I love the smell of .22 in the morning...

dwarven1

Lonely Mountain Arms
And the evening, too. Actually, any time.

I know that this sounds weird, but I just love the smell of gunsmoke from .22 rimfire ammo. The smell takes me back to the summers of '73 and '74 when I learned to shoot on single-shot .22's at Timberlake Camp. The medical types say that smells are the most powerful form of memory, and I'd have to agree.

Don't get me wrong, I love shooting my .45's and .357's... but the gunsmoke doesn't smell the same way.

Does anyone else feel like this? Or am I the only weird one here?

Different .22 ammo has different smells. What kind do you like? I thinkt he PMC I shoot smells like burnt weeds.

I remember some of the target shooting .22 ammo smells really good. I dont buy high end .22 ammo anymore but if i remember right Eley Tenex had a distintive smell that I always enjoyed when a bunch of guys were shooting it at once.

Funny you brought this up as I was thinking the EXACT same thing today. I bought a Winchester model 74 yesterday because that was my dad's rifle that I learned to shoot during the summer of '71 (although his was chambered in .22 short made in '39 and the one I bought is .22 long rifle and made in '41) The thing I remember mostly about my first time with the Winchester was that a) it had NO kick b) it had a diminutive bark (in .22 short naturally) and c) the most exotic and aromatic smoke wafted from the ejection port. I inhaled the smell like perfume...I was shooting Win Super X and everytime I shoot .22 and get that smell it brings me back. If Dwarven1 can mix up a batch of .22 cologn I'm in for a quart. Besides, I'm almost out of Hai Karate!!!!!!!

OK we have to start a "after shave" line [smile].

22 Mornings

357 Kicker

45 Trench

Shot Gun at tea

(OK I think I have finely lost it [grin] [smile] [grin] )

Last edited:
Ross, you brought up some good memories of when our father taught us to shoot his Sears Ranger bolt .22. We had some great summers up at Lake Maranacook in Readfield, ME.

Thanks, guys... I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Yesterday I was shooting Remington bulk pack and Federal bulk pack. I've also noticed the aroma with CCI MiniMags, however. Maybe it's the priming compound that makes the distinctive aroma?

As for Wolf... I was putting some .30 Carbine through my M1, and boy... Wolf ammo smells BAD. Phew.

Of course, even bad smelling Wolf still smells like freedom, so I guess I can live with it.

Wolf is not all the same. Wolf steel cased centerfire ammo is all Russian made and pretty crappy (but functional).

Wolf rimfire ammo is nothing more than German-made SK Jagd match ammo in a different package. SK Jagd is Lapua's German subsidiary and their ammo is nothing short of superb if your rifle like it, like my Anschutz does.

This was Wolf Match Extra out of my Anschutz 1411, prone with a sling and irons.

iQNoq6OfSM1pFJClWi7TWcajXn6wHrQi0300.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
And the evening, too. Actually, any time.

I know that this sounds weird, but I just love the smell of gunsmoke from .22 rimfire ammo. The smell takes me back to the summers of '73 and '74 when I learned to shoot on single-shot .22's at Timberlake Camp. The medical types say that smells are the most powerful form of memory, and I'd have to agree.

Don't get me wrong, I love shooting my .45's and .357's... but the gunsmoke doesn't smell the same way.

Does anyone else feel like this? Or am I the only weird one here?

Smells and music are the most powerful memory joggers for me. As it relates to the .22, I have almost the same recollection. It was camp, in Maryland, in '72 or '73 when I shot my first gun. I remember, quite clearly, operating the bolt and getting a whiff of the spent casing. I was hooked.

Me , too. I bought a 22 LR upper for my AR several years ago and took it to the range. After several mags I noticed that old, familiar smell. I'm not sure I like the odor itself, or if it brings me back to my first exposure to shooting. Either way, I like that smell.

I like the smell of Blue Bear lube from a cast bullet. I've also found the Hodgdon powders don't have as nice of a smell.

Back
Top Bottom