• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I have a dillema

I have had my HP for about 25 years. I recently had work done to it, KKM barrel, extended safety, wide trigger, fiber optic sights, new hammer, and the slide was cleaned up and reblued. Greg Derr did the work. It was worth every penny. This was my first gun and it has sentimental value. I now use the gun for IDPA.

Hmmmmm. Sounds interesting. Have you posted a recent photo of your HP?

I have a 26 year old Browning Hi-Power with relatively low mileage. Functionally it is perfect. Unfortunately, it is finished with, I think, Nickle. I want to replace the sights and have the weapon parkerized or blued.

I spoke to one person who suggested selling it and purchasing a new Browning with better sights and a more traditional finish. I was advised not to invest more into the weapon, I had ambidextrous safeties installed last year. This person claimed the trigger has a long travel before firing. I'm not sure why this is a problem, the weapon has fired every time I pull the trigger. He also claimed the ramp and throat on the barrel need some work, I'm not sure if this is a problem or not. Like I said, the weapon fires everytime and has not jammed.

One of the reasons I'm struggling with this decision, is this weapon was one of the last ones made and assembled by FN in Belgium.

I've been thinking about this for several days now and I'm torn between the following:

1). I love the Browning Hi-Power and would be happy with another one with good sights and a dark frame. I already have a good holster and two spare magazines.

2). Upgrade to a 1911A1, which was designed by the same person and has been a favorite of mine for many years. My only change would be to look for a model with a double stack magazine.

3). Stick with 9mm and get a Beretta 92FS. I used one in the Navy and I enjoyed shooting it.

I want a weapon with good night sights and can carry a minimum of 13 rounds. Ambidextrous safety is a huge plus. This is my carry weapon and I don't want to rush into a decision. I much prefer a military weapon with a classic design.

I am looking to my NES family for help in making this decision.

Thank you all and Happy Thanksgiving!

I'll take a different tack on this, everyone is mentioning the appearance of the gun. I noticed the trigger part of the post. It seems to me everyone wants a crisp 2-5lb trigger. I carried a Baretta with a 14lb trigger for years and never had a problem with it functionally. My agency wanted a heavy trigger to prevent AD/ND's.

If the trigger is sloppy and doesn't fire on a consistant pull, get it cleaned up, otherwise just be carefull when you fire a 1911 or other single action with a really light trigger. My first attempt put a lot of lead into the sky after a couple years of heavy triggers.

On edit: It's an historic type gun, keep it and buy something newer for carry. For $500 you can get a state of the art handgun you don't have to worry about.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom