I just bought a Walther P22 and ............

I freakin love this thing! I picked it up last night and you couldnt pry it out of my hands since. It has an excelent feel, appearance, and PRICE! With almost all of my semi auto handguns being in expensive calibers (40,45,380) I wanted something that could shoot a bunch of, fast and cheap so 22LR it was.

So anyway I threw a few boxes of Thunderbolts in my pocket went out behind my house and got alittle plinking in before the snow started. 200 rounds and it ran like a champ, its pretty damn accurate, a ton of fun to shoot and even throws a good flame! Best of all, the 200 rounds only cost me about $5

What a blast! Im very happy with my little $289 Walther [smile]

P22 is a great gun.

I had one, recently sold it only because it was a little too small for my hands.

I have my eye on a Sig Mosquitto, but NOT anytime soon.

I have enough 9mm amo to keep me busy into next fall before I even think of getting another .22LR pistol.

I have two rifles in .22LR that keep little man and I busy as well.

Congrats! I had a P22 for a little while and didn't care for it. But it sounds like yours is doing exactly what you want it to. If it's eating thunderbolt without issue, you got a good one!

I love my p22 too and I've used it to convert 2 antis [smile] brought them to the range once with it and they keep asking me to go back.

I was thinking about picking up one of these , but I havent actually made the commitment to go spend the $$$

Nice to hear compliments on them now... for a while, all that I saw were complaints! Looks like Walther got it's act together.

P22 is a great gun.

I had one, recently sold it only because it was a little too small for my hands.

I have my eye on a Sig Mosquitto, but NOT anytime soon.

I have enough 9mm amo to keep me busy into next fall before I even think of getting another .22LR pistol.

I have two rifles in .22LR that keep little man and I busy as well.
Did you go through that case of 9mm I sold you yet?

Nice to hear compliments on them now... for a while, all that I saw were complaints! Looks like Walther got it's act together.

I know i was pretty nervous about getting one after researching the hell out of them, but it was exactly what i was looking for.I took a leap of faith and was pleasantly suprised.

Wow, you found one that's not only reliable, but runs on Thunderbolts? I'd go and buy a lottery ticket.

Ya I didnt feel like breaking into a new federal bulk pack so I just grabbed some Thunderbolts despite what I had read about the P22's not liking them. After the first 2 mags I stopped waiting for a malfunction and started enjoying myself.

I cant wait for the snow to stop so I can take it out again

Nice! I wish I could just walk out into my back yard and plink some cans with a .22! Cops would show up pretty quick if I tried! [laugh]

[rofl] Ya it is nice Im the last house on a dead ends street with nothing but woods and powerlines behind me and to one side. I was messing around with my plasma cutter and welder and made some swinging steel targets out of some old lawnmover blades I had laying around so I have something to shoot at. [grin]

Did you say Rem Thunderbolt?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! [rofl]

I'd check out the barrel for lead if I were you. My friend managed to gunk up his P22 in about 150-200 rounds of that stuff. It was so bad that the gun started shooting bullets out sideways. (I'm not kidding, they were hitting the paper sideways)

-Mike

Did you say Rem Thunderbolt?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! [rofl]

I'd check out the barrel for lead if I were you. My friend managed to gunk up his P22 in about 150-200 rounds of that stuff. It was so bad that the gun started shooting bullets out sideways. (I'm not kidding, they were hitting the paper sideways)

-Mike

[rofl] Its all cleaned and back in the safe. The barrel wasnt too bad, the boresnake took care of it.

I've had nothing but rotten luck with my P22 regardless of ammo. I got so fed up with ejection issues, stovepipes, and FTF that I stopped even trying to get it to run. AG in Lowell said to bring it in and they'll try to fix it since that's where I bought it.

I am the proud owner the p22 Jay_Chris speaks of.[smile]

The thing is great! Went through 1000 rounds at the pumpkin shoot.
the CCI Blazer MinMags high velocity are great for it. Copper plated too and very clean. Not one failure in 500 rounds. I switched to Winchester High Vellocity and they too ran perfect. Had about 5 out of the 500 as duds. No jams at all using either ammo.

At the end of the day there was a white waxy flaky build up on the end of the barrel. That was fromn the Winchesters that seem to have thin wax coating on them. But a a patch of hoppes #9 made it all go away. Barrel was very clean for 1000 rounds.

I agree stay away from the thunderbolts. They are cheap for a reason. Better to pay a little more and enjoy your day than save a buck and spend all day cursing, not to mention the time ungunking it.

In terms of plinking ammo it's actually pretty damn decent, I still have half my case left. That and it's heavier than WWB.

i haven't shot WWB in over a year. what are they? 115gr?

it's probably mental, but i shoot better with heavier bullet weights...

the case i got from you is 124gr... i also have the UMC "green box" 147gr FMJ's to pick off.

no complaints.... [smile]

the CCI Blazer MinMags high velocity are great for it. Copper plated too and very clean. Not one failure in 500 rounds. I switched to Winchester High Vellocity and they too ran perfect. Had about 5 out of the 500 as duds. No jams at all using either ammo.

At the end of the day there was a white waxy flaky build up on the end of the barrel. That was fromn the Winchesters that seem to have thin wax coating on them. But a a patch of hoppes #9 made it all go away. Barrel was very clean for 1000 rounds.

I agree stay away from the thunderbolts. They are cheap for a reason. Better to pay a little more and enjoy your day than save a buck and spend all day cursing, not to mention the time ungunking it.

i miss her. [sad2]

[wink]

great gun, but she was becoming a safe queen.

i haven't shot WWB in over a year. what are they? 115gr?

it's probably mental, but i shoot better with heavier bullet weights...

the case i got from you is 124gr... i also have the UMC "green box" 147gr FMJ's to pick off.

no complaints.... [smile]
Yup, WWB FMJ is 115gr. Works for plinking, but not what you would exactly call match grade [laugh]

Im glad to hear youve had such great luck with yours as well. I really love this little gun for plinking and just hope im as lucky with mine.

Ya I dont have any CCI mini mags left in the safe only CB's [sad2] im not sure if I should keep feeding it the thunderbolts that I have (about 2 boxes left) until I have a problem or switch it right over next time I pick up ammo.

Thats interesting with the winchester ammo leaving a wax buildup. I usually buy the federal value packs, would you recomend using this winchester ammo despite the wax left behind or is that enough to discourage you using them again?

Im glad to hear youve had such great luck with yours as well. I really love this little gun for plinking and just hope im as lucky with mine.

Ya I dont have any CCI mini mags left in the safe only CB's [sad2] im not sure if I should keep feeding it the thunderbolts that I have (about 2 boxes left) until I have a problem or switch it right over next time I pick up ammo.

Thats interesting with the winchester ammo leaving a wax buildup. I usually buy the federal value packs, would you recomend using this winchester ammo despite the wax left behind or is that enough to discourage you using them again?

well, with regards to CCI mini-mags. i find the little bit of extra $$$ is worth it.

I've fed them through my ruger 10/22 & Mosberg 702 w/o a single hiccup.

i actually have about 300 rounds of American Eagle to pick off, as it's shitty ammo. i also have 500 rounds of winchester "X" something in a black box that i have to try as well.

in all, the CCI mini-mags and CCI standard velocity stuff seems to work well for me.

other's miles will vary.

PS: the most reliable gun with regards to ammo for me is the Mossberg 702. i fed that thing almost 1000 rounds of ammo, 500 was thunderbolts before i took it apart to clean it. -so yeah, i like that rifle...

I have on , too. I can think of 12 reasons why I should have bought something different , but I really really like the goddamn thing.

It's just plain fun to shoot.

But : use copper washed of plated ammo. Mine , and another I saw , and a few posted here all leaded very badly after shooting lead.

Last one I saw was keyhole-ing at 16 feet. ... but when I deleaded it and switched to ammo of higher ... uhmm ... caliber - it runs like a champ.

Have they fixed the reliability issues with these? I've read a LOT of complaints about reliability.

So had I and I was nervous about buying one but it was exactly what I was looking for as a plinker. All I can tell you is that it ran 100% with 200 rounds of thunderbolts.

Also if anyone was interested my P22's build date was 12/08/2008 so its a pretty damn fresh one. Maybe they have recently worked the bugs out??

Suppressed....

Been dying to pick up a P22 suppressed.... and in AZ I guess its not that hard.... that will be the next one for sure!!! I mean right after the 1911 buy is done.... hehehe! [smile]

When the wife was looking into getting her first gun, I tried one of these little P22's out alongside a SIG Mosquito and a S&W 317. After reading a lot of negative feedback about the P22 I had my doubts. However I was pleasantly surprised with how it shot & it's functionality.

The wife ended up picking the Walter and it's been great so far (only about a 1000 rounds through it to date). It's digested CCI mini mags, Federal bulk & Remington golden bullet bulk ammo without incident and accuracy is pretty respectable for an inexpensive plinker. Plus, like mentioned above, it's damn fun to shoot.

Back
Top Bottom