hunting season?

I was wondering if there are any hunting seasons going on right now? The reason I'm asking is today i was walking my dog in the woods near my house and i spotted a tree stand and some kind of bait bag like 20 feet away. there is no shooting in the town i live in and I'm almost sure there is no hunting too. This is on town land and a hundred yards across from a school playground. I guess I'm trying to find out what they would be hunting and if they are doing it legal. I'm just concerned they could be poaching deer or something. If this is illegal should i take some sort of action the last thing i want to do is snitch on anyone. Any thoughts would be good. oh by the way i was through there about two weeks ago and there was no stand but i could have missed it.

Bowhunting...deer...illegally. Make an anonymous call to DCR, they'll check it out.

Last edited:
You said you could have missed the stand. It may have been three all along. I leave stands in the woods all year long. I also supplement feed the deer in the area in late winter to early spring till the greens start to sprout.

I would find a way to see if anyone is actually climbing into the stand first. A rubber band between steps perhaps. If there is a pull rope wrap it around to one of the steps high up out of reach. If he is poaching out of the stand he will need to unwrap it to hoist his bow up. If it stays where you put it no one is poaching there.

I have also heard of anti's baiting hunters treestands and then turning them in. Not a nice tactic but they are not nice people often.

Also you said you found a "bait bag". Did you find any bait? Grain, apples etc....? Or was it just a discarded "bait bag"? Was it a Bait bag or was it a mineral attractant bag? They can look similar. Some people create mineral licks this time of year too. That is perfectly legal as is feeding this time of year. Either way they should have picked up their trash.

Last edited:
I'm not really sure what the bag in the tree was I'm not a hunter but it was a little cammo bag with a little spout coming off the bottom it was stuffed with something firm. I'm almost positive the stand wasnt there all winter it wasnt dirty and the cammo pad was dry I'm thinking it went up in the last few days. I look for wild mushrooms in this spot quit often and never saw anyone else in the area. I thought about makeing the stand go away or a making a call but i dont want to be a jerk until i know what is going on first. I think i will investigate further.

It’s possible someone is gearing up for a little turkey hunting at the end of the month. The season starts on the 27th so they have until the 17th to get rid of the feed bag. Until then they can throw out some corn a few times a day to try to get the turkey to the area. They can use a bow as long as it’s 150 ft from the road.

I don’t know what town you’re in but I can’t say I’ve heard of any that have a prohibition against hunting in general, just discharge of firearms.

I don't know... I leave my stand out all year, and I went there about a week ago since hunting there in the fall, and It did look like it was in good shape.

Also 100 yards away from a playground? Are you sure about that? 100 yards is pretty close, and if in fact in is only 100 yards away I would suspect that he is maybe taking pictures or just bird watching.

IF it were me I wouldn't call anyone until I knew what was going on.

Sounds weird but I'd mind my own if it were me. As for "making a stand disappear", that is a seriously scummy thing to do. Thievery is thievery no matter what your intention. If I caught someone monkeying with my stand during hunting season there'd be hell to pay. That being said I take my stand down at the end of the season. Mass laws specifically prohibit leaving a permanent stand up on public land.

Yes that was it.
Ya i thought about that 100 yards yesterday after i posted it might be more like 300 or 400

That's a "scent dripper." People will put in doe estrous scent, and other various deer scents that will hopefully attract deer to their stand. My guess is the stand has been there the whole time, and you just missed it. You should probably leave well enough alone. I'm sure the guy has enough issues with the PTA moms blowing his cover while walking their dogs.

Ya your all right I will leave well enough alone. I never really wanted to mess with anything just to find out what they could be hunting. I will just keep an eye out when walking the dog. I'm in support of people hunting but I dont think i would like it if they where taking deer out of season.

I personally go up my syands all year long as i've been doing all week filming the deer in my area. and someone made one of my brand new stands "disappear" last year and now somtimes i will watch one stand with another so i can find the dick.

I make sure that all of my stands are well secured with locks and chains if I plan on leaving them. I even go as far as hiding them with fallen branches, leaves, etc after I climb down. However, a friend of mine had his stand ripped up and pissed on last year after someone failed to steal it.

Yes that was it.
Ya i thought about that 100 yards yesterday after i posted it might be more like 300 or 400

150 feet from a road and 500 feet from an occupied dwelling. Playgrounds dont have distance requirements. Common sense should rule however. 100 yards for a bowhunter should be fine. Especially from a treestand where all shots are angled down to the ground. In addition inthe early fall when it is warm enough for the playground to be busy bowhunting is really mostly an hour after sunrise and an hour before sunset. During those time periods playgrounds are typically deserted anyways.

Back
Top Bottom