ammo it’s having problems.

A bronze chamber brush chucked into a cordless drill on low speed and a healthy soaking of kroil removed all the residual laquor that was built up in the chamber that regular cleaning wasn’t removing , after the initial slow pass the brush and kroil began lifting the goo and it was obvious the chamber was caked in it

The rifle now functions flawlessly

This isn’t the first time I’ve seen this happen from steel case ammo, then a switch to brass case

I actually see it quite a bit from steel case ammo, that and eroded gas ports and gas blocks, I’ve seen gas blocks with holes burned right through them

Sometimes it’s the less obvious things that cause problems
I call BS on any lacquer build up.
More of a problem is under powered 223 steel cases ammo does not expand and seal as good as brass causing a little fouling .... like when you shoot 38spl in a 357 for a long time then try to load 357
How hot does it need to be to soften or melt laquer? How hot do you think the chamber gets after shooting 280 rounds on ful auto?

any crud or gunk coming out can be many things.
If you did not isolate just the chamber it could have been powder fouling, copper or bimetal fouling or even just a build up of oxidized shit from sitting since last outing.
Whatching the giggle switch owners for several years at the shoots run thousands of shit cheap ammo through M16s, mini guns and even a few M 2 carbine running on a mix of steel cased and brass does not convince me laquer is a problem.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom