"I can't tell you about that"

A few years ago I was thinking about my service and how none of my family knows what I did for those 4 years. All my wife knows is that I got up in the AM (or whatever time) and went to 'work'.

All my family knows is that I was in the Army Security Agency.

That's all they can know.

And that's not 'posing'.

There are many 'non posers' out there.

A few years ago I was thinking about my service and how none of my family knows what I did for those 4 years. All my wife knows is that I got up in the AM (or whatever time) and went to 'work'.

All my family knows is that I was in the Army Security Agency.

That's all they can know.

And that's not 'posing'.

There are many 'non posers' out there.

I hear ya, but I am also lucky to have served with hubby,and know what he did, and also my friends. The only way I found out that my dad was in MI and i don't know what he did, was when I told him I was being stationed at Field Station Berlin. Otherwise the only thing he had told us was that he was in the Navy.

When I mentioned to my wife the fact that no one knew what I did, and that as far as anyone knew, I went out and 'sanctioned' people, she looked at me funny and said, "did you?"

I said that if I told her, I'd have to kill her." [smile]

Sometimes having a mysterious job can be fun.

Last edited:
When I mentioned to my wife the fact that no one knew what I did, and that as far as anyone knew, I went out and 'sanctioned' people, she looked at me funny and said, "did you?"

I said that if I told her, I'd have to kill her." [smile]

Sometimes having a mysterious job can be fun.

As I have been told numerous times, it is UNIQUE.[wink][laugh]

Funny thing about being a flight deck guy, your job usually more dangerous during training ops than combat ops. Those little red and white birds coming in for their first carrier landing scared the bejeezus out of me more times than I can remember. We were really relieved when we started up OIF because our flight schedule went from 20 hours a day to a nice relaxed pace of 12-14 hours. I called my family before I went out one training det off the East Coast, and my sister was relieved that I wasn't going anywhere dangerous. I still get a kick out of that.

Flight deck jobs are crazy shit

And I'm not just talking about the big ones. One of my jobs on Reuben James was FDSO (white shirt) and my station was right next to the LSO (yellow shirt). Him and the blue shirts were from my division (deck):

030429-N-5067K-005.jpg

I've been lucky enough to actually have met a few of the real deals including one Maj with special forces and ranger tabs who was the former cmdr of an sf unit. The stories he told my class were ridiculous and I'm sure you could go broke buying the guy enough beers trying to hear the rest of them. I would never dream of pretending to be someone like him for fear he would find out or something [laugh]

When my brother was in the Marine Corps they were touring a Navy base and came upon an attack sub. They asked one of the NCO's hanging around "how deep will it go?" He said "I can't tell you - that's classified." So, then they asked him how fast it would go and he said "That's like the depth."[laugh]

I was out doing some recon in our border area one day in Germany and drove up a tree-covered hill to see if it was suitable for an OP or firing position. And there I found an installation with a couple of buildings, a bunch of antennas, and several vehicles with US Army plates. Big fence around it marked no trespassing. It wasn't on the German topo maps or our border maps. I didn't stick around to see any humans.

When my brother was in the Marine Corps they were touring a Navy base and came upon an attack sub. They asked one of the NCO's hanging around "how deep will it go?" He said "I can't tell you - that's classified." So, then they asked him how fast it would go and he said "That's like the depth."[laugh]

I was out doing some recon in our border area one day in Germany and drove up a tree-covered hill to see if it was suitable for an OP or firing position. And there I found an installation with a couple of buildings, a bunch of antennas, and several vehicles with US Army plates. Big fence around it marked no trespassing. It wasn't on the German topo maps or our border maps. I didn't stick around to see any humans.

We always had wayyyyyy to much fun when soldiers from the other Kaserne would accidently get on one of our buses. It was also fun watching our MP's chase the Russians and East Germans that would try and get on to our site.[laugh]

I've been lucky enough to actually have met a few of the real deals including one Maj with special forces and ranger tabs who was the former cmdr of an sf unit. The stories he told my class were ridiculous and I'm sure you could go broke buying the guy enough beers trying to hear the rest of them. I would never dream of pretending to be someone like him for fear he would find out or something [laugh]

I also hang out on a spec ops board...they have no problem going after posers. They were amused I knew about one of their units in Berlin. Funny thing was their unit was right next door to our company.[grin]

I was Army Security Agency and USAFSS we really could not talk about that, since were cheap labor for NSA. However I can now, since it's all de-classified and it's still, effing boring

Last edited:
I think I'm one of the real operators that y'all are talking about, and I've got the scars to prove it!

Ya see, those oven racks get mighty hot with those gasoline burners underneath them... sometimes we even burned our widdle fingers! And working over those hot sinks...

Oh, that's NOT the kind of operators you're talking about? I'm NOT hard-core enough? I guess that's because when the kitchen got TOO hot, we could always find the need to go re-organize the refrigerator...

[rofl]

Everyone I know with "good" stories rarely lets it out past their military circles. I can't say any of the guys I know have seen a lot (Phantom Fury, Korangal Valley, Nasiriyah, etc) seem particularly happy. The "thousand yard stare" isn't made up.

Mike

Last edited:
Flight deck jobs are crazy shit

And I'm not just talking about the big ones. One of my jobs on Reuben James was FDSO (white shirt) and my station was right next to the LSO (yellow shirt). Him and the blue shirts were from my division (deck):

030429-N-5067K-005.jpg

When I was on TAO-204 Rappahannock, I got to play for the red team, although I did a little bit of everything except the LSO stuff.

Hooking a net full of cargo onto a copter 6" above my head is probably one of the most frightening things I've ever done, right up there with chaining the nose gear of a copter that just landed.

ETA: The Tom Clancy fan in me is jealous that you served on the Reuben James.

There are a lot of actual heavy hitters on this board. I'm not one of them, but I've talked to more than a few guys on this board who are in fact Special Forces, Rangers, Marines and oter HSLD jobs.

Sure there are some people on here that are FOS, but there are a bunch who are the real deal. If you use your head you can figure out who they are. They're the one's who don't talk about specifics or valor. They talk about the stupid stuff they did, and getting in trouble.

The last thing they do is share the very private, no, intimate thoughts they have with strangers over the internet. We have a lot of people who use a rank or title in their handle. To those rangers and friends and fighters, I say thank you very much.

You know who you are. More importantly, many of us do too and sure appreciate your service.

I work at the Vets Office at my collage and hear some of the stories either in the office (rarely) or over beers. I've never really had an urge to talk about anything I've done (not really a whole lot in my eyes) to anyone who hasn't served. I just don't think people really understand unless they've been there themselves.

So when ever I hear someone telling stories about this and that to someone who isn't prior service - that's a big red flag for me.

saw this on a blog I follow. I've never had the privilege to serve my country but this stuff pisses me off.

http://f***yeahteamamerica.tumblr.com/post/4974317130/jafw-marine-just-another-f***in-wannabe-marine

thank you to those who ACTUALLY have served both past and present.

AS former CO of SEAL Team 6(or SEAL Team Shhhhh)My hardest billett was instructor at BUDs. I taught demo and underwater knife fighting...

It's amazing how many people were in team 6. I've met more people from team 6 than I've met who were on the same aircraft carriers I was on. And I was on a few carriers. But the only seals I met while I was in were from team 8. Weird.

You know, I used to do a lot of stuff that I can't tell you about. If I could it would probably bore you to death. Mind this was as a civilian, not a soldier, but every classified thing I worked on was dead boring. There were some things related to doing it that were fun. Getting to drive a real Humvee, not the civilian version and a couple visits to some places that were scenic.

Only recon I ever did invloved locating the nearest snack machine,roach coach or a empty truck bed to sleep in while in the field. I was nothing more then a grease monkey turning wrenches under a truck.

I've found the more believable vets to be the ones that affirm they were 'there' but don't say much about it.

My thanks to all those that put it on the line defending this country.

Even with its warts, this is the greatest nation on earth.

i find that everyone i meet since i have been out of the Marines that are Marines as well were all either Recon or Sniper. Hmmmmmmmmm! The majority is all sniper. Odd one of the smallest MOS and they all happen to be from MA.

Back
Top Bottom