I always heard .17hmr was an accurate cartridge but damn.

whacko

NES Member
Cz 457 in .17hmr with a vortex crossfire 0 to 4 power scope. First off the rifle isn't mine it was a gift to my son. We took it to the range today so he could zero it.

The rifle is a beautiful piece for a rimfire. Very nicely made and the trigger is just perfection.

Those are 3 each 3 shot GROUPS at 50 yards. There are 9 holes in that target! That's a 3 shot group in the center ring after his last adjustment. I forgot to take a pic but the group at 100 yards was the size of my thumbnail.

Hes gonna have fun Squirrel hunting this fall.
20230416_095824.jpg

Last edited:
Cz 457 in .17hmr with a vortex crossfire 0 to 4 power scope. First off the rifle isn't mine it was a gift to my son. We took it to the range today so he could zero it.

The rifle is a beautiful piece for a rimfire. Very nicely made and the trigger is just perfection.

Those are 3 each 3 shot GROUPS at 50 yards. There are 9 holes in that target! That's a 3 shot group in the 10 ring after his last adjustment. I forgot to take a pic but the group at 100 yards was the size of my thumbnail.

Hes gonna have fun Squirrel hunting this fall.
View attachment 743024
The bullets have a tendency to shove into the casing when feeding, depending on the rifle. I have a lever action that shoots 17hmr and it's a tack driver (small tacks of course). Just watch closely until you know your rifle's behavior.

17hmr is extremely accurate vs. similar rimfires.

I loved shooting clays at 100 yards with my Savage 17hmr, then when they break picking off the broken pieces.

Why does the group open up that much at 100 when it is about the smallest group I’ve seen at 50? Does the wind affect the light bullet that much?

An accurate rife AND an accurate shooter.

How much damage does the 17HMR do to a squirrel?
They make a good squirrel round for sure. Not so good for shooting say out back of your house in the woods because they are pretty loud compared to a 22 lr. I usually shoot in a field behind my house but only with a 22 as my new neighbors will complain hearing a 17 hmr.

They make a good squirrel round for sure. Not so good for shooting say out back of your house in the woods because they are pretty loud compared to a 22 lr. I usually shoot in a field behind my house but only with a 22 as my new neighbors will complain hearing a 17 hmr.
We hunt public land in nh usually with shotguns so a .17 hmr shouldn't be an issue.

Why does the group open up that much at 100 when it is about the smallest group I’ve seen at 50? Does the wind affect the light bullet that much?
Wind Def effects the 17 grain bullets but also its only a 4 power scope so getting the cross hair dead center at 100 yards is a little harder. But a thumbnail size group at 100 isn't anything to complain about imo

Yes, very accurate, so long as the wind is cooperative. This one I built up to go some where and make short work out of whatever as it's not really a carry around rifle as it's a bit on the heavy side, I've others for that. A Savage BSEV in 17 HMR. I added two rear end swivel studs (rears are longer than rear, front for the added weight of the pod) quick release swivels, a Brownells Latigo sling (pull one way for carry, pull the other way for a hasty sling, you can change the settings), a Harris 6-9 swivel bipod with a lock lever and a 3-12X side parallax adjustable bdc scope. The pod can just pop off and the swivel be attached to the stud. The fun part is when I describe it and color comes up, I just say all of them. I will say though that Savage makes the cheapest feeling magazines ever but they do work flawlessly.

SavageBSEVimage_zpscecc0e6a.jpg

On a no wind day, it's nothing to take the heads off of small green (or tan) army men at 50 yards and one little ragged hole at 100.

Yes, very accurate, so long as the wind is cooperative. This one I built up to go some where and make short work out of whatever as it's not really a carry around rifle as it's a bit on the heavy side, I've others for that. A Savage BSEV in 17 HMR. I added two rear end swivel studs (rears are longer than rear, front for the added weight of the pod) quick release swivels, a Brownells Latigo sling (pull one way for carry, pull the other way for a hasty sling, you can change the settings), a Harris 6-9 swivel bipod with a lock lever and a 3-12X side parallax adjustable bdc scope. The pod can just pop off and the swivel be attached to the stud. The fun part is when I describe it and color comes up, I just say all of them. I will say though that Savage makes the cheapest feeling magazines ever but they do work flawlessly.

View attachment 743272

On a no wind day, it's nothing to take the heads off of small green (or tan) army men at 50 yards and one little ragged hole at 100.
I'll say after one trip to the range with my son that 17hmr is proving to be an interesting cartridge. And the cz rifle is VERY well made.

Wind Def effects the 17 grain bullets but also its only a 4 power scope so getting the cross hair dead center at 100 yards is a little harder. But a thumbnail size group at 100 isn't anything to complain about imo
We might have different sized thumbnails. I see what you mean. I can't shoot a thumbnail sized group at 100 yards with any gun. It just seemed to me that the group more than doubled from the one in the picture to get to be as big as a thumbnail but maybe I just overanalyzed it. Its about the best group I've ever seen at 50 yards.

I love 17HMR. I originally got a 455 varmint in 17HMR. Nice rifle, but I eventually got the 457 American version because I wanted to be able to shoot it off-hand more comfortably. From the bench both are just stupid accurate. I usually don't even bother putting out a target, just take to pulverizing pieces of clay strewn around on the 100 yard berm when shooting from the bench. In the end, though, I decided having both was redundant, so I installed a 16.5" Acculite 22LR match barrel on the 455. That's pretty sweet, too, and oh so light.

Where is the other pic everyone keeps talking about?

I see the OP was edited last night, was the pic removed?

OP, what size is that circle?
I never removed any pic. I edited only for spelling errors. I'm not sure what the size of that bullseye is but the hole in the middle is just a c hair more then .17 of an inch 😂

I never removed any pic. I edited only for spelling errors. I'm not sure what the size of that bullseye is but the hole in the middle is just a c hair more then .17 of an inch 😂
Very nice.

Back
Top Bottom