I am looking for a good and inexpensive game/trail camera. Suggestions?

My friend has a small parcel of property that he regularly sees deer on and he wants me to hunt them. I am licensed and will be bow hunting this due to the proximity to other homes. I do not own any trail cameras but would like to purchase one or two reasonably priced cameras to get an idea of when they are around but wow there sure are a lot of options out there. Can anyone shed some light on what I should be looking at? I would like something that is good quality and will last at a reasonable price - what that price is I have no idea since I am not sure what I am looking at.

I have recently received the midway emails with a trail camera on sale for about half off, but 140ish dollars still seems expensive? http://www.midwayusa.com/product/337456/spypoint-ir-b-infrared-digital-game-camera-70-megapixel-spypoint-darkforest-camo-with-lithium-battery-and-battery-charger?cm_vc=TT018

I like the Stealth Camera's that run on AA batteries. I find the AA batteries are easier and less expensive than C batts. The sale price of the one at Midway is a good average price. Price range will most likely be $100 - $200ish but remember that you may pay more for a "name". The sale camera has good features that should be standard in any new game camera nowadays.

I spent about $100 bucks on mine. Stealth cam 540ir
It has the ir instead of the flash to not spook the animals. Well, it still spooks them, but is still better than a flash of light. Mine is a couple years old now but still works pretty well and the batteries last a long time on standby if nothing is tripping it. The new model similar to the one I have is still reasonably priced at BPS, I think it is 8mp where mine is a 5mp.
I have been quite happy with it and take it for what it is worth. It is not as fast (trigger speed) as the more expensive models so you will get some missed shots, but it is about $300 bucks cheaper, and I'm ok with that.
Take a look in the trail cam thread and you will see some video under my user name, it all came from my stealth cam.

BTW..Get rechargeable batteries. I have 16 C cells that I have been rotating for a couple of years now. Saves quite a bit.
And if you are not going to be around the area for a long time, they have big external batteries that you can plug into the bottom of the cam for extended standby.

Last edited:
I have just never heard of Spypoint cameras. Might be great! I just never heard of them before.
I have another cam, (Wildgame innovations) that I wont even use because it sucks that bad. Check reviews.

Thanks for doing some shopping! Unfortunately that one is out of stock. I might see if I can scavenge a cheap one on craigslist and then just give it to my buddy to move around in his yard for me.

I've been happy with my Primos Truthcam60. A guide I've used uses the Truthcam 46 or something. Mixed reviews, but I like that it has IR and can do all sorts of video and stills at different quality levels. Easy to set up.

Bought it using American Express reward points, so kinda free depending on how you value those.

I use WGI 8mp cameras. Had one crap out last week. Returned it last night and they're on sale for 89. Normally 119. Got a new camera, and 30 cash n hand. Good camera, does take some white out pics.
I've read that they're a hit or miss camera, and I believe it to be true.

They aren't the fanciest, but if you cruise a few tractor supplies and find one in stock they have some on clearance for $30. Its a 2mp with an sd slot. Pretty basic but its 30 freakin' dollars!

I have screwed around with trail cams, and it has all come down to the bushnell. ITs $150, but the trigger on it is great, and the batteries last a year.

Thanks for responding. Luckily, my buddy with the deer in his yard got one for Christmas so I am going to pass on buying one for now. Lucky me!

Back
Top Bottom