I got a Finn 91/30

m44

I picked up a finn 91/30 today [smile], for the total of 90.00. Its a Finn that was rerussianed or something because it was imported as Russian. Its a 1938 round receiver m91/30 (small import stamp at the muzzle), its only identifying finn markings is the S.A. mark on the receiver and it has a Finnish handguard (the rest of the stock is russian). It is one of the ones all they did was stamp the SA mark on and sent it out to war. The bore is pretty good, not mint but what do you expect for 90.00. Also I like it because of the fact it is battle worn, no blueing, beat up stock, initials P.K. carved in the stock near the muzzle and non arsenal refinished [smile]. It also has some cartouches in the stock. Sorry but no pics now, some tomorrow (to rainy today). The only problem is it came with no accessories [frown].

Also I picked up another case of 440 rounds of 762x54r heavy ball, and my first arisaka bayonet.

Nice, and good price too.
All you need for accessories is to find an SA marked sling and maybe an SA marked ammo pouch. E bay is usually filled with them.

Here are the pics, it was raining out [frown] so I took them on my back deck.

The rifle (right side).

101_0088.jpg

The rifle (left side).

101_0093.jpg

The barrell markings.

101_0089.jpg

S.A. mark.

101_0094.jpg

P.K. initials.

101_0091.jpg

The stock cartouch.

101_0092.jpg

Nice, and good price too.
All you need for accessories is to find an SA marked sling and maybe an SA marked ammo pouch. E bay is usually filled with them.

The finns didnt issue bayonets ???

USMA-82

Forgive my ignorance but what is a winter war DVD (Im guessing a documentary).

Great looking rifle! Much cooler than the Finn 91/30 I have.

A standard 91/30 bayonet would fit on that rifle and as far as DVDs, The Winter War one is one of the best. Its like the Saving Pvt Ryan of the Finn/Soviet war. Fire and Ice is ok but gets boring after a while. You can find most of it online on Youtube I bet.

If I find any leads on Finn SA marked 91/30 slings or ammo pouches be it E Bay or distributors, I'll PM you the links.

Here is a poster I made of mine: http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=482154#post482154

Last edited:
This is definitely my favorite mosin (I only have 2). Milsurps 4 Me if you do get any leads definitely PM me. I will try and pick up that movie (if my parents are willing to let me order it).Thanks for the kind words guys.

One last thing this is the smoothest Mosin action I have ever felt [smile].

Last edited:
This is definitely my favorite mosin (I only have 2). Milsurps 4 Me if you do get any leads defiantly PM me. I will try and pick up that movie (if my parents are willing to let me order it).Thanks for the kind words guys.

One last thing this is the smoothest Mosin action I have ever felt [smile].

I will withhold from the scrivening for now.

Great find!

nice rifle my friend, i really like the wood and the metal has a nice vintage patina. good goin for $90 looks like a sweet deal.

Q- do guns like that mosin usully go for $90 or is that considerd a low price?

Last edited:
nice rifle my friend, i really like the wood and the metal has a nice vintage patina. good goin for $90 looks like a sweet deal.

Q- do guns like that mosin usully go for $90 or is that considerd a low price?

For a regular 91/30 yes 90.00 is regular price, for a finn anything 90.00 is a deal.

The reason I even noticed it was a finn was because I went to look at it because it was the only non refinished 91/30 there, and when I looked it was finn so I couldn't turn it down now knowing it was a finn.

I also love the been there done that look.

I concur with Dr. Milsurps. The spliced stock was used by the Finns to combat the warping that occurred when using rifles that were constantly wet, and constantly freezing/thawing out.

Another telltale sign that you have a Russian vs. a Finn stock is the placement of the cross-bolt. If you look at most Russian stocks, the bolt is usually placed pretty hap-hazard at the end of the finger goove - usually a little low and a 1/4 inch or so short of the end of the groove.

The Finn rifles, on the other hand, almost ALWAYS have the cross-bolt centered, and at the very end of the finger groove - just something they were fussy about.

Another telltale sign that you have a Russian vs. a Finn stock is the placement of the cross-bolt. If you look at most Russian stocks, the bolt is usually placed pretty hap-hazard at the end of the finger goove - usually a little low and a 1/4 inch or so short of the end of the groove.

The Finn rifles, on the other hand, almost ALWAYS have the cross-bolt centered, and at the very end of the finger groove - just something they were fussy about.

Good one... rep point your way.

I will withhold from the scrivening for now.
Sorry for jumping off topic but I love the idea of someone using "scrivening" as a verb.

Hope to post pics of my own new Mosin in the next week or so. I haven't used my C&R in a few months and its itching for a purchase.

Back
Top Bottom