• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hunting with a Mink

Is a mink a ferret?

Ferreting: it is unlawful to hunt with a ferret. Possession of non-vaccinated/unneutered ferrets/fitches without a permit is unlawful.

Is a mink a ferret?
Ferreting: it is unlawful to hunt with a ferret. Possession of non-vaccinated/unneutered ferrets/fitches without a permit is unlawful.
Mink are related to ferrets, likely treated the same under that law. Can't use them for hunting in NH either. I wonder how a ferret would do at eradicating my chipmunk problem?

Mink are nasty cruel creatures, basically they're like Fisher without the screaming and with nicer fur. I used to do some work for a ferret rescue group (yuppies would buy them as pets, dump them when they couldn't stand the musk, poop, etc), and one of the ladies who ran the group had a pet mink. Beautiful , but mean. The mink too.

I stumbled onto some recent videos by Joseph Carter "The Mink Man", then did a search here and found this old thread from five years ago. These minks are freakin' rat killing machines!

I saw a YouTube video of some Brits hunting rabbit with a ferrit. They turned the ferrit loose near the entrance to a bunch of rabbit holes and they stand nearby with the shotguns at eh low ready. Ferrit heads into the holes and flushed the bunnies out and boom!

Ill see if I can dig up a link.

I saw a YouTube video of some Brits hunting rabbit with a ferrit. They turned the ferrit loose near the entrance to a bunch of rabbit holes and they stand nearby with the shotguns at eh low ready. Ferrit heads into the holes and flushed the bunnies out and boom!

Not very sporting, is it?

I wonder what the life expectancy of the ferret is.

Not very sporting, is it?

I wonder what the life expectancy of the ferret is.
No different than running rabbits with beagles in my opinion.

Also....it was a pest control hunt on a farm in England. Rabbits were eating up the crops. They killed at least 40 rabbits in one day and they were going to butcher them and freeze the meat for ferret food for winter. Ferrits in the video were well cared for and they actually quit early because the ferrits were getting tired. I didn't see a problem with it.

Ill see if I can dig up a link.

I saw a video similar to that, but they used nets over the other rabbit holes. When the ferret chased them out, they were caught in the nets.

True, but if you intend to eat them and save the pelts, it's better if there aren't any pellet holes.
I've eaten piles of shotgun hunted rabbits and snowshoe hares......when I field dress them the pellets are usually between the skin and muscle on the opposite side. Easy to find and not usually stuck in the meat. ive never had a problem with eating em that way. Harvesting for pelts is a different story I suppose.

not what I would choose, but you'll be the best dressed guy out there.

russian-fur-coats-mens-fresh-real-fur-coat-men-winter-luxury-mink-fur-jacket-natural-cross-mink-of-russian-fur-coats-mens.jpg

Back
Top Bottom