I know this is a dumb question

But I was never in the military. Last night I was watching Platoon or something and when they would change a magazine on the M-16 they would bang it on the helmet. I've see that in other movies as well.
Is that a Hollyweird invention or for real? If so , why?

Thanks in advance

I also was not in the military but I thought they did that to assure the bullets were seated properly in the magazine.

When I was shown by an former military how to shoot an AR they would slap the bottom of the magazine on the table before putting it in. I just picked up the same habit.

U R Right,

It is done to seat the ROUNDS in the magazine (make sure that they are all pushed to the back wall of the magazine). It is done in an effort to make feeding more reliable.
It is (or at least was) standard military practice. I was taught to do it at MCRD San Diego, CA in 1993. I am in the military, 15 years so I've played with a few M-16A2's, M-4's and M-16A4's. I do the same practice when shooting my own AR-15's as well.
SMITTY

It is done to seat the ROUNDS in the magazine (make sure that they are all pushed to the back wall of the magazine). It is done in an effort to make feeding more reliable.
It is (or at least was) standard military practice. I was taught to do it at MCRD San Diego, CA in 1993. I am in the military, 15 years so I've played with a few M-16A2's, M-4's and M-16A4's. I do the same practice when shooting my own AR-15's as well.
SMITTY

Thanks for the confirmation.

You may all continue to flame my earlier post - Bastards - :)

But I was never in the military. Last night I was watching Platoon or something and when they would change a magazine on the M-16 they would bang it on the helmet. I've see that in other movies as well.
Is that a Hollyweird invention or for real? If so , why?

Thanks in advance

Common practice on an M1 clip. Always did it. Had to mostly.

We taught the new boots to do it because the alway panicked and did not push the rounds all the way back in the mag, then the Para feed would be off and then 16 would jam. But truthfully a bad planet alingmet could make it jam. It was more of a superstition thing, just like packng ciggereetes.

It is not "superstition". Ar/M16 mags(particularly the 20 rounders which were the original issued type) can have a tendency to misfeed if the rounds migrate to the front of the magazine and the bullet contacts the front of the magazine.

The tapping is done to seat the rounds to the rear of the magazine so the bullets are not in contact with the front inside of the mag body. The tap is on the rear of the magazine not the bottom.

Tapping the magazine on it's bottom actually increases the likelyhood of a misfeed by possibly cocking a round and or the follower inside the magazine if its not completely full.

This is also the reason that hollowpoint 7.62X39 ammo doesn't always feed reliably in drum magazines. The hollow bullet tips can get hung up on the insides of the drum whereas FMJs will feed smoothely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do not tap the magazines too forcefully! Most are made out of aluminum and can deform. I just tap the rear top against my chest a few times when reloading the AR.

OK so to make sure that I understand this..you slap the BOTTOM of the magazine on the table right? Not the top

Actually no. You slap the back (primer side, not pointy side of the cartridges) of the magazine to push them all the way back.

Sorry for the dupe.

Last edited:
Quite frequently during fire and manuever excercises, where one is up and running, then hitting the deck, the rounds will tend to move inside the magazine. Often the first round in the mag will have started working its way out.

Yeah, Derek has it right. You smack the BACK of the magazine, not the bottom or top. Into your palm like Derek said is good, or a slight rap on the edge of your shooting table or bench, or something solid like a tree. Be carful banging it on stone.

The palm is best.

Back
Top Bottom