HUNTING WITH GHILLIE SUIT:

Broc

NES Member
I was at the local army/navy store today getting some foot warmers, and i saw that they got some nice ghillie suits ($100). they are a 5 piece suit, including a cover for the gun. I was going to get one, but then i thought that it might not be a good idea to hunt in New England with a Ghillie suit. It might get caught on every little branch and thorn.

what do you guys think?

does anyone here use one?

if you do have one, do you think it helped you increase your success?

I made one to use for waterfowl hunting. Its amazing how well it hides you, but I would not reccommend one for walking around, mine was heavy and caught on everything.

Sew up a poncho from a white bed sheet, works like a charm and can be folded up in a pack until ready to use. We used them for laying in fields for geese with snow on the ground, they work great.

I bought one at the store in Attleboro a few years ago it was the same thing you describe (# of pieces and price). It was crap I used it once coyote hunting and it fell apart. Its like it wasn't woven together tight enough. All the material was falling out.

Wearing hunting orange on top of it might defeat the purpose there.

He could get the BLAZE ORNAGE hat to match:

ghillie_blaze_web_photo_607s.jpg

OR, Rock the ORANGE ghillie vest to go over the suit:

shaggieovest.jpg

OR, wear an orange shirt UNDER the Ghillie Suit like a total n00b:

010-1.jpg

See, there are many different options to "make it work". LOL

When the actually Ghillie suit I tried didn't work because of the low quality I bought the Cabelas TCS 3D camo. It works great. Its a lot lighter than a Ghillie suit also. I wear it predator hunting. I think it would work great for turkeys I just don't like eating them or hunting them. I would try a real Ghillie suit again if I made it (which I would like to try) or I found a place to buy a quality suit.

When the actually Ghillie suit I tried didn't work because of the low quality I bought the Cabelas TCS 3D camo. It works great. Its a lot lighter than a Ghillie suit also. I wear it predator hunting. I think it would work great for turkeys I just don't like eating them or hunting them. I would try a real Ghillie suit again if I made it (which I would like to try) or I found a place to buy a quality suit.

i was reading reviews about that cabelas ghillie. a lot of people say its crap. When you go to the review section, either people give it 4 or 5 stars, or they give it one. there is no in between.

heres a place that sells them: http://www.ghilliesuitplus.com/

or, here are some military ones: http://www.theghilliesuits.com/military-ghillie-suit.html

i think i might get one. using a tree stand for coyotes is a pain in the A**, specially if they are not there and you need to move.

I had an army navy $100 dollar suit that made me invisible in the woods but the pants not only get caught on everything but it will rip parts off the thorns and snarl up in the twines. I found it also made me about 10% louder while trying to walk through the woods on a path and off a path was out of the question. Not bad to own one though I bought a second one. I also bought one of those leafy 3-d fake ghillie suits and it works awesome for deer light and quiet.

I didn't see this mentioned, but guille for hunting and guille for hiding from people are 2 totaly different things. People notice color, animals notice shape.

I would think a flight suit/burlap ghillie would work well for ground hunting in decent cover since it would give you the look of a mound of earth covered in vegetation. I would suggest making one yourself for a few reasons including sense of accomplishment, matching the colors/vegetation of your hunting ground and the fact that you can make it for under $60 and it will be infinitely more durable than the chinese made ones. there are a few video's on youtube that can get you started

I didn't see this mentioned, but guille for hunting and guille for hiding from people are 2 totaly different things. People notice color, animals notice shape.

yes, they notice shapes, but way before they notice the shape, they either hear a sound or smell you. animals trust their nose more than their sight.

I would suggest making one yourself

i will. I went back to the army/navy store, and checked it out. they seem pretty easy to make, and my girlfriend loves sewing. So i asked her to help me make one.

the one thing i did buy is the rifle cover. that looked good.

if you make your own, a good tip i picked up is the green spider wire braided thread works good as a thread for making a ghillie (or repairing most any outdoor equipment that gets ripped)

Back
Top Bottom