• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I don't have a shotgun - flame on

What problem does 16 rounds solve that 5 rounds does not solve?

Behold a 1981 Remington 870 Police. But Im left-handed so use a Mossberg....

A problem 3.2 times larger.

But seriously, it's the option for either more rounds or rapidly switching between buck, slug, etc.

What problem does 16 rounds solve that 5 rounds of 12ga 00 Buck does not solve? Thought I lived in a bad neighborhood!

Behold a 1981 Remington 870 Police. But Im left-handed so use a Mossberg....
This sounds a lot like "I carry a .45 revolver because all you need is a well placed shot, ain't nobody got time for 10-15 round mags".

Well, have you seen those videos of cops having to shoot someone like 10 times before they fall?

And some shots will miss.

So, to answer your question, having 3x as many shots can save your life.

When i was picking up my first shotgun, I went on an ammo run to new Hampshire.
I went to old glory guns and ammo and they had plenty of shotguns.

That was a month ago though.

Also, ill be the only one to say, I was about to get the Beretta 1301, but ended up last minute finding the generation before the 1301.
The bastard child of Beretta and benelli thats not on either of their sites that I can find.

The Beretta 1200fp for half the price.
Only negative is, no aftermarket and no picitinny rail for sights etc.

20200813_213526.jpg

Two of the fantastic old Norinco 1897 trench replicas have sold on the classifieds here in the past month. 20" barrel, takes a bayonet...

You can find what you need if you're patient and observant. I mean, you're retired now... you've got the time![smile]
There might still be another one. One guy had one buried in a post with like 20 other guns he is selling. It wasnt in the shotgun section, maybe it was in the handgun section.

The shotgun was $1K. Not an original trench, but it is a conversion that looks well maid.

It might still be around.

There might still be another one. One guy had one buried in a post with like 20 other guns he is selling. It wasnt in the shotgun section, maybe it was in the handgun section.

The shotgun was $1K. Not an original trench, but it is a conversion that looks well maid.

It might still be around.

I got one of the ones napoleon1815 was selling, at a fair price from a great seller. I think 1k is pretty high, but it's definitely a really well-made and highly regarded repro. And so much fun to shoot!

Plus, of course... 16-inch bayonet. No shotgun could ever be more "tactical" than a shottie that takes a bayo and actually went to war and blasted hand grenades out of the air. Even if it's a repro.

I got one of the ones napoleon1815 was selling, at a fair price from a great seller. I think 1k is pretty high, but it's definitely a really well-made and highly regarded repro. And so much fun to shoot!

Plus, of course... 16-inch bayonet. No shotgun could ever be more "tactical" than a shottie that takes a bayo and actually went to war and blasted hand grenades out of the air. Even if it's a repro.
The one for $1K is an original 1897. Just not the "trench gun". Someone cut the barrel and turned it into a trench gun. Which still sells for $1K+ on Gunbroker. You can tell because the barrell says "full".

The reproduction teach guns are solid guns. I have one.

That doesn't seem to insanely priced 🤷‍♂️

That doesn't seem to insanely priced 🤷‍♂️

I was looking at that. I'm not really a shottie guy, so I've never heard of it.

Can it be used without the detachable mag? Like, shells in the tube and fired like a normal gun, with the mag out?

If I didn’t own a shotgun, I’d buy a nice simple double barrel (preferably side by side) with screw in chokes. If things go to hell, a couple minutes with a hacksaw gives you a serious weapon to takeout home invaders.

I'm fast with the double barrel, you unlock the action and eject the 2 spent rounds over your shoulder, feed 2 rounds and close action on the way to getting the sight picture back. They're compact, too, with the comb tucked paintball style you only need like 14" of space to swing the barrel around. Just really don't want to fire one indoors without hearing protection.

10F3CFE3-1F95-459C-B27E-10742FDA127E.jpeg
Can’t go wrong with a mossberg 500/590. I accidentally commandeered that gun from my father [smile]. The super x3 has been a dead reliable semi, 26 inch barrel with chokes can hold its own shooting clays and the nordic components tube provides the shell capacity to fix just about any problem one could run across.

I think the 870 Police model has 18" or 18.5" barrel.
I bought an 18.5" barrel for my Wingmaster. Can't remember exactly where. Online for sure.

ETA: Coach guns also have short barrels.

I have an Iver Johnson single barrel 12 gauge that I bought in 1968 for $12.50 with two boxes of shells. It has a 28" barrel that I could cut to 18.50", would that work?

I still think I found goldilocks. Mossy 590 accu-choke, 8+1 with a threaded barrel and ghost rings. Bird gun? No, but I’d be willing to try. Tacticool? Yup! I was initially thinking semi-auto, but I’ve just been emulating Paul Harrell for the past year with my “pull-rack” training, and damn if I’m not almost half as fast as him.

Does OP have a shotty yet? Get on it son!
I’ll buy, sell, and trade handguns and rifles all day long, but I have an honest to goodness sentimental attachment to my shotgun.

My FIL carried a 16 and a shotgun in Vietnam. If that, plus a 1911 got him through 2 tours, the same combo plus a G19 should get me through whatever comes my way, or it bloody should. If I can’t make it work with that, I have no business marrying a Marine’s daughter.

Edit- just buy a reputable pump action and fall in love. I’ll get a semi some day, but it starts with a pump.

Last edited:
Deleted the email. Four Seasons had an off brand tactical shotgun on their site today. Don’t remember the details ☹
Was a silver eagle RZ17 tactical for $299. Turkish made, 12ga, 4+1. Sold out that day.
According to yesterday’s email, waiting for another shipment.

I'm fast with the double barrel, you unlock the action and eject the 2 spent rounds over your shoulder, feed 2 rounds and close action on the way to getting the sight picture back. They're compact, too, with the comb tucked paintball style you only need like 14" of space to swing the barrel around. Just really don't want to fire one indoors without hearing protection.
Problem with a lot of bird guns is the safety re-engages automatically ehen you close the action. So you'd have to fix that, or train it out... lol

I owned about 15 semi auto rifles before I bought a shotgun, more of a sign of the times where we prioritize the stuff they want to take away. I'm not a hunter so a shotgun is just rounding a collection for me.

If you ever see one, a Stevens 320 is a great basic shotgun. I really like the internal design, very simple compared to a 500/590, a lot easier to strip.

I guess I should add, the fudd community isn't exactly ear-to-the-ground when it comes to firearm eratta shortages.

I hate Armslist but my guess is if you monitor it closely you will find an 870 or 500/590 at non rape prices in a hunting configuration pops up. Then you will have a shotgun that can take parts to get to a basic 18.5 barrel configuration.

Back
Top Bottom