I get pissed off when...

....I go into a gun store, and see all the nice toys I would like to buy. No kidding, I could easily drop a few thousand dollars there and then!!! Then I realize I couldn't afford to do that, I also realize that if I go home with anything more than a box of ammo or a cleaning kit that my wife is likely to kill me. [mg]

Don't get me wrong, my wife is not an anti by any stretch. How do you married guys get around this problem?

.....I also realize that if I go home with anything more than a box of ammo or a cleaning kit that my wife is likely to kill me. [mg]

.... How do you married guys get around this problem?

I've got plenty of room in my safe (or for you to bring by a new safe) for other people's toys [wink]

.... I've been lucky to stay single? [hmmm]

My wife falls asleep early, and if I open my front door and the cellar door I can sneak right by her while she's watching tv.
The only problem is when we go shooting I always get the "is that new?" No honey I bought that before we met.

....I go into a gun store, and see all the nice toys I would like to buy. No kidding, I could easily drop a few thousand dollars there and then!!! Then I realize I couldn't afford to do that, I also realize that if I go home with anything more than a box of ammo or a cleaning kit that my wife is likely to kill me. [mg]

Don't get me wrong, my wife is not an anti by any stretch. How do you married guys get around this problem?

You get divorced! [laugh]

.I also realize that if I go home with anything more than a box of ammo or a cleaning kit that my wife is likely to kill me. [mg]

I ended this "problem" a long time ago......because my wife is anti-anything that costs anything. I have way to many "interests" to be pigeon holed (and don't give a rats ass about what they cost), at 41 and gainfully employed, I don't and won't ever ask for permission to get what I want and what makes me happy [grin]. In the interest of peace in the house, many years ago, I got my own separate bank account and credit card, I have money direct deposited in the account each week and whatever I make on the side goes in too. I manage my own money, what makes this really nice is its all play money, I never worry if I'm taking $$ for the house, food , kids etc. and there is very little "what is that!?" in my life [wink]

One thing that's worked for me in the past is to get her something at the same time. Of course, a gun shopping trip can turn out to be very expensive.

I have a basement full of All-Clad pans and expensive knife sets. There is a heavy mixer still in the box, and at least 3 different size food processors.

Our budget makes room for both of us to buy things we want. Larger ticket items, or stuff for the 'house' get budgeted. Stuff like the new floor in the Bathroom, the new sink and faucet, and the large Cherry and Cedar storage chest are discussed.

Yes, she still rolls her eyes, but so long as the budget is maintained, the 'what' isn't an issue.

That said, stuff like the Barret 50 and the teak yard swing are both on the "wishlist". (^_^)

I know I'm in the minority here, but I simply buy whatever I want whenever I want, and my wife doesn't say a damn thing about any of it. I laid the ground rules out when we first started getting serious, and I made it quite clear that things would not change were we to get married. 5 years later things are rosy and solid. I think communication up front about these things is invaluable.

It bears mentioning that I work my nuts off at two different jobs and our finances are (and will remain) seperate.

YMMV.

As anyone who has met my wife will tell you, I married wisely.

You get divorced! [laugh]

No then you lose half your money. I have a big safe and a black range bag. She doesn't know how many are in there and we have our own rainy day funds for special purchases.

I do have a listing in the safe and next to my will of all the firearms and the approximate values. There is a list of keepers, and Carl card from four seasons for the rest.

To be honest, she's mostly good. It's just that there are always "more important" things that she wants me to buy. Such as a parasol for the bench furniture [rolleyes]...Or some landscaping rocks.....[rolleyes]

To be honest, she's mostly good. It's just that there are always "more important" things that she wants me to buy. Such as a parasol for the bench furniture [rolleyes]...Or some landscaping rocks.....[rolleyes]

"More important" to who?

I don't feel your pain in my own relationship, but I do empathize with you for sure bud...[smile]

One thing that helps in general is to try to get her interested in shooting.(Which I'm sure you've already tried)

In any case, if you've got a hankering to shoot some new goodies, post a list and I'll try to bring some of it to the car shoot! [smile]

Truthfully my wife is a lovely person and she grew up with guns (her brothers and her father and her son and grandson are/were avid hunters) and certainly has no objections to them but has no real interest in them (I have taken her to the range over the years but she simply isn't interested). What I discovered a long time ago is that basically all revolvers look the same to her, all rifles and shotguns look the same and all semi-automatic pistols look the same to her. This gives me the opportunity to buy and sell and trade pretty much as I please because she doesn't really know what I have. A long time ago we decided on separate checking accounts and we have our own separate incomes and divide up the household expenses, plus I also set up an allotment for her so she gets about a third of my Army retirement sent directly to her. This works out well for us and allows me to continue with my firearms collection. If we had children living at home, then there would be signifcantly more expenses and this would also impact on our current financial arrangement. Each of us is in a different situation, I think.

My first wife was an active shooter...and it was at a shooting event that she met the guy she eventually married after she left me for him. Sooo...be careful what you wish for in that regard.

Mark L.

Last edited:
One thing that's worked for me in the past is to get her something at the same time. Of course, a gun shopping trip can turn out to be very expensive.

That what I do, one Open gun for me, one for her, 10k primers for her, 10 for me, 1 skeet gun for her, 1 AR Billet Upper and Lower for me.

I was just saying this the other day at the gun shop, except I would have to be explaining to my husband why I thought we had enough money for guns but not enough for something else.[thinking]

I just squirrel away cash until I've got enough to buy something of the boomstick variety. As long as the credit card bill is paid in full every month, I buy what I want and tell her when I get home.

My wife's an anti. She hates guns about as much as I hate Obama. She threw roadblock after roadblock in the way whenever I asked if I could buy a gun. So I went through a period where I snuck 'em in whenever I could, which ended badly - no matter what, it's a bad idea to hide stuff from your significant other.

So we had a couple of big fights, and hammered out the agreement. As long as the bills are paid, I'm okay.

Needless to say, this year has been my "driest" year in half a decade, but... [wink]

We've solved this problem in our marriage by having three bank accounts. Our paychecks go into the "family" account, and monthly allowances move automatically from the family account to our two individual accounts. Once the money is in our individual account, we can do whatever the hell we want with it. But if we want to take money out of the family account we have to both agree.

It's worked out amazingly well. We never squabble about money, ever.

Easy- I pay all the bills. She keeps all her money. I squirrel away what I want for whatever I want. I keep her informed, mostly, but I have a house and children so that is my priority. When that is taken care of, I get what I like. I will say that next year may very well be the first in many that I did not aquire something.

We've solved this problem in our marriage by having three bank accounts. Our paychecks go into the "family" account, and monthly allowances move automatically from the family account to our two individual accounts. Once the money is in our individual account, we can do whatever the hell we want with it. But if we want to take money out of the family account we have to both agree.

It's worked out amazingly well. We never squabble about money, ever.

Very similiar...and I agree. We have a "house" acct. that is not touched for anything except paying bills, and other than that, is a mutual decision. My Army pension goes into a different acct. and is "off limits" for anything other than shooting...unless I wish to do otherwise.

Grin, my wife and I have been together since 1963 and I have to say that we have not once, not ever, had a disagreement about money. We are both realistic, cater to each other for wants/needs that the other would like to have, and have no problem with healthy discussion.

Hell, guess I'm a lucky SOB. [grin]

One of the great things about collecting military surplus rifles is - they all look the same to the gun-clueless.

When my wife sees a rifle field stripped and in several pieces on the workbench, all she sees is wood and metal. And when she asks why I'm cleaning that rifle AGAIN (actually the fifth or sixth rifle), I tell her it's important to carefully clean and maintain these guns to make sure they stay in working order and hold their value.

Then she goes back upstairs...

Hee,hee.

Someday she'll learn the truth and I'll die a slow death. But until that day - the more the merrier!

Back
Top Bottom